Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 AM

24 posts, read 119,528 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can anyone share the experience? It's our first time to buy a home.
I heard that builder usually doesn't want to reduce their price, but they can give you free upgrades. What should I ask for? How about a well finished basement...

Can I ask them to reduce the price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,234,175 times
A lot depends upon what type of builder you are speaking about? Is this a larger builder such as Pulte or Centex or a smaller (one-10 homes a year type) builder? Depending upon the size of the home a nicely finished basement can be pretty expensive, and it seems to me pretty unlikely any builder would go for that. Large builders are generally more likely to throw in things like appliances or upgraded carpet or a free basement. (or at least they tell you it's free) They might tell you the carpet/flooring upgrade is worth for example $3000.00 The reality is the upgrade only costs them a small fraction of that amount. Don't be swayed but what they tell you the upgrade is worth. Use common sense and shop around a bit at home stores to determine the real cost of the upgrade. My husband and I have built 3 homes--one with Pulte years ago, one semi-custom, and one custom home. I found that the large builders charge outrageous amounts for upgrades such as electric for ceiling fans or extra phone outlets. I recently heard of a $150 charge for an extra phone outlet. I know my last two builders charged far less than $30 for that. It's one of the ways large builders make money.

I would suggest going in, know what you want in the house, and what you want to pay, then go for it. The worst that can happen is they say no!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,592,847 times
Just a suggestion, look and see what's already available. There are many homes on the resale market that you may be able to get cheaper than buying new, and in some cases, those houses are better built. We built our first home in Chicago and although we loved the house, we felt like the builder was in the driver's seat the entire time. Plus, even though everything was nice shiney new, we still ended up putting a lot of our own money in for personal touches .. paint, landscaping (costs an arm and a leg and builders won't do it in most cases) ... decks. Use what's available on the market and see if a builder can match it.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,122,222 times
several large builders in the Indy area are desperate to unload their homes. Be a smart Buyer in this market and use all the leverage you can. Remember, you have the money and they want it. Make them stand up on their hind legs drooling out of both ends of their mouths and bark for it. Then tell them to 'roll over'. Be in control of the deal and don't give in.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 08-03-2007 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 75,943 times
Default Be careful

Be careful about purchasing a home and getting a BIG discount. That will cause you problems in the future. It may seem like a great DEAL now, but when someone comes in next week and gets an even better deal, you are screwed. Your equity just went flying out the window. Choose a builder who has reasonably priced options and ones that require little upgrades, not the ones where everything in the home has to be upgraded. Steer clear of Centex, we sold a home and took a $25,000 hit because they had done such deep discounting after we purchased ours. Our sales person assured us that we were getting the best deal! HA!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,592,847 times
We bought a resale Centex home 4 years ago in Fishers and MADE money when we sold it this spring ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis