Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,405 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Indianapolis at the end of November. I work overnight stocking at a SuperTarget in Florida and would like to know if there are any SuperTargets in Indianapolis that can be reached via the local bus system since I do not drive? Does anyone know of any good, safe, inexpensive apartments near a Target store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
SuperTargets are at Southport and I65, North of I465 and Michigan, Avon area on Rockport, I69 and 37. None are near any major or even minor bus routes that I am aware of. Indygo is the bus system and maybe you could tie in the actual store locations from the Target website with the bus routes from Indygo. There are a few of the nonsuperTarget stores on bus lines but the supertargets usually require more parking.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 PM

79 posts, read 461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
SuperTargets are at Southport and I65, North of I465 and Michigan, Avon area on Rockport, I69 and 37. None are near any major or even minor bus routes that I am aware of. Indygo is the bus system and maybe you could tie in the actual store locations from the Target website with the bus routes from Indygo. There are a few of the nonsuperTarget stores on bus lines but the supertargets usually require more parking.
The Target in NORA (86th) (while not a surprisingly a super target considering the size and space they used) is on a bus route, I've taken it a few times.. I think it's Route 18. Runs from downtown to 86th.

Also Routes 22 31 and 8 eastbound run past a Target as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 AM

11 posts, read 60,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
Is it really that bad in Indy? What are you comparing it to? When I have been there (and lived there) it seemed a bit bland (6 years ago); nice but a bit bland but never unsafe.

Has somehing changed?
I've been going to Indy regularly for about six or seven years now and I have NEVER felt safe after dark unless there was a large crowd. Last year we did New Years at Jillians downtown and I didn't have a problem walking around after 1 AM with the hundreds of others on that road, but with the seemingly huge homeless population coming out and lining the underpasses and other sheltered areas, it's just a little scary if you're the only other ones out.

I've rarely taken a trip to Indy, staying until after dark, and not felt at least slightly threatened at some point. I'd rather be on my way home when the sun sets.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 62,714 times
There is a new neighborhood called "Homecoming" in Greenwood, which is just south of Indianapolis. It has a VERY high Indian population. And it seems to be a very close knit community -- every warm day, they had basketball, rugby or volleyball games going. It is a beautiful community - built by CP Morgan.

I lived in the Wellington Place Apartments in Fishers before we built our house. Loved these apartments -- close to shopping, nightlife, etc. The security was great, too! And we had several familis in our apartment building who were Indian.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 42,580 times
Wellington Place Apartments! Can you tell me more about these apartments? My fiance and I are possibly looking at those apartments because it's down the street from my job in Fishers. Is it expensive? I think I'm gonna go look it up right now

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 AM

130 posts, read 322,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andonlyjoanie View Post
I would like to move to Indianapolis at the end of November. I work overnight stocking at a SuperTarget in Florida and would like to know if there are any SuperTargets in Indianapolis that can be reached via the local bus system since I do not drive? Does anyone know of any good, safe, inexpensive apartments near a Target store?
yes, there is one on 116th st in fishers (suburb) though targets are spuratic throughout the city. If you are an overnight stocker you could lock up a position at any of the major retailers. I will have this to say about indianapolis, the bus system sucks. All buses go downtown so if you want to go from NE side to NW side, you have to travel downtown first. And, buses do not go out to the suburbs, for example, the bus does not go further north east than 96th street so it will not reach that apartment. That being said, a good safe apartment is cheap in this city. ~500 to 600 alot of times with utilities paid.

hope this helps

Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM

28 posts, read 101,580 times
ive been in Indy for a over a year now and this town is a joke, the roads are the worst i have ever seen and ive lived all over the U.S....louisiana and arkansas have better roads...they can afford to build a multimillion $ stadium
but not fix the roads, in 1 month i had 3 people pull over in front of my house with flat tires from potholes.
i see more police here than i did in the 2 years i lived in miami, my father and i witnessed one fire his gun at the ground in a residential area because he was scarred of a dog.
also the property tax fiasco...never been in a city this size more poorly run
(with the exception of Detriot).
i lived in denver for 14 yrs and watched that town go from a wanna be player in the 1980s to the world class city it is today...in 2008 Indy reminds me of Denver in the 80s.
do yourself a favor go to Austin,Dallas,San Antonio, Denver,Albuquerque
hell, Louisville KY is only a hour and a half south and its 3 times the city that Indy is....at least these towns have some character.
...remember the superbowl? the mayors of Chicago and Indy made a bet and had to put up something indigenous to the city..(deep dish pizza..philly cheese etc)...i cant even remember what it was Indys mayor put up but it was so lame Conan Obrian, Leno, John Stewart all made jokes about it
life is short, live some place at least a little bit cool if you can...i came here to do some work at E Lily thank God its over and this is my last month here

Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG74K View Post
remember the superbowl? the mayors of Chicago and Indy made a bet and had to put up something indigenous to the city..(deep dish pizza..philly cheese etc)...i cant even remember what it was Indys mayor put up but it was so lame Conan Obrian, Leno, John Stewart all made jokes about it
This was the bet Bart Peterson and Indy put up:

Indy’s wager package includes:

Tickets to the Big Ten Basketball Championship held in Conseco Fieldhouse and all three races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which are the largest single day sporting events in the world.

Tickets to see legendary singer/songwriter Neil Sedaka perform with the award-winning Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra this spring and admission to many other events, museums and amenities from the city’s arts and culture scene.

Elaborate spreads from 13 of Indianapolis’ finest local restaurants.

Hmmm, I am not sure what they made fun of. They may have made fun of it, I don't know, it is there job to do so afterall.....

Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG74K View Post
ive been in Indy for a over a year now and this town is a joke, the roads are the worst i have ever seen and ive lived all over the U.S....louisiana and arkansas have better roads...they can afford to build a multimillion $ stadium
but not fix the roads, in 1 month i had 3 people pull over in front of my house with flat tires from potholes.
i see more police here than i did in the 2 years i lived in miami, my father and i witnessed one fire his gun at the ground in a residential area because he was scarred of a dog.
also the property tax fiasco...never been in a city this size more poorly run
(with the exception of Detriot).
i lived in denver for 14 yrs and watched that town go from a wanna be player in the 1980s to the world class city it is today...in 2008 Indy reminds me of Denver in the 80s.
do yourself a favor go to Austin,Dallas,San Antonio, Denver,Albuquerque
hell, Louisville KY is only a hour and a half south and its 3 times the city that Indy is....at least these towns have some character.
...remember the superbowl? the mayors of Chicago and Indy made a bet and had to put up something indigenous to the city..(deep dish pizza..philly cheese etc)...i cant even remember what it was Indys mayor put up but it was so lame Conan Obrian, Leno, John Stewart all made jokes about it
life is short, live some place at least a little bit cool if you can...i came here to do some work at E Lily thank God its over and this is my last month here
I've lived here 20 years and have to agree about the roads. I recently and unfortunately had to run an errand on the westside. I believe it was on Holt Rd in an industial area. The street was something third world. Had to keep it below 20mph just to keep from injuring myself or my car. I couldn't believe I was in Indy. I also had to work in Perry Township a few weeks ago and had forgotten how out dated and just plan ugly the area is. The kicker was being inside a gas station and in walks a gal wearing her pajamas. I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone.

I hope the new mayor can make some changes that stick and doesn't have to spend his time undoing the impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis