Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 PM

42 posts, read 167,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Yep ontop of that the Mayor of Indy is making 100k a year as i said when i run for Mayor ill cut my salary by 50% and my administrations by 30% and hire cops with the money saved. Only takes a genius to come up with that idea........
I'd vote for yea!

And yes I knew exactly what I was getting into. I have lived downtown for the better part of my life in all kinds of different places. I have seen the worst this city has to offer several times over. That stuff doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is how completely broken the city governance is. Ok so the police don't care about thefts, Great! But, that doesn't give them an excuse to botch an arrest where they have the guy red handed. Last time I checked Burglary, and theft were both felonies. I expect the cops to enforce that crap no matter where I am. Hell last time I checked people still go to jail downtown for Minor Marijuana possession 24/7. If they have time for that they better have time for my friggin thefts.

Maybe my ranting and raving confused my points. I admit I have been a little worked up about the matter. But my problem isn't with my neighborhood its with my neighbors. I have plenty of good neighbors around here who are owner/occupied. And there are some really nice houses here on Illinois St. I bought this house for less then most people probably spend on their High School car. And someone had already replaced windows, drywall, roof and siding. Dream come true honestly. If I had to demo and drywall another 2,500 sq ft home I'd probably go nuts.

I moved over here to protect my investment as I worked. At the time the houses surrounding me were vacant so their was alot of stripping and scrapping going on. Problem neighbors came about 6 months later. I will be done with this place by next spring and will figure out my next move soon after. I have done 3 total rehabs in the past 6 years. Its basically my after work hobby. I should have a decent payday when I cash out.

One of the higher ups at the IMPD North District finally called me back. But I was out at the time. He said he would call tomorrow. So I will know more then.

I can understand someones desire to not live in the city but even though I gripe its the only place in central Indiana for me. Suburbs aren't really my cup of tea. And the country in Indiana doesn't appeal to me. Wife is ready to get to the mountains and start making babies so my ghetto living is destined to end soon anyways.

Thanks for the replies guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
Default I know how you feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastie View Post
Hi everyone I am in need of some serious help dealing with some section 8 neighbors of mine.

First I want to clarify that I have no problem with section 8 in general but these particular tenants are the bottom of the barrel variety.

They party all night, are loud, they sell drugs out of their house, foot traffic 24/7 all around my property, kids have damaged my property, kayaks were burglarized from my property about 2 months ago as well. Neighbors actually saw them do it and called the police. Police somehow pulled them over with kayaks in tow(going to local pawn shop). And then let them go. How this happens I have no idea....Detective said it was probably because the call in was anonymous. My neighbor is a elderly gentleman and fears testifying against these scum bags. I don't blame him.

I moved into my house about 2 years ago to start fixing it up/watching it so I can sell it in a few years. The problem tenants moved in around the same time. I could literally write a 100 line list of all the problems I have had. They have several school age kids who run around all day unsupervised. The parents sit on their stoop and do drugs and drink all day long. I am literally shocked that they haven't been kicked out/evicted with the amount of police calls.

I am at my wits end and need advice on how to proceed. Anyone who has dealt with a similar issue please chime in.

Thanks
This section 8 crap has me at wits end also. I feel like us tax paying homeowners were sold out! Personally I had no problem with low income developements...as the saying goes, You get what you pay for. Well, if thats all they were willing to pay for then thats all they should get...right? Wrong! Not with this section 8 crap!! You work hard to make a semi good living for yourself and your famility then here these drug selling, non working, government check chasing follks comes along with their vouchers and get to live in the same way that YOU do. It isn't like they are law abiding citizens...NO. They have constant traffic coming to and leaving the house because they sell drugs! There's an abundance of people living in the house when I thought section 8 was for a select few! They are loud, they blast music early in the morning and late at night. It seems like everyone released from the county jail comes to live there.....I just don't know what to do! "WE" the homeowners had nothing to say about it...all we could do is sit back and just take it!!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM

990 posts, read 1,726,014 times
call the plice and complain about anything possible if the place is trashy call the board of health and dont let up the squeaky wheel gets the grease

Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
People can get away with this until the neighbors speak-up in unison.

Had something similar with a small apartment building in my city...

Twelve neighbors got together and filed a lawsuit against the owner for maintaining a public nuisance... the Judge sided with the neighbors after the police logs were submitted into evidence.

All that is required for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.

By the way... HUD has a Zero Tolerance Policy on Illegal Drugs.

The trouble makers will loose their Section 8 permanently if convicted on Drug charges.
I had a section 8 person in one of my rentals for 2 yrs. When she moved in another friend who was also getting SSI she did not report her extra income so we had her moved out via HUD. I was losing money for extra rent due to 2 people and the tax payer was losing money for supporting 2 incomes, and foodstamps in one household.

Another sec. 8 renter got busted by cops for doing breakins and stealing to support her drug habit. She got immediately removed from my property in 30 days and lost her kids and permanently lost her sec. 8 perks. I just wrote a letter to Hud and documented everything and it was taken care of. I don't rent to sec. 8 anymore!!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird135 View Post
Glad to hear you are exercising your 2nd amendment rights. My best advice is to contact the property owner but try to stay anoymous. I know the type of people you are dealing with, and if they find out you "snitched" you will come home to flat tires and broken windows, if not worse.

Doesnt it just kill you to know these are the people our tax dollars are supporting?
Now hold on wait just a minute I have section 8 and are nothing like the people she described. I am a single mother with a steady income and love my children and want a better life for them. Thats why Im moving to Hamilton county because the school system is much better. My kids are honor roll students and are very well involved in school. No it does not make any since that people are ignorant like that. Legally no they are not to disturbe their surroundings and interfere with their neighbors peace and well-being. What you need to do is call the housing authority and report them to them. Also call the landlord!!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
You tried to reason with animals, bad move. I would get the hell out of dodge ASAP if you can. If anything bad happens now, they could recall your attempt to tell them how to live their life (how dare you!) and thus they may target you for retaliation.

Your situation sucks, and is one reason why if I ever move, it will be into a very specific area in order to avoid any possibility of Section 8 neighbors. Section 8 is spreading, and it will soon spread to all those $90K-$100K vinyl village home neighborhoods all over the metro area. The only thing that will stop it is if the covenants have an owner occupied rule AND it is enforced by the ruling HOA. Unfortunately, if subsidized housing grows, I can see future lawsuits trying to ban such rules on the grounds of racism.
I am so tired of everyone saying its section 8 tenants. Not everyone on section 8 are bad tenants you just live around ignorant peolle who don't care about the way they live. I am a very clean person with a job and section 8. I care about appearance, but believe me there are a lot of people out there that is not on section 8 that are just as bad or worse. That is why I moved from where I lived. Im also buying my own home next year, so you cant put all section tenants in that category.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 AM

42 posts, read 167,727 times
Have not browsed city data in awhile because life has been really hectic the last year or so. But I saw this thread a few pages back and figured I would chime in on an update.

The section 8 neighbors finally got booted out, only took the housing authority about a year and a half to get it done. That was with 4 of us neighbors complaining on a monthly basis. They ended up losing their section 8 due to having more people then allowed living there. Though you figured the boyfriend being arrested for cocaine dealing would of sealed the deal about 7 months ago.

The cops finally started taking notice around here to after a man was murdered a few houses down by the neighborhood punks who people have been complaining about for years. These same thugs constantly hung out at my section 8 neighbors house as well. After the murder several houses around here were raided, section 8's all over the place were kicked out and things are the quietest they have ever been in the 3 years I have lived here.

I finished the house awhile ago and in this small moment of peace time I can hopefully sell this place off before the street is overrun again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: