U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
The only one I'm really excited about would be ESPN Zone. It's a small chain that would actually be perfect for Indianapolis. The other restaurants are okay, but do we really need another Cheesecake Factory? Same goes for Macy's, I don't see why there really needs to be another Macy's in Indianapolis. I was really hoping that somehow, Circle Centre could get a store like Bloomingdale's that could be a regional draw and really show everyone that Indianapolis isn't just some small town in the middle of a cornfield. At any rate, it is better than a target and hopefully the space will be filled.
I think Bloomingdale's would have been very nice as well...but if Bloomingdale's comes to Indy, it is more likely to locate on the north side.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,422,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I think Bloomingdale's would have been very nice as well...but if Bloomingdale's comes to Indy, it is more likely to locate on the north side.
I agree, I just think if they did it downtown, it could make a HUGE statement for the viability of downtown Indianapolis.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 AM

1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I agree, I just think if they did it downtown, it could make a HUGE statement for the viability of downtown Indianapolis.
True. I know that I have said this before jokingly, but I now really do think that Carmel is trying to be in DIRECT competition with Indianapolis as far as attracting the upper-middle class DINKs (Dual Income No Kids). The folks that are more likely to live in lavish condominums or townhomes and shop at stores like Bloomingdale's, etc. you know? And have extra cash to spend on luxuries they otherwise may not have with young kids such as frequent fine dining, theaters, lounges, etc. With the Carmel City Center and those other luxurious urban-style housing being built, many residents who would otherwise live downtown are moving north where not only most of the jobs are, but the LIFESTYLE as well. Aside from Eli Lilly, it seems like most people with high incomes work on the north side. Yes there are ppl that do live downtown and are high income, but I believe many travel up to the northern suburban area to further satisfy their lifestyle.

I do believe in the "If you build it, they will come" philosophy, but in this case [[at least with Bloomingdale's]], I'm not sure downtown could support it. The typical demographics for the store are too narrow on the higher end side of the economic spectrum. This is why I feel Macy's would be a perfect fit.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
True. I know that I have said this before jokingly, but I now really do think that Carmel is trying to be in DIRECT competition with Indianapolis as far as attracting the upper-middle class DINKs (Dual Income No Kids). The folks that are more likely to live in lavish condominums or townhomes and shop at stores like Bloomingdale's, etc. you know? And have extra cash to spend on luxuries they otherwise may not have with young kids such as frequent fine dining, theaters, lounges, etc. With the Carmel City Center and those other luxurious urban-style housing being built, many residents who would otherwise live downtown are moving north where not only most of the jobs are, but the LIFESTYLE as well. Aside from Eli Lilly, it seems like most people with high incomes work on the north side. Yes there are ppl that do live downtown and are high income, but I believe many travel up to the northern suburban area to further satisfy their lifestyle.
I actually agree. Have you seen this article from the Indy Star? In sleepy downtown Carmel, it's better late than ever | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
I actually think that overall, the competition is good for the Metro area though. If Carmel is trying hard to attract these people, then it just mean Indianapolis will have to try harder. This could force Indy to start raising the bar with their downtown projects and cause more investment in the other urban neighborhoods. And who knows, maybe someday Carmel will be a lot more like Evanston, IL.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM

2,041 posts, read 3,425,507 times
Carmel, which is 90% sprawling sub-divisions and shopping centers with no public transit, will never be anything like Evanston.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM

1,864 posts, read 2,525,855 times
Quite true prairiestate! And I'm going to guess that Evanston does not have a 1.3 billion dollar debt like the City of Carmel. In a few years we will be looking at moving as our children move out and onward. We won't even consider Carmel because of the debt the city has. I can only imagine the taxes or the lack of*services if the taxes can't cover the debt. What a mess!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,649,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Quite true prairiestate! And I'm going to guess that Evanston does not have a 1.3 billion dollar debt like the City of Carmel. In a few years we will be looking at moving as our children move out and onward. We won't even consider Carmel because of the debt the city has. I can only imagine the taxes or the lack of*services if the taxes can't cover the debt. What a mess!
Funny sarcasm. Cost of living in Chicago is 30% more than Indy so i caught it

As my favorite Phrase goes from Honest Abe The Babe Lincoln
You can Fool Everyone once. You can fool some people all the time but you can not fool everyone all the time.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:28 PM

852 posts, read 788,073 times
Quote:
The division plans that Simon currently has sound EXCELLENT! Nothing is set in stone yet, but the plans calls for about 5 restaurants on the first floor of the building and a new anchor to take up the top two floors.

As far as restaurants, Cheesecake Factory and ESPN Zone have expressed interested as well as a place called Hofbräuhaus, a German brewery.

As far as an anchor, Macy's has expressed interest in the space.
I could careless about what retail store moves in there. I refuse to pay anything over $30 for a pair of jeans, $25ish for a hoodie. Some of the prices I have seen at some of these stores....I just shake my head. $50 for a pair of jeans, $60 for a Nautica shirt...no wonder people think there is a huge group of rich people we can tax!!

I would be more happy with an affordable store, like Kohls (I find their clothing more reasonably priced, but even they have some ridiculous prices). JCPenny I haven't been to in years, so I don't know what their prices are like. Even a Target would have been cool...something that everyone can use, not just the lawyers, bankers, and politicians who hang out downtown.

As far as the restaurants, I still can't see how your average person affords Cheesecake Factory. I've been twice, both due to a gift of a $25 or so gift card, and it still cost me like $15 or so...yikes! I'm surprised that they have four restaurants lined up. I know of at least two others going in as well downtown. Hopefully they can last in this economy.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM

2,041 posts, read 3,425,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Well, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm because I know Carmel has spent quite a bit on a performing arts center, roundabouts, etc. I suppose in hindsight 1.3 billion is quite a bit for a town to accumulate in debt.

I wasn't criticizing Carmel though. I do like the town and they are definitely on the right track with the downtown arts district. It will more then likely become one of the top destinations for young professionals in metro Indy. However, it still won't be anything like Evanston. The history, demographics, density and public transit options (the lack of) are just completely different.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Carmel, which is 90% sprawling sub-divisions and shopping centers with no public transit, will never be anything like Evanston.
Well I wasn't really arguing that Carmel could be like Evanston overall, but it's not out of this world to see that the area between the Palladium (Downtown Carmel) and the Arts and Design District could develop like downtown Evanston. Carmel's neighborhoods will never have the urban feel that Evanston's do, but Carmel's downtown definitely has potential to develop in a similar way. Also, who's to say that Carmel won't have a transit line in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis