U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,650 times

Advertisements

I posted this under the Indiana Thread and think it would be more suited in the Indianapolis thread..sorry for the repost, just looking for extra advice!

I recently accepted a job in Crawfordsville, IN and I will be relocating there in the next few weeks. I have only been there for a couple of hours for an interview and know nothing about Indiana... I am coming from South Carolina and I know the winters will be a BIG shock to me, but I am willing to give it a go!

A start - Who I am and what I'm looking for

I am a single 27 y/o guy with a great dane! I enjoy outdoor activities such as biking, kayaking, running, etc... So I would like to be close to some outdoor parks or have easy access to these activities if possible. I want to live in an area with a strong presence of young professionals (if there is a more specific area...) I don't necessarily want to be the young single guy amongst a bunch of families and I dont want to be in the center of a college - But I do want to meet people my age range and enjoy where I live. I want to find a place to buy but willing to rent for a couple of months if I can find a place that will let me bring my Dane!

Any help or advice would be great - I have only been able to look from the eye of the internet and I am having a hard time - When I get there I will be in a hotel for a week or so and have an agent to help but I want to get a head start on the process! I have looked from Lafayette to brownsburg. Apparently a lot of the people from the plant live between Crawfordsville and Indy.. so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Also if there are any pointers about places to eat and meet people and things to do that would be great as well!

Thanks!
Nick
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM

7,855 posts, read 11,873,988 times
I have a couple of friends in Brownsburg, it is a nice little town. It does not feel like a suburb to me, more like a small town that happens to be close to a bigger city. I don't know what the "young professional" crowd is like in Brownsburg, my friends out there don't spend a lot of their fun time in Brownsburg and they are all married or dating someone.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,527 times
You are going to have a very difficult time finding anyone to accept your Great Dane, no rental apartment in Crawfordsville will allow that. You will have to find a house that the landlord will allow. Personally I love great danes but most landlords will only allow smaller size pets. As far as night life in Crawfordsville there is little to nothing available here. Your best bet for shopping or nightlife would be in one of the larger communities like, Lafayette, one of the surrounding cities of Indianapolis, Avon or Plainfield. We are currently looking to move out of this area as the job opportunities are very slim; however, you already have that figured out. Good luck with your endeavors.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM

431 posts, read 1,080,239 times
I have a few clients in Crawfordsville and not too long ago I spent 2-3 days a week there for work and parenting/homeschooling group. It's slowly coming around after a few years in the 'iffy' category {Target moved out, then the economy tanked, etc}

ITA with the PP who said none of the apartments allow large breeds. Or at least not the complex style and v. few of the multi unit types. There are a few pets-okay rental houses, house apartments and that sort in the latest online classifieds from the town paper. jo-www2.journalreview.com: Classifieds A couple are in Ladoga, which is 10 minutes from the southeast side of town in what qualifies locally as traffic, maybe 20 in icy/blinding snow type conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis