Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,628 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and 2 mo old son are moving to the Indianapolis area. I will be working in Greensburg and he will be working in Carmel. I know they are 60 miles apart...where should we live? We are looking for an apartment that will hold us over until we buy a house. It doesn't have to be anything fancy since we are saving for a house, but I don't want a gross, unsafe one. Any recommendations? Should we live further South near Shelbyville, or is there someplace closer to the city that is still affordable? We enjoy parks and would probably want to be close to 74 for driving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,112 times
If you lived in carmel the drive to greensburg would be just under a hour. Anyway you look at it one of you or both will be driving. If you go fishers near i69-465. Then the drive to carmel would be 15 or so minutes depending where work is and about 45 mins to greensburg. I would look in carmel near 465, quick hop onto 465 for drive to greensburg.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyingthesummer View Post
Hello! My husband and 2 mo old son are moving to the Indianapolis area. I will be working in Greensburg and he will be working in Carmel. I know they are 60 miles apart...where should we live? We are looking for an apartment that will hold us over until we buy a house. It doesn't have to be anything fancy since we are saving for a house, but I don't want a gross, unsafe one. Any recommendations? Should we live further South near Shelbyville, or is there someplace closer to the city that is still affordable? We enjoy parks and would probably want to be close to 74 for driving...
Ha ha, doesn't matter where you work, north siders will always say live north. If you are concerned about distance then Shelbyville would be a little over 20 min for you and 40 min for hubby to carmel. New Palestine would be a 38 minute trip for you and 26 min for hubby. Shelbyville is Shelby County while New Pal is Hancock county right over the county border with Marion.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
I second New palestine.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:37 PM

38 posts, read 91,011 times
You may also look into the Franklin Township area on the far SE side of Indy. There are some nice, quiet communities out there and almost in the middle of Greensburg and Carmel; notice I said almost.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,161 times
Hi, enjoyingthesummer. It's an exciting time for you, with a newborn and a inter-state move...you've got your hands full! : ) I hope that I can make a couple of comments that you will find helpful, both as a Realtor and a parent.

Personally, I would recommend that you choose either Greensburg or Carmel and try to find a place within 15 minutes of your selection. With a very young child, you may find it uncomfortable and impractical to have both of you driving a half hour or more to work. Where would your child be cared for? Would he make that big drive with you or your husband each day? My suggestion is also based upon the practicality of two people with long commutes: why beat up two vehicles with a daily drive like that?

Also, Carmel and Greensburg are two very different communities, in general. Carmel is located in Hamilton County, which has the highest per capita income of any county in Indiana. And Carmel is typically considered the 'wealthy' part of Hamilton County. Excellant public schools, beautiful neighborhoods, great shopping and other amenities (parks and trails, community activities, etc). If you are used to a higher-end suburban lifestyle, Carmel will be an exciting area for you to explore.

On the other hand, Greensburg is not considered a suburb of Indianapolis, but is a more rural community and is based on a more agricultural and manufacturing economic base. It's very charming and has a wonderful small-town feel, although plenty of people that live there commute into Indy for work. Decent public schools, friendly and welcoming people, down-to-earth home prices when compared directly with Carmel.

If I were working with you as your Realtor, our first conversation would be about where you are coming from, what you liked about that place, what you would have liked to have changed? Are you a big-city couple or more small-town oriented?

I hope these thoughts have given you some insight! Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like more a personal interaction. Good luck!

Sandy Thomas, Realtor
www dot SandyThomas dot callCarpenter dot com

Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheath View Post
You may also look into the Franklin Township area on the far SE side of Indy. There are some nice, quiet communities out there and almost in the middle of Greensburg and Carmel; notice I said almost.
Only apartments in FT is right off of 65 and southport rd. Might as well be in Beech Grove

Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Only apartments in FT is right off of 65 and southport rd. Might as well be in Beech Grove
Ya. However being on the east side close to 74 Isnt a bad idea.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM

True, I would more than likely recommend if that were the case New Pal. It's close to 74. Hop on at Brookville rd and bam next exit right there. Not sure if there are any apartment complexes right off of the Post Rd exit on 74 though; coming up blank. I would def. recommend east of the point where Southeastern turns to 74.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM

83 posts, read 180,739 times
If not southeast Indianapolis, you might want to check out Greenfield Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis