U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM

27 posts, read 42,160 times

Advertisements

We want to move from Chicago to Indianapolis....We understand that the north side seems to be the best area based on posts that I have read. That being said, Im having a hard time finding areas to consider because it seems like everyone just says the north.
We need to rent a house, and we are a young family with one young son and hoping to add another child in the next few years. Me and my son are also Jewish and I would like to be with 30 mins of the "jewish area" which I know is in the north. I am not opposed to the north area, I just wondered if that is really our only option (I hear it is more expensive???), or if there are other areas that are good for a young family with children. Of course we would like an area with low crime and good schools but we won't have to worry about schools for a few years anyways.
I would just like to get some input on areas from people who live there or currently live there. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,165,740 times
Yes the north side is the more affluent side but each side offers pretty much the same thing. If you do not want to live on the north side, you might try west into hendricks county. If you are wanting to stay in Marion, Franklin Township is good and you would definitely have space to grow your young family. I'm not jewish so that part, I cannot help you with. You do not have to be in Hamilton county though in order to live a good life on the north side. You have Meridian-Kessler and Butler Tarkington, Meridian Hills and over in Pike Township far northwest quad.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,384,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker82 View Post
We want to move from Chicago to Indianapolis....We understand that the north side seems to be the best area based on posts that I have read. That being said, Im having a hard time finding areas to consider because it seems like everyone just says the north.
We need to rent a house, and we are a young family with one young son and hoping to add another child in the next few years. Me and my son are also Jewish and I would like to be with 30 mins of the "jewish area" which I know is in the north. I am not opposed to the north area, I just wondered if that is really our only option (I hear it is more expensive???), or if there are other areas that are good for a young family with children. Of course we would like an area with low crime and good schools but we won't have to worry about schools for a few years anyways.
I would just like to get some input on areas from people who live there or currently live there. THANKS!
I dont know of any Jewish Areas in Indy however the city is NOT against jews its just the jewish community here hasnt made a standout neighborhood yet however im sure you could find something. As far as picking a side of Indy i would recommend reading about Indianapolis cultural districts some are for different crowds. Example would be Broad Ripple Village for younger singles etc. North side is good however there is also the west side and north west side which is growing too. Personally I would pick an area thats either close to downtown or near a major road that goes directly to downtown. Alot of our major conventions etc. are held at the Indiana convention center and downtown always has something to do.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,663,277 times
There are two jewish areas. Carmel (all) but mostly near ditch rd and northern indy near the jewish center off hoover near 71st street. Old money indy, new money carmel. You will know what that means. All carmel schools bus to bje for hebrew school. Look in order carmel, westfield, north indy,Zionsville, fishers, noblesville.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Are you reform, conservative, or orthadox? All 3 have congregations in the hoover-meridan- springmill and 71st area. Near jcc. There is also a conservative congregation at 116th and towne in carmel. You can get to any of these from the areas i mentioned in about 15 mins or less.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,384,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
There are two jewish areas. Carmel (all) but mostly near ditch rd and northern indy near the jewish center off hoover near 71st street. Old money indy, new money carmel. You will know what that means. All carmel schools bus to bje for hebrew school. Look in order carmel, westfield, north indy,Zionsville, fishers, noblesville.
Ya i forgot about Carmel's Jewish population as i thought the poster was talking about living directly in the city

Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks for all of your help! I keep feeling like I get steered to the north side but I hear its "Expensive" or "uppidy" and not that that is bad...

How does everyone feel about the west side of town? or even the East? The south might be too far from the Jewish area and the only couple we know lives on the southside...so we wouldn't want to be too far from them.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Oh, and I don't mind being out of the city...I just have never been..I just want to be close to it all.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM

If you want to be in the jewish community you will want to live north side. I dont see it as that uppidy. Everyones pretty nice here. This town is smaller than chicago. One side of town to another is 30 mins depending on if you go 465 or thru town. Also time of day. Come to town and driver around. Find the place you want to live. Side of town etc. If you want to live near friend do that. Drive to temple.. If you want to live near jewish area do that and drive to your friend. Either way should work. Drive isnt that bad either way.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Yea I guess Im just used to Chicago living. I live in the far nw burbs of chicago and I live at LEAST 45 mins from the closest jewish community. But its WAY to expensive to live there and really in Chicago traffic...too far. So I'd like to be closer this time if at all possible. But I guess Im not really used to living in areas where it doesn't take long to get from North to South

I just want to make sure when we start looking at houses, we aren't looking in bad areas that we shouldn't be looking in...ya know??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or