U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM

64 posts, read 107,095 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone! My name is Clark Body. I am a 44 yr. old, married, African-American, father of 3 daughters, 25, 20 and 17. I have been searching for 3 years now for a place to relocate to from AR. in 2012 and I like what I have seen online so far about Cincinnati, Indy and Columbus. I am originally from Chicago, but moved to the south to take care of my Mother before she past away 5 years ago and now I am ready to get back towards the north, but not as far as Chicago because my wife's family is here. I would like to get some information on a nice (nice meaning clean and safe) area to move to in Indy so here is where I need your help:

About Us:
  • Looking for 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhouse ($600-$700)
  • I have my bachelor's in psychology (currently in 1st year Masters). I work with youth 12-20 mostly at-risk (behavior problems, abuse, potential/dropouts, etc). looking for job in public school and/or counseling service agency (cummute 15-20 mins if possible. don't mind 30 mins max)
  • My wife is a certified independent living aid (provides in home care for the elderly) whose working on her bachelors in organizational therapy.
  • 25 yr old daughter is a stay at home mom for now, but will be looking for employment as a LPN. peferably in a hospital or Clinic.
  • 20 yr old and 17 year old both college students who will be sharing a 2 bdrm apartment (Same neighborhood. doesn't mind the daily cummute to school) and looking for jobs in child daycare and retail sales respectively.
QUESTIONS:
  • What's the economy( job market, cost of living, etc.) like in Indy?
  • Do you guys have insect problems in the summer (mosquitos, spiders, gnats, etc.)?
  • Do you guys have nice cold, snowy winters (I love those)?
  • My girls are out a lot without my wife and I. Is it safe (they have their own vehicles)?
  • I had Altel service for 15 yrs now I'm with Verizon. Love my service. Does it work well in Indyy?
  • Last question, what can you tell me about electric, cable and internet (I like bundling)?
Eventhough my daughters are all grown up, we are still a pretty close-nit bunch who loves spending time together, going to movies, bowling, shopping (Mall's are our favorite), zoo, park, etc.

Ok, guys I think that's it so fire away and ask any questions you like. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,398,343 times
QUESTIONS:

What's the economy( job market, cost of living, etc.) like in Indy?
Well the job market here is bad like the rest of the country, but seems to fair better than most other places. As far as cost of living, Indianapolis is about the cheapest major city you will find.

Do you guys have insect problems in the summer (mosquitos, spiders, gnats, etc.)?
Yes and no. If you live near a river or a wooded area the bugs are bad, but in general I don't think the insects are too awful.

Do you guys have nice cold, snowy winters (I love those)?
Our winters are a little less snowy than Chicago's, but probably not by much. We usually have a handful of major snowfalls each year.

My girls are out a lot without my wife and I. Is it safe (they have their own vehicles)?
Like every city you don't want to be in the wrong neighborhoods, but for the most part Indianapolis is safe. This is especially true downtown and in the suburbs.

I had Altel service for 15 yrs now I'm with Verizon. Love my service. Does it work well in Indyy?
Yes it does, we just got their 4G service too.

Last question, what can you tell me about electric, cable and internet (I like bundling)?
For cable TV it will either be Brighthouse or Comcast depending on where you live. If you can get AT&T U-Verse I would probably go with that since it seems to be better than the cable companies.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 AM

1,655 posts, read 2,795,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbody View Post
#1:What's the economy( job market, cost of living, etc.) like in Indy?

#2o you guys have insect problems in the summer (mosquitos, spiders, gnats, etc.)?

#3o you guys have nice cold, snowy winters (I love those)?

#4:My girls are out a lot without my wife and I. Is it safe (they have their own vehicles)?

#5: I had Altel service for 15 yrs now I'm with Verizon. Love my service. Does it work well in Indyy?

#6: Last question, what can you tell me about electric, cable and internet (I like bundling)?
#1: The job market around here is the same as everywhere. You either have a skill in demand or you don't. Please note that some of our K-12 school districts are cutting. Indiana allows for local referendums when it comes to additional taxation for personnel and school construction. Do a Google search for some recent referendums. Off the top of my head: Mt. Vernon and New Palestine (Southern Hancock), both in Hancock County, voted down their referendum. Both are closing a school and consolidating. Doubt they will be hiring in the future. Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers area) passed a referendum. Perry township in southern Marion County (Indy) passed a referendum. Franklin township in SE Marion County (due east of Perry township) voted down their referendum.

#2: There are insects. You may or may not need to call an exterminator. This depends on many factors. Mosquitoes are bad as soon as the sun starts to set.

#3: We have cold winters, snowy just depends. We usually get one or two decent snow storms, but given the flux of our temp and combined with sun and pavement, usually the roads are pretty clear in just a day or so. So you can have a foot or more of snow on the ground over a few days of snow, but roads could be pretty much clean within two days of traffic.

#4: It is as safe as anywhere. Indy has its issues. I see a lot more crime now spread out all over the metro area, where in the past, it was mostly confined to the inner city part. Note that many apartment complexes, even those outside of Indianapolis/Marion County, have started to take Section 8. Criminal activity is known to be higher when it comes to the welfare, lower income, and working poor groups. As the welfare class has spread over the last decade from the center city to the suburbs, crime has followed.

#5: AT&T phones suck here. I have had two different types of phones and the service is horrible. Co-workers and friends with Verizon always have great coverage. Once our contract is up, we are switching to Verizon.

#6: We have Comcast. They are good in terms of product, but price just varies. You have to argue with them to get some discounts every so often (they keep pushing up the price, etc.). AT&T U-verse is very good. Everyone I know loves their U-Verse, though it is only available in certain areas. I have their DSL, cheapest plan, and never had many issues. Not the fastest connection, but enough for most things on-line.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
#1: The job market around here is the same as everywhere. You either have a skill in demand or you don't. Please note that some of our K-12 school districts are cutting. Indiana allows for local referendums when it comes to additional taxation for personnel and school construction. Do a Google search for some recent referendums. Off the top of my head: Mt. Vernon and New Palestine (Southern Hancock), both in Hancock County, voted down their referendum. Both are closing a school and consolidating. Doubt they will be hiring in the future. Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers area) passed a referendum. Perry township in southern Marion County (Indy) passed a referendum. Franklin township in SE Marion County (due east of Perry township) voted down their referendum.

#2: There are insects. You may or may not need to call an exterminator. This depends on many factors. Mosquitoes are bad as soon as the sun starts to set.

#3: We have cold winters, snowy just depends. We usually get one or two decent snow storms, but given the flux of our temp and combined with sun and pavement, usually the roads are pretty clear in just a day or so. So you can have a foot or more of snow on the ground over a few days of snow, but roads could be pretty much clean within two days of traffic.

#4: It is as safe as anywhere. Indy has its issues. I see a lot more crime now spread out all over the metro area, where in the past, it was mostly confined to the inner city part. Note that many apartment complexes, even those outside of Indianapolis/Marion County, have started to take Section 8. Criminal activity is known to be higher when it comes to the welfare, lower income, and working poor groups. As the welfare class has spread over the last decade from the center city to the suburbs, crime has followed.

#5: AT&T phones suck here. I have had two different types of phones and the service is horrible. Co-workers and friends with Verizon always have great coverage. Once our contract is up, we are switching to Verizon.

#6: We have Comcast. They are good in terms of product, but price just varies. You have to argue with them to get some discounts every so often (they keep pushing up the price, etc.). AT&T U-verse is very good. Everyone I know loves their U-Verse, though it is only available in certain areas. I have their DSL, cheapest plan, and never had many issues. Not the fastest connection, but enough for most things on-line.
This is very useful information. Thanks so much.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
QUESTIONS:

What's the economy( job market, cost of living, etc.) like in Indy?
Well the job market here is bad like the rest of the country, but seems to fair better than most other places. As far as cost of living, Indianapolis is about the cheapest major city you will find.

Do you guys have insect problems in the summer (mosquitos, spiders, gnats, etc.)?
Yes and no. If you live near a river or a wooded area the bugs are bad, but in general I don't think the insects are too awful.

Do you guys have nice cold, snowy winters (I love those)?
Our winters are a little less snowy than Chicago's, but probably not by much. We usually have a handful of major snowfalls each year.

My girls are out a lot without my wife and I. Is it safe (they have their own vehicles)?
Like every city you don't want to be in the wrong neighborhoods, but for the most part Indianapolis is safe. This is especially true downtown and in the suburbs.

I had Altel service for 15 yrs now I'm with Verizon. Love my service. Does it work well in Indyy?
Yes it does, we just got their 4G service too.

Last question, what can you tell me about electric, cable and internet (I like bundling)?
For cable TV it will either be Brighthouse or Comcast depending on where you live. If you can get AT&T U-Verse I would probably go with that since it seems to be better than the cable companies.
This is very helpful. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,260,225 times
You've received good answers, but to further delve into three of them:

1-Bugs (in particular mosquitoes): not nearly as bad as you would see in lakeland areas of the MW like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota in general. Where you live will determine things better than anything (wooded areas and those with ill-maintained brackish retention ponds are the worst).

2-Snow. There is no guarantee of a major snowfall in Indy in a given year. Typically, you get one of two accumulations of 6 inches + some smaller stuff. You get to enjoy the snow for a week or two, but it melts off, which is nice (coming from someone who grew up there, but lives in Chicago now). It doesn't linger forever, turning to blackish sludge on the streets, and you're not stuck with snow banks in April. You get to enjoy all 4 seasons without being bogged down with winter like you do in the upper MW.

3-Economy/jobs: Like most of the country, Indiana is in a recession, which leads to public service cuts, job cuts, etc. Two pieces of good news: fiscally, Indiana is in very good shape compared to at least 80% of the states out there, so sudden cuts in the public service sector are less likely. Also: Indianapolis is one of the "stars" of the MW. Minneapolis is the clear high growth winner, but Indy in terms of long term growth and job prospects is in the same league as Kansas City, and Columbus OH. It is (and is expected to continue to) outperform other major urban areas in the region such as Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc.

Given your criteria, it should be toward the top of the list of places in the Midwest (with KC, Columbus, and Mpls-St Paul), and if you want snow + good COL + good future job prospects, the only other areas I can think of outside of the MW to include in this group among major cities would be Denver, Pittsburgh, and Salt Lake City. Omaha and Grand Rapids if you want to go a bit smaller, maybe.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
You've received good answers, but to further delve into three of them:

1-Bugs (in particular mosquitoes): not nearly as bad as you would see in lakeland areas of the MW like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota in general. Where you live will determine things better than anything (wooded areas and those with ill-maintained brackish retention ponds are the worst).

2-Snow. There is no guarantee of a major snowfall in Indy in a given year. Typically, you get one of two accumulations of 6 inches + some smaller stuff. You get to enjoy the snow for a week or two, but it melts off, which is nice (coming from someone who grew up there, but lives in Chicago now). It doesn't linger forever, turning to blackish sludge on the streets, and you're not stuck with snow banks in April. You get to enjoy all 4 seasons without being bogged down with winter like you do in the upper MW.

3-Economy/jobs: Like most of the country, Indiana is in a recession, which leads to public service cuts, job cuts, etc. Two pieces of good news: fiscally, Indiana is in very good shape compared to at least 80% of the states out there, so sudden cuts in the public service sector are less likely. Also: Indianapolis is one of the "stars" of the MW. Minneapolis is the clear high growth winner, but Indy in terms of long term growth and job prospects is in the same league as Kansas City, and Columbus OH. It is (and is expected to continue to) outperform other major urban areas in the region such as Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc.

Given your criteria, it should be toward the top of the list of places in the Midwest (with KC, Columbus, and Mpls-St Paul), and if you want snow + good COL + good future job prospects, the only other areas I can think of outside of the MW to include in this group among major cities would be Denver, Pittsburgh, and Salt Lake City. Omaha and Grand Rapids if you want to go a bit smaller, maybe.
Thanks, Chicago76. The information has been very helpful as well as yours. You covered some very use basis. I remember the the black sludge on the side of the streets and the banks in April. Thanks, again.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 41,311 times
As an Indiana native who has since lived in many different cities, I can tell you that all of the conditions, as far as the weather, economy, insects, and living conditions, Indianapolis is temped, meaning that it has nothing too severe. The weather is not as severe as other places, the economy is general, the insects are manageable, and the living conditions are as follows: the crime rates vary depending on the location, but Indianapolis is less than other "large" cities. The cost of living is one of the cheapest of the large cities. The schools are reliable and have good academic test scores, when compared to other large cities. The only thing I have ever heard that is negative about Indianapolis is that it does not offer the "big city" lifestyle of the places like New York and San Francisco.

Wherever you end up moving to, you will get out of it what you put into it.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkech View Post
As an Indiana native who has since lived in many different cities, I can tell you that all of the conditions, as far as the weather, economy, insects, and living conditions, Indianapolis is temped, meaning that it has nothing too severe. The weather is not as severe as other places, the economy is general, the insects are manageable, and the living conditions are as follows: the crime rates vary depending on the location, but Indianapolis is less than other "large" cities. The cost of living is one of the cheapest of the large cities. The schools are reliable and have good academic test scores, when compared to other large cities. The only thing I have ever heard that is negative about Indianapolis is that it does not offer the "big city" lifestyle of the places like New York and San Francisco.

Wherever you end up moving to, you will get out of it what you put into it.
Thanks, I'm a firm believer in that.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 41,311 times
I apply that theory to every thing in life. You only get out of it what you put into it. How else to you expect to succeed? Good things do not just happen for the heck of it. You have to work at good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis