Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 AM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
There are some good local brews here, although I wouldn't call them outstanding. Compared to Pittsburgh, Indiana is a lot closer to the very good small craft stuff coming out of places like WI, IL, and MI that makes its way here, however. It's nice to have a wide selection of highly reputable brews within a 5-6 hr truck drive of the source....Bell's, New Glarus, Goose Island (not so little anymore thanks to A-B), Three Floyds, Capitol are some good ones. The best craft brewery in the state is probably Three Floyd's 30 minutes from downtown Chicago. Upland and Sun King (among others) are solid. One thing to keep in mind is that you trade PA's stupid beer laws for Indiana's, ie, no beer distributor, but no retail alcohol sales on Sunday, you need to go to a liquor store for cold beer (warm beer only in grocery stores and gas stations).
We had no shortage of beer when I went to Ball State, 40 minutes NE of Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
The various types of ethnic restaurants mentioned are all here, I think. They are locally-owned by people from those countries or regions. Of the ones I've been to, I think their food is good for the most part, but I'd need to try it against comparable dishes from other cities in order to give a qualified opinion on whether it is as good as those restaurants in other cites.

If you move to Washington Township on the northside, you should have no problem with the culture; there don't seem to be many evangelicals or fundamentalists around there. There is, however, a sizable Jewish population, at least one Eastern Orthodox church, as well as various mainline protestant and Catholic churches. I know you're not interested in churches, but this might give you some insight into the makeup of the population in that area.

If you move downtown, you shouldn't have any major problems other than the public schools in the central part of the city. But there are exceptions to the public schools there, too. There is a magnet school you might be interested in for your kids, The Center for Inquiry. This magnet school is housed in two buildings, and competition is pretty intense to get accepted, I'm told.
Don't forget Mitch Daniels Voucher program Don't like the Public Schools? go to a Private School and avoid the mess in the public
education system.
With State Money being provided to make sure you can afford a private school (not that expensive)

Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM

225 posts, read 755,506 times
To the OP: You are no doubt seeing replies from some people here who are fitting the stereotype of what you imagined about this city. I refuse to be drawn by others in this forum into a useless discussion over the merits or the lack thereof of various governmental programs or policies that have been enacted in this state.

My recommendation is to go with your gut feeling about moving here or staying in Pittsburgh. Your intuition will likely be correct.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
To the OP: You are no doubt seeing replies from some people here who are fitting the stereotype of what you imagined about this city. I refuse to be drawn by others in this forum into a useless discussion over the merits or the lack thereof of various governmental programs or policies that have been enacted in this state.

My recommendation is to go with your gut feeling about moving here or staying in Pittsburgh. Your intuition will likely be correct.
I Messaged him earlier and he said is going to probably move to Indy but he is visiting here in october. Luked Remember that since our housing market is one of the most affordable in the US you can in all honestly be just about anywhere you want. Only Meridian hills and extreme high end areas like that might be out of your Price Range. But if you want an active nightlife area etc. or something with a little ump you could do Broad Ripple or Downtown.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM

25 posts, read 46,560 times
I read through this whole thread and can anyone pick out the two individuals who are PMSing over Indy? Way to scare anyone thinking of moving here (which isn't me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis