Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 03:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheath View Post
NWI,

Not to regenerate an older thread but rumor has it that Macy's is the front runner for the old Nordstrom space. A spokesman for Simon stated that they've been showing the space to an "unnamed department store" but won't make an announcement until a deal is finalized and a lease is signed. Supposedly, two or three restaurants will take over the first floor with the new department store taking the top two floors.

Anyone else heard any new rumors?
ugghhh, not good. they like subsidies to stay put in downtown cores ala cincy and pbg. I would much prefer something people around here aren't really used to like a Dillards or something to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
No.

But it does sound plausible. Despite the fact that we thought there would never again be a new department store in this country, Macy's has plans to open about 6 stores over the next couple of years. So they are in an expansion mode. Also, taking just two floors would fit current economic reality, reducing operating costs and necessary sales for a profitable store.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 91,018 times
Macy's also has a history of doing well in downtown markets in large cities. From what I've seen, Dillard's usually tends to cater to your more suburban shoppers. It'd be nice; although wishful thinking, if Bloomingdales came to town. Stranger things have happened though.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheath View Post
Macy's also has a history of doing well in downtown markets in large cities. From what I've seen, Dillard's usually tends to cater to your more suburban shoppers. It'd be nice; although wishful thinking, if Bloomingdales came to town. Stranger things have happened though.
If macys was doing so well in dt markets the wouldnt be begging for subsidies

Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
ugghhh, not good. they like subsidies to stay put in downtown cores ala cincy and pbg. I would much prefer something people around here aren't really used to like a Dillards or something to that effect.
Dillard's already said they weren't interested in a downtown Indy location back when speculation about the Nordstrom's space began. If anything they would be looking for a location in the suburbs. I think Keystone at the Crossing would be perfect for Dillard's.

How about dividing the space between some upscale sporting goods stores like Niketown and North Face? These stores do very well in Chicago, the three story Nike store is different than anything currently in Indy. With Indy's emphasis on sports and the number of visitors for sporting events I think this might work.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 PM

218 posts, read 462,465 times
I've heard these rumors too.

While it would be nice to get something unfamiliar to the Indy market, like a Lord and Taylor or Bloomingdales, I just don't think the Indy people are spendy enough for that (especially Bloomingdales). By and large, Hoosiers don't go for fancy clothes, which is probably why the city couldn't support two Nordstroms and even the Saks is far less high-end than in other cities. Nothing against people from Indy; that's just not how they choose to spend their money. Look at the two malls that opened in HamCo in the past decade; neither one is really upscale. That said, the Fashion Mall is still the premiere mall for the region, and for it to get a Dillards would be a step down. I like Dillards, but it is much more middle-of-the-road than Nordstrom or Saks.

So...Macy's is nothing special and nothing new. But it seems to be a well-run company, while Lord and Taylor has opened & closed in downtowns in the past. I don't quite see how Macy would need a subsidy, considering that the anchors in most department stores already go rent-free. But if they did need a subsidy, couldn't we push Simon to take the burden, rather than the City? Surely they want an occupant to Circle Centre Mall as much as the rest of the city; it can't be good PR for them when the mall just two blocks from their headquarters has a gaping vacancy for over a year.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 PM

[quote=msamhunter;25250077]If macys was doing so well in dt markets the wouldnt be begging for subsidies[/

I said they've got a HISTORY of doing well in downtown markets. I haven't looked at their balance sheets or researched their need for subsidies. Of all of the potential tenants for the vacant space, they just seem to be one of the better fits.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 PM

Bert,

Space permitting, I could see Dillard's fitting in nicely in Castleton or Greenwood Park Mall.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
I would never shop at Macy's. Macy's along with Walmart are working on putting spy tracking chips in clothing. I don't trust the technology and I don't trust them. There was an out cry when Benetton tried putting the chips in women's under wear. Where's the privacy?? There comes a point where the line must be drawn. I say thumbs down.

source:

Macy's pushing to get RFID technology into stores - BusinessWeek

Macy's Using Spychips?

Boycott Benetton - No RFID tracking chips in clothing!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I would never shop at Macy's. Macy's along with Walmart are working on putting spy tracking chips in clothing. I don't trust the technology and I don't trust them. There was an out cry when Benetton tried putting the chips in women's under wear. Where's the privacy?? There comes a point where the line must be drawn. I say thumbs down.

source:

Macy's pushing to get RFID technology into stores - BusinessWeek

Macy's Using Spychips?

Boycott Benetton - No RFID tracking chips in clothing!
Apparently you have no idea what RFID is. It requires a reader in close proximity to read data from the chips. It's used for inventory control. A chip can be attached at the point of manufacturer, and a specific garment can be tracked from that point until it's sold. If you pay with cash Macy's has no idea who you are, which is meaningless anyway, because they can't read the chips when they are away from the readers. You're going to need avoid shopping entirely, because all retailers will be using them eventually. At some point an apple from the supermarket might have a tiny chip under the sticker to enable it to be tracked from the farm to the store. However, the products still need to be scanned. RFID won't work from more than a few hundred feet away, at the most, with extra batteries in the chip. An un-powered chip can't be read from more then a 20 feet or so. What they can track is your spending habits, which retailers already do with their reward cards and credit cards, which I'm sure you don't have. Also, stay away from your library. They may be using RFID to automate the circulation process. And for that matter, what are you doing on the internet if you're concerned about privacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis