U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
 
27 posts, read 23,620 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The cost of living (COL) in Carmel compared to the most comparable Chicago suburbs (Naperville and Plainfield) is roughly the same, if not, lower (mostly in terms of comparable housing costs). Coming from a NW suburb, the COL will drop a lot for you, so you should not have much to worry about

Also, for whatever it's worth, the Jewish families that I know in the Indianapolis area live in the Meridian-Kessler area, Broad Ripple in the city and in the suburbs of Carmel, Zionsville, and Brownsburg.
Thanks! That helps a ton. Where we live is pretty expensive and to move closer to the city is even more expensive but Im find houses in Carmel for so much less than we pay right now and so much nicer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM
 
7,433 posts, read 4,826,207 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaxpro View Post
March was up .9 y/oy. You are extrapolating in ways which is incorrect. I disagree with your conclusion. Everyone else can make their own decision. Both are great cities.
And now Indy is losing jobs. I do agree that both are nice cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
 
27 posts, read 23,620 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Is this why Indiana has net job loss ytd (-0.3%)? And Illinois has positive job growth above the national average (1.1%)?

It's even worse for Indy vs. Chicago. Negative job growth in Indy -1.0% vs. Chicago with a positive 0.6%.
I guess it just depends on the type of work you do. My husband cannot find a good paying job in his field, let alone work in that field at all....and within 2 weeks we have seen at least 10 postings for his job field in Indy all paying BETTER Than in Chicago! Plus its hard to job search in Chicago...if you live in the far NW suburbs like us, if you find work in the South burbs, you are lookin at AT LEAST an hour- hour and a half drive ONE WAY! Its so hard to do that here when you have a family.

So you can look at the numbers all you want...but living here is very hard. I grew up here and unless you can find a great job making at least $45k a year, you suffer here. That just life.

And yes...property taxes make a huge difference as well as housing prices...which ARE coming down, but are STILL higher than INdy. My parents pay $10k a yr in prop taxes....we only pay $3500 a year but our house is a dump and we paid $180k for it only 3 yrs ago. It would be worth about $160k but for that $$$ in Indy we could have a nice house. Its just hard out here. We didn't get hit as hard by the slump in the economy as, lets say AZ (we lived there up until '08) but its getting worse over time. We are NOT climbing up...I don't care what the numbers say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
 
7,433 posts, read 4,826,207 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker82 View Post
I guess it just depends on the type of work you do. My husband cannot find a good paying job in his field, let alone work in that field at all....and within 2 weeks we have seen at least 10 postings for his job field in Indy all paying BETTER Than in Chicago! Plus its hard to job search in Chicago...if you live in the far NW suburbs like us, if you find work in the South burbs, you are lookin at AT LEAST an hour- hour and a half drive ONE WAY! Its so hard to do that here when you have a family.

So you can look at the numbers all you want...but living here is very hard. I grew up here and unless you can find a great job making at least $45k a year, you suffer here. That just life.

And yes...property taxes make a huge difference as well as housing prices...which ARE coming down, but are STILL higher than INdy. My parents pay $10k a yr in prop taxes....we only pay $3500 a year but our house is a dump and we paid $180k for it only 3 yrs ago. It would be worth about $160k but for that $$$ in Indy we could have a nice house. Its just hard out here. We didn't get hit as hard by the slump in the economy as, lets say AZ (we lived there up until '08) but its getting worse over time. We are NOT climbing up...I don't care what the numbers say.
Sorry to hear of your struggles, which I'm sure are true and not fun.

Anecdotes don't make the truth though. Our family's income has increased 35% in 3 years. We live in the City, take public transport to work and have three kids. We're doing great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
 
27 posts, read 23,620 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sorry to hear of your struggles, which I'm sure are true and not fun.

Anecdotes don't make the truth though. Our family's income has increased 35% in 3 years. We live in the City, take public transport to work and have three kids. We're doing great.

And statistics don't tell the whole story. That is what I am saying. Just because you can show job growth on a chart does not mean all jobs are growing. And we don't live in the city. We live in the suburbs where there is no public transport. That also makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
 
2,722 posts, read 1,875,473 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sorry to hear of your struggles, which I'm sure are true and not fun.

Anecdotes don't make the truth though. Our family's income has increased 35% in 3 years. We live in the City, take public transport to work and have three kids. We're doing great.
The fact remains today, Indianapolis has the better economy while chicago has more opportunity. It is good that your salary has increased esp. living in the city with all of the taxes you have to pay just to live there. Indiana property tax is capped at 1% (we will probably end up regretting that vote later). 1% property tax along with exemptions like the homestead and homestead supplemental, in Indiana, you can literally cut your property taxes in half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM
 
7,433 posts, read 4,826,207 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
The fact remains today, Indianapolis has the better economy while chicago has more opportunity. It is good that your salary has increased esp. living in the city with all of the taxes you have to pay just to live there. Indiana property tax is capped at 1% (we will probably end up regretting that vote later). 1% property tax along with exemptions like the homestead and homestead supplemental, in Indiana, you can literally cut your property taxes in half.
I don't get it, Indy has lost 1% of it's jobs year over year and it's doing better? Bizzarro world here.

Property taxes in the City are a lot less the the burbs. Another reason to skip the burbs! We pay about 1.4% of value.

Look at CA for property tax caps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
 
7,433 posts, read 4,826,207 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker82 View Post
And statistics don't tell the whole story. That is what I am saying. Just because you can show job growth on a chart does not mean all jobs are growing. And we don't live in the city. We live in the suburbs where there is no public transport. That also makes a big difference.
Yes they do. Anecdotes don't.

Move to the city. Public transit is great and cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
 
27 posts, read 23,620 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I don't get it, Indy has lost 1% of it's jobs year over year and it's doing better? Bizzarro world here.

Property taxes in the City are a lot less the the burbs. Another reason to skip the burbs! We pay about 1.4% of value.

Look at CA for property tax caps.
As far as I know, Indiana didn't have a spike in housing costs. So their economy in total didn't fall flat like Chicago did.

And I love the City of Chicago...don't get me wrong. But no amount of property tax decrease would get me to subject my children to CPS. And since we wouldn't make enough to pay for private school, it wouldnt even be an option for us. As well as my husband having his own side business that requires us to have a large garage, (meaning we have to have a house) there is no way that you can convince me we would pay less for a house in Chicago than we do in Cary and pay less in prop taxes in Cook than we do in McHenry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
 
27 posts, read 23,620 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes they do. Anecdotes don't.

Move to the city. Public transit is great and cheap.
You are right. Public transit is cheap....and great if you don't get robbed on it. I'd take the ability to keep my doors unlocked to Chicago crime anyday.

And btw, this is not a Chicago bashing thread...this is about me trying to find a good place to live in Indy if I so choose to move there. And when the economy gets back to normal in Il, I WILL move back here because I love Chicago and I love the NW suburbs. This is my home and I love it. But you can't dispute the facts. Good for you that you are doing well here but almost everyone in my family who has lived here for YEARS are ALL strugging because of the economy...that doesn't make Chicago bad...its just makes it suck for right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top