Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,830 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Lots of great info here. We are thinking of making an offer on a home in the Normandy Farms subdivision in Pike Township. We'd like to hear your thoughts regarding:
(i) the stability of the subdivision (is it "up and coming" or falling into disrepair),
(ii) average age of residents (couples with young children or retired folks),
(iii) noise level (parties every weekend?), and
(iv) any other helpful info.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:23 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
From what I know about Normandy Farms--

i) It's definitely not up and coming--most of the homes look like they're from the 1970s or late 1960s. I'd say it's pretty stable. It's in an affluent area of Pike Township--most of Pike outside of the I-465 beltway is very well off. I'm sure the fearmongers here will tell you horror stories about the Pike Township Schools, which are neither the best or worst in the metro. They have an International Baccalaureate program, which is not something every run-of-the-mill district can claim. But the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity of the district, which no doubt drives some of the only so-so school test scores, scares some people away. Pike is often beautiful woods and rolling hills, but definitely not homogeneous. Lots of foreign-born elsewhere in the township, and some low income areas closert to Lafayette Square Mall, which feeds into the same school district as the largely white, affluent Traders Point area (where Normandy Farms is located). If proximity to downtown, diversity, and park amenities are important to you, I'd say you've got a good thing going in Normandy Farms. People with school-age children will probably be more apprehensive, but in that case I'd recommend talking to people who have enrolled their children in Pike Schools. Chances are they'll have more good to say about it than people who don't even live in the district.

ii) My guess is its on the older side. Many young families these days are settling for Brownsburg (middle and upper-middle class) or Zionsville (affluent). Lots more baby boomers and empty nesters at Normandy, though I'd guess you'll find some folks raising their kids there as well--probably the ones who are going to be a bit left on the spectrum politically, compared to the suburbs mentioned above.

iii) Don't know about this at all. The lots at Normandy Farms tend to be quite large--probably around half an acre or more. You'll know your neighbors, but they won't be in your business. The homes there are clearly custom built and have that 1970s flair for experimentation. I like the area--far enough away from the traffic of Castleton yet still close to those shopping amenities.

iv) Not more that I can think of. The big lots means its not really a walkable area. Parts of it are almost rural. But it's upscale rural around there--definitely not hickville, but also probably not as much of a neighborhood feel that you might get elsewhere. Though I suspect Normandy Farms has a very active neighborhood association, so I could be wrong.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 17,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphillips View Post
Hi folks. Lots of great info here. We are thinking of making an offer on a home in the Normandy Farms subdivision in Pike Township. We'd like to hear your thoughts regarding:
(i) the stability of the subdivision (is it "up and coming" or falling into disrepair),
(ii) average age of residents (couples with young children or retired folks),
(iii) noise level (parties every weekend?), and
(iv) any other helpful info.

Thanks in advance!
When first built Normandy Farms was the cream of Pike. That's back when the schools were decent, though they were never great --- but along with the rest of the nice areas of pike prices have stagnated or dropped there for 20 years. You should ask yourself if that's the kind of market you want to be buying into. Pike really has fully and richly earned its current rep but I suggest you pay the schools a personal visit to appreciate all of it.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM

38 posts, read 91,018 times
I think Colts RB Joseph Addai has a home in Normandy. I've driven through it and it seemes like a pretty nice neighborhood. You get a mix of families with children and empty nesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: