U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,111 times
Default Looking for cheap yet safe area in INDY

I am moving from Columbus Ohio to Indy within the month or really as soon as transfer goes through. I really can't go as high as the Carmel area as I see from older posts that is a very nice area. I don't want shot while carrying in the groceries.It's just a thought that goes through my head if I make the wrong choice. Are there any areas close to downtown Indianapolis that would work? I know all cities have crime and nowhere is off limits to it but I want some feeling of safety. I checked the web for some places and I find tons that are for 550. but not knowing the areas I don't know what I should stay out of and what may be older or run down but relatively safe.
I have always liked Indianapolis but that was as a tourist so I never paid much attention to what was going on when I was there.

I appreciate any guidance
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM

2,726 posts, read 1,886,638 times
Yes there are tons and definitely some more distressed areas in the city. For $550, You would be able to find some Van Rooy properties downtown or you might luck up and find something on the Canal for around that price. You can also head south where you would be able to find a 1 br for around 550 preferably south of 465. If I'm not mistaken you can get around that range around Southport rd, which is but a 10 minute jaunt to downtown up 65. There's also Beech Grove which is also a quick trip downtown. You can also hit around Valley Vista which is actually Greenwood, exit 101 but it's only 5 minutes tacked on for time from southport road.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM

675 posts, read 1,011,844 times
What neighborhood in Columbus are you coming from? I might be able to make some comparisons for you.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,377 times
Anywhere around downtown Indy is pretty patchy as far as ghetto areas. I'd say look at places north of 38th street at least, generally speaking. Broad Ripple is a great area, just try to stay north of 52nd street. I've lived in Broad Ripple, and now live just outside of it, and have always felt safe there. My friend owns properties near downtown on the near east side and has had a lot of stuff stolen from her places, there are just a lot of wondering low lifes. It is much like Columbus, theres good areas and not so good areas. Much better than Cinci though, as I am from around Dayton.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,660,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalmatt View Post
Anywhere around downtown Indy is pretty patchy as far as ghetto areas. I'd say look at places north of 38th street at least, generally speaking. Broad Ripple is a great area, just try to stay north of 52nd street. I've lived in Broad Ripple, and now live just outside of it, and have always felt safe there. My friend owns properties near downtown on the near east side and has had a lot of stuff stolen from her places, there are just a lot of wondering low lifes. It is much like Columbus, theres good areas and not so good areas. Much better than Cinci though, as I am from around Dayton.
I just drove through downtown today as part of Gen Con Indy 2011. The only problematic area of Indy i have noticed is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. drive just north of I-65. Also a small area north of I-65 looks unsafe but it actually isnt theres a difference between seeing black kids wearing rock N roll clothes and acting like a gangster than really being one and causing trouble.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 AM

Default went to Indy on sunday

Ok, I am now questioning if i want the promotion or not.

I will say that I am usually quick to judge, that's wrong I know that but after seein a townhome in Irvington I was happy, it seemed ok. Kinda like the short north area of Columbus, Diverese, not as "cool" or well maintained but not bad. Different cultures. Then I came out of the townhome and the " Adult" neighbors from two doors down were chasing a high school boy down and getting in his face. Then the rest of the family from that house followed and got in the street so I was there watching this with nowhere to go. The man wouldn't let the kid walk by, body blocking him. Other neighbors shouted about calling the police then I was able to pass and got out of there.

Is this a normal thing? I mean I live right off of high street in the short north area of columbus and never have any problems. yeah people will steal things from your car if you don't lock your doors but over all. Nothing like fights in the street. There are some just north of here but I've never seen it.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 AM

6,646 posts, read 7,182,854 times
Irvington is a wonderful neighborhood if you plan to live in a house. The apartments through there leave a lot to be desired IMO. I've never witnessed things like you describe, but I don't doubt that it happens. The people I know in Irvington live in houses, both owning and renting. They've never had any problems out of the ordinary.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Irvington is a wonderful neighborhood if you plan to live in a house. The apartments through there leave a lot to be desired IMO. I've never witnessed things like you describe, but I don't doubt that it happens. The people I know in Irvington live in houses, both owning and renting. They've never had any problems out of the ordinary.
It was a double I looked at with parking on street and out behind the house. It was a block north of Washington st. The place itself was nice. central ac hardwood floors downstairs and carpet upstairs. The street seemed fine, houses looked well maintained. I had coffee at a cute little coffee shop around the corner. For some reason I'm just a little put off now. and the thing is I'm sure it's not the norm there. it just HAD to happen while I was looking. Nervous I guess about making the move.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,660,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2indy View Post
It was a double I looked at with parking on street and out behind the house. It was a block north of Washington st. The place itself was nice. central ac hardwood floors downstairs and carpet upstairs. The street seemed fine, houses looked well maintained. I had coffee at a cute little coffee shop around the corner. For some reason I'm just a little put off now. and the thing is I'm sure it's not the norm there. it just HAD to happen while I was looking. Nervous I guess about making the move.
lol its ok to be Nervous but in this economy you gotta do what you gotta do youll see that Indy is fine for you and heck its growing faster than Columbus Ohio.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

2,726 posts, read 1,886,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2indy View Post
I would say don't worry too much. For a situation like that, if it were something serious you better believe the residents wouldn't be up in the kids face like that. More likely a kid being a kid and doing stupid stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis