Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 41,285 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Indianapolis in December. I'm really interested in the Broad Ripple area. I'm currently living in Chicago and I think this area best resembles a Chicago neighborhood. Can anyone tell me about this area or any other area in Indy that's a good place to live? BTW, I have no kids and it's just me and hubby.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:59 PM

50 posts, read 68,600 times
if your single and young this is the best area. It is a very vibrant area just like a young singles neighborhood in Chicago without all the crime Cost of living is also much lower and all in all in think youll enjoy this area. its also close to Downtown for other fun activities

Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Is there any other neighborhoods similar to Chicago's neighborhoods?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM

not sure cause Chicago's neighborhoods depend too. What is the type of neighborhood in Chicago you are wanting to compare?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,242,135 times
Nothing in Indy has the density of Chicago's bustling northside neighborhoods, but several areas closer to the city are urban and gentrifying. You might like Chatham Arch/Mass Avenue (pretty upscale these days), or Fletcher Place and Fountain Square (definitely still on the up-and-coming). Both of these have an urban feel. Close to Broad Ripple are Meridian Kessler and Butler Tarkington, two fairly walkable neighborhoods that are probably closer to Evanston that anything in the Chicago limits. Finally, Broad Ripple is a pretty large district, and the area to its south (SoBro they are calling it now) is very nice as well. Fall Creek Place is a nice, redeveloping area smack in the middle between downtown and Broad Ripple--a good neighborhood, but still very close to some rough ones and it has a ways to go before it matures.

If you have specific Chicago neighborhoods in mind, as Jimmy mentioned, that might better help to cue you in.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM

14 posts, read 43,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Nothing in Indy has the density of Chicago's bustling northside neighborhoods, but several areas closer to the city are urban and gentrifying. You might like Chatham Arch/Mass Avenue (pretty upscale these days), or Fletcher Place and Fountain Square (definitely still on the up-and-coming). Both of these have an urban feel. Close to Broad Ripple are Meridian Kessler and Butler Tarkington, two fairly walkable neighborhoods that are probably closer to Evanston that anything in the Chicago limits. Finally, Broad Ripple is a pretty large district, and the area to its south (SoBro they are calling it now) is very nice as well. Fall Creek Place is a nice, redeveloping area smack in the middle between downtown and Broad Ripple--a good neighborhood, but still very close to some rough ones and it has a ways to go before it matures.

If you have specific Chicago neighborhoods in mind, as Jimmy mentioned, that might better help to cue you in.

I moved to Broad Ripple from Chicago not too long ago and couldn't agree more with the poster above. I think that Mass Ave would have been a better option for me. That is where I tend to gravitate, having more of a "city" vibe than Broad Ripple. I think your age as well as your definition of "Chicago" will help us better understand. For me, I'm in my early 30's and think of West Town/Ukie Village/Wicker Park as Chicago.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stance Dance View Post
I moved to Broad Ripple from Chicago not too long ago and couldn't agree more with the poster above. I think that Mass Ave would have been a better option for me. That is where I tend to gravitate, having more of a "city" vibe than Broad Ripple. I think your age as well as your definition of "Chicago" will help us better understand. For me, I'm in my early 30's and think of West Town/Ukie Village/Wicker Park as Chicago.
Man how many people are leaving Chicago for Indy lol.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy from nowhere. View Post
Man how many people are leaving Chicago for Indy lol.
The more interesting statistic would be how many of those people has Indy retained?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM

I'm in my late 30's and have always lived in Hyde Park up until 2 years ago. I moved to Oak Lawn and love it here but I miss having a grocery store right behind my house. I also miss the mixture of food and and diversity.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM

I have been a Hyde Park resident several times during my life and love that area! Today, I am living in Broad Ripple in my early 30's. That said, BR doesn't compare to HP. I can't comment on Oak Lawn because I don't have too much experience except for maybe passing by.

The one thing you will get is a yard, trees, close proximity to grocery stores (possibly not walkable though depending on where you rent/buy) and really good food compared to other parts of Indy (but ok food compared to Hyde Park). The Monan trail is nice but doesn't compare to the Chicago lakefront. The night life is very young so you will likely want to leave the neighborhood for most (not all but most) social events. There is a dog park which Hyde Park doesn't have so if you have a dog that is a point for BR. The variety is not here like you find most places in Chicago including the South Side but there are several young people (college students, grad students) mixed in with families and long time residents. That in itself is the similarity to Hyde Park. Otherwise, I am sticking with a downtown neighborhood choice for you (downtown neighborhood in Indy compares to an off shoot neighborhood in Chicago).

Another thing to note when moving to Indy is where your social life will be in comparison to where you live. BR is closer to the north side (which is hugely populated by 30 somethings) so if your friends are there then traveling downtown may become an issue. Again, not always but that is what I have found. The majority of my friends will attempt to come towards my home in BR but when asked to go downtown it's like planning a vacation.

Hope this helps. Jeeze, I miss the point!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis