Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 PM

27 posts, read 50,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Yes the north side is the more affluent side but each side offers pretty much the same thing. If you do not want to live on the north side, you might try west into hendricks county. If you are wanting to stay in Marion, Franklin Township is good and you would definitely have space to grow your young family. I'm not jewish so that part, I cannot help you with. You do not have to be in Hamilton county though in order to live a good life on the north side. You have Meridian-Kessler and Butler Tarkington, Meridian Hills and over in Pike Township far northwest quad.
What are the advantages to living outside or inside of Marion County? I find that I see a lot of info about people wanting to stay in or out of Marion county. Does it matter much??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Are you reform, conservative, or orthadox? All 3 have congregations in the hoover-meridan- springmill and 71st area. Near jcc. There is also a conservative congregation at 116th and towne in carmel. You can get to any of these from the areas i mentioned in about 15 mins or less.
I am reform BUT I really like the Carmel congregations' focus on family. Thanks for your information!!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker82 View Post
What are the advantages to living outside or inside of Marion County? I find that I see a lot of info about people wanting to stay in or out of Marion county. Does it matter much??? Thanks!
For the north side, I would say it really doesn't matter all that much. Living South there's a big difference between living in Marion County and Johnson County. Odds are you are looking toward the north side. Hamilton county has its advantages, with what carmel has been doing over the past several years. It's really nice now and they've added a somewhat urban feel to a strictly suburban area. Areas in Marion county, Butler-Tarkington still adds I feel a better area as far as walking and access to places like IMA, Butler's campus so on and so forth. Meridian-Kessler is just north of it and the homes are a little bit pricier but you are closer to Holiday Park. If you wanted say Northwest, you have Zionsville which has a very nice a quaint downtown. You would love it.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker82 View Post
I am reform BUT I really like the Carmel congregations' focus on family. Thanks for your information!!!!
We are members of ihc( indianapolis hebrew cong) the reform temple. We like it there but knowing you are considering the carmel conservitive congregation i recomend living in carmel even more than ever. Its on 116th which is not a main road like ihc is. Ihc is on meridian and getting there from almost anywhere is easy. 116th is one lane each way. Its farther from 465 too. Plus all the families you meet will live in carmel or zionsville. We live in carmel and like that we can get everywhere in under 30 mins. They do hebrew training different here. They co-op it at the bje on the jcc campus. All reform and conservative get hebrew training there as far as i know.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Stay away from east side in the city. West and north are closest to jewish community and for most part the nicer areas to live. South is fine too but farther drive. If you plan to go to services alot living 15 minutes away is very nice. We are not that active but find ourselves at ihc or bje at least 2 times a week during school year.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
We are members of ihc( indianapolis hebrew cong) the reform temple. We like it there but knowing you are considering the carmel conservitive congregation i recomend living in carmel even more than ever. Its on 116th which is not a main road like ihc is. Ihc is on meridian and getting there from almost anywhere is easy. 116th is one lane each way. Its farther from 465 too. Plus all the families you meet will live in carmel or zionsville. We live in carmel and like that we can get everywhere in under 30 mins. They do hebrew training different here. They co-op it at the bje on the jcc campus. All reform and conservative get hebrew training there as far as i know.
What do you think of the reform temple? Have you been to the conservitive temple in Carmel?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM

We have lived here a year and my wife is in process of conversion. She only feels confortable at reform so we have not visited the carmel conservitive yet. Even though my sons school is right around the corner from it. We like ihc. The people are nice but it has a huge membership. We are still getting used to that. When i grew up in metro detroit we belonged to a decent sized conservative congregation, but after moving to the flint area we got used to the small sized reform temple we belonged to and how you knew everyone.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
We have lived here a year and my wife is in process of conversion. She only feels confortable at reform so we have not visited the carmel conservitive yet. Even though my sons school is right around the corner from it. We like ihc. The people are nice but it has a huge membership. We are still getting used to that. When i grew up in metro detroit we belonged to a decent sized conservative congregation, but after moving to the flint area we got used to the small sized reform temple we belonged to and how you knew everyone.
Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Default Cost

The cost of living (COL) in Carmel compared to the most comparable Chicago suburbs (Naperville and Plainfield) is roughly the same, if not, lower (mostly in terms of comparable housing costs). Coming from a NW suburb, the COL will drop a lot for you, so you should not have much to worry about

Also, for whatever it's worth, the Jewish families that I know in the Indianapolis area live in the Meridian-Kessler area, Broad Ripple in the city and in the suburbs of Carmel, Zionsville, and Brownsburg.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
actually the cost of living in Chicago's suburbs are going up because of the Income Tax hike crap Illinois/Chicago pulled this january. Thats the one thing that will doom Illinois in the future is not the state but the city of Chicago and Crook county containing more than 65% of Illinois residents. Luckily here in Indiana we dont have that issue and we HATE political corruption and want nothing of the likes of Chicagos political machines in our state. even our largest metro area Indianapolis is pretty conservative especially compared to many other similar metros which helps attract jobs and gave Indy the #1 title for good jobs and cheap housing. There are reasons Indy got that title and hopefully it will set an example to the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis