Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 17,750 times

Advertisements

I am about to relocate from Cincinnati to Indianapolis. This 275 mile daily drive is killing me.

One of the first properties I ran into was Van Rooy. They appear to have been doing a lot of revamping of these old buildings downtown.

Anyone have any experience with this company?

I like the St. James. It's at 21st and Meridian
I like the Buckingham/Balmoral. I think thats 31st and Meridian

A few of the ones I like are in old Northside, the Chatham Arch.

I'm told that $650 is a bit high for a 1 bedroom.

I wouldn't know since I've been a homeowner for the past 12 years and am downsizing.

I'm a bachelor, single, and decided to travel light until or if I ever get married again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Van Rooy has a vast inventory of those needing renovation, midrange and highend. They have a better reputation than Stallard and Zender if you are comparing big property managers. Check out Buckingham Group too since they have recently entered the market big time.
Buckingham Urban Living in Downtown Indianapolis. or some such.

I would gather a pro and con and always consider the cost of what utilities are not included, parking, and commuting in the equation. If you work downtown and dont have to commute except by foot, it is a big cost savings. You will pay a bit more downtown but wow, walk to everything going on. We also have grocery, farmers market, renovated City Market, all the sports venues, bars, etc. No need to get in a car.

I live a tiny bit north in St. Joseph neighborhood and love it and all the surrounding neighborhoods. You cant go wrong so pick the distance you want to be away from downtown.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:38 AM

The Buckingham are outside of my budget. I'm looking at no more than $600 for a studio/1BR.

Traveling light, being frugal is my mantra until I meet someone, settle down, get married, and get another mortgage.

Right now, I am torn between slightly more expensive and being in the mix (nightlife and stuff) or being out of the mix and more frugal suburban living such as The Scarborough (studio and 1BR) which a lot of folks are recommending..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODYMAN View Post
The Buckingham are outside of my budget. I'm looking at no more than $600 for a studio/1BR.

Traveling light, being frugal is my mantra until I meet someone, settle down, get married, and get another mortgage.

Right now, I am torn between slightly more expensive and being in the mix (nightlife and stuff) or being out of the mix and more frugal suburban living such as The Scarborough (studio and 1BR) which a lot of folks are recommending..
Are you referring to Scarborough Lake apartments on the NW side (46th and High School)? If so, I recommend you pay a little more and be "in the mix." I'd think a single guy would enjoy it much more.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Are you referring to Scarborough Lake apartments on the NW side (46th and High School)? If so, I recommend you pay a little more and be "in the mix." I'd think a single guy would enjoy it much more.
Indeed. That is the place my co-workers are recommending.

Interesting, I was thinking about this last night on the long arse drive home (I have plenty of time to think driving 1:50 each way every day. LOL). I kinda think I would enjoy the mix a bit more - but I'm cheap.

A fella from Van Rooy is eager to set me up in a few places downtown..he's just waiting for me to decide when and where.

I want a nice studio/1br spot that is safe, not too isolated, and where I can walk if I wanna to do stuff. I just don't want to lay out tons of loot.

My last child support payment is at the end of this month, so I'll have a bit extra.. so I guess I could go as high at $650-700/month. I also have my eyes on a new VW GTI, so you know I have to have my priorities right, you dig?

Other than that..I am kinda cheap. LOL

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODYMAN View Post
Indeed. That is the place my co-workers are recommending.

Interesting, I was thinking about this last night on the long arse drive home (I have plenty of time to think driving 1:50 each way every day. LOL). I kinda think I would enjoy the mix a bit more - but I'm cheap.

A fella from Van Rooy is eager to set me up in a few places downtown..he's just waiting for me to decide when and where.

I want a nice studio/1br spot that is safe, not too isolated, and where I can walk if I wanna to do stuff. I just don't want to lay out tons of loot.

My last child support payment is at the end of this month, so I'll have a bit extra.. so I guess I could go as high at $650-700/month. I also have my eyes on a new VW GTI, so you know I have to have my priorities right, you dig?

Other than that..I am kinda cheap. LOL
I lived at Scarborough Lake for about a year when I moved to Indy in 1995. They were decent apartments then. I cannot attest to how they are now. IMO, the area around there leaves some to be desired, especially for a newly-single guy.

I haven't lived in an apartment for about 15 years, but the overwhelming sentiment in this forum seems to be that, when it comes to apartments in Indy, you get what you pay for. If you can find a nice Van Rooy apartment in or adjacent to downtown at a reasonable enough price, I'd do it. That's just my opinion. I understand the desire to be cheap, especially as child support payments can stress the budget. I have a teenage son from a previous marriage, so I can relate. But you have to consider your own happiness, and I suspect you'd more enjoy being able to walk to Mass Ave. and other downtown conveniences/attractions. I know I would.

I wish you luck in your search and in your move from the 'Nati. Hopefully your move is bringing another Reds fan to Indy. Take care.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
I've rented from Van Rooy twice. They were alright. I wouldn't recommend the St. James. For a Van Rooy property, the building has a fairly bad reputation.

For the downtown market, $650 for a one bedroom isn't too bad. We paid around $600 when we lived in the Apollo/Aurora on 11th. It was small but cute. Definitely enough space for one person. The building was old, so there are so drawbacks, but on the plus side we didn't really hear our neighbors, and it was nice to be able to walk everywhere.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 PM

A lady from Buckingham/Balmore told me that they have a 700sq foot studio available now for less than $600/month.

I'm not sure about all that... I need to go check that puppy out first. She said it's right across from her office on Meridian and 30th. Right by the Children's museum or something....? Does that sound like a good location?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
I've driven by the Buck/Bal many times. (The Childrens Museum is a little farther north.) Not the best area, and not really walkable to much. If you were a single girl, I would say probably not your best bet. You'd probably be fine, but that isn't the most wonderful part of the city.

For me it depends: If the unit were really nice, it might be worth it. If not . . . eh.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 14,155 times
$650 is VERY high for the neighborhood into which you would be moving. I really wouldn't recommend moving there unless you are accustomed to taking a lot of safety precautions. For the area, I'd really expect you to be paying $500 a month. In Greenwood you could get a 2 bedroom townhouse with washer and dryer provided for that much. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis