U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM

3,894 posts, read 5,226,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandme View Post
Please, get over yourself. I lived in KC for a couple years and while it wasn't my favorite place, it was fine. There are is no specific breed of women, ready to catch and haul you back to their cave, and neither are there super aggressive gays hunting down delicate heterosexual prey. While it is smackdab in the middle of the bible belt, there is a young and vibrant society out there. Maybe you just socialize with the wrong crowd.

I seriously do not get all this. Sure, you can't find the same things here as in NYC, DC, or San Francisco, but it is not the moon either. You will get as much out of a location as you are willing to put in. If you want to camp out every weekend you'll have to drive a bit, but there are enough possibilities for that here. Sure, it's not WV, but that's just something you'll have to live with. That, or move. And the same goes for everything else.
Bingo well said Tandme.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM

6,101 posts, read 10,375,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandme View Post
Please, get over yourself. I lived in KC for a couple years and while it wasn't my favorite place, it was fine. There are is no specific breed of women, ready to catch and haul you back to their cave, and neither are there super aggressive gays hunting down delicate heterosexual prey. While it is smackdab in the middle of the bible belt, there is a young and vibrant society out there. Maybe you just socialize with the wrong crowd.

I seriously do not get all this. Sure, you can't find the same things here as in NYC, DC, or San Francisco, but it is not the moon either. You will get as much out of a location as you are willing to put in. If you want to camp out every weekend you'll have to drive a bit, but there are enough possibilities for that here. Sure, it's not WV, but that's just something you'll have to live with. That, or move. And the same goes for everything else.
Well, my experiences in KC seem to indicate these people have bigger issues than I do. Glad to hear you didn't have any problems here. I sure have.

Laying out my experiences in KC was done in an effort to get the OP to understand that I did not have the same kind of experiences in Indy. Thus, my point to him is to try to cut Indy some slack and give it a chance. I gave KC a chance and most of the people have turned out to be ignorant cretins and wannabe California Yuppies with a conformist sheep mentality. I live in a small rural town outside of KC and that has actually been better in some ways. Hard to believe.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Great info. However are you planning on moving back to Indy cause of the reasons you described above?
Mebbe. Right now I first have to see what happens with the economy and also how my brother's divorce turns out. Too much going on right now for me to make any kind of decision about where to move at this point. I am also seriously considering a move to the Pittsburgh area since I've also found that area to be more welcoming than KC. I'll have a better idea next year.

We really should not be discussing my situation though. My story was merely posted to help the OP to see that a person will have different experiences in different areas. And in my case, Indy did not present a great deal of problems and I am hoping that in turn he'll see fit to give the place a chance.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,787,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
Are there daily protests at planned parenthood?
Are pamphleteers out in swarms?
Is religion relevant to Indianapolis (and Indiana) politics?
Is there likely to be a push to teach creationism in Indy-area schools in the next 15 years?

Just trying to get a sense of the overall public religious climate as someone moving successively farther southwest, starting in New England where religion is basically not a public thing.
YES to all those! I hate the overly religious overtones in just about everything, especially politics!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM

6,494 posts, read 11,994,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
YES to all those! I hate the overly religious overtones in just about everything, especially politics!
Please direct the group to sources documenting the efforts to teach creationism in Indy-area public schools.

As to the others, protests against Planned Parenthood occur all over the country. Catholics in the NE are some of the most virulent anti-abortion folks on Earth. Religion is a political factor in pretty much every state, albeit to varying degrees. But on a local level here in Indy, I challenge anyone to show me how it plays at significant role, if any at all. Local politics is more concerned with paving streets, plowing snow and law enforcement.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM

25,213 posts, read 43,110,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Laying out my experiences in KC was done in an effort to get the OP to understand that I did not have the same kind of experiences in Indy. Thus, my point to him is to try to cut Indy some slack and give it a chance. I gave KC a chance and most of the people have turned out to be ignorant cretins and wannabe California Yuppies with a conformist sheep mentality. I live in a small rural town outside of KC and that has actually been better in some ways. Hard to believe.
AGREE 100%, particularly if you are referring to JOCO. JOCO is in its own little bubble just like the people there who like to think that flashy new money is very important. JOCO is becoming less and less like the Midwest with each passing decade. "wannabe California Yuppies," ABSOLUTELY. If they were truly high earner entreprenuer types they would be living in California (Silicon Valley in particular) and not the KC metro area.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM

219 posts, read 440,948 times
It's so funny hearing these KC/Indy comparisons! I just came from KC to Indy, and to me, it'd be hard to find two cities that are more alike. Except, from what I hear, Indy and Columbus, but then I wouldn't know firsthand...

Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
It's so funny hearing these KC/Indy comparisons! I just came from KC to Indy, and to me, it'd be hard to find two cities that are more alike. Except, from what I hear, Indy and Columbus, but then I wouldn't know firsthand...
They are quite dissimilar really. Indy is more Conservative while KC is more Liberal. Indy people tend to be much friendlier and more helpful while KC people are very self absorbed. KC has several vibrant, densely developed inner city areas for living and shopping like Westport, Country Club Plaza, Waldo and the area at the extreme edge north of downtown along the Missouri River. Indy I seem to recall only has the Broad Nipple area and little else. Indy's downtown is more vibrant than KC. More people live and play in downtown Indy than in KC. KC is a bit hillier than Indy which is quite flat. Indy has some northeastern influences in its culture while KC is decidedly influenced by the culture of California and the SW states.

Similarities include lots of spread out suburban developments. And both cities are quite large in the number of square miles designated as the corporate limits.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 PM

25,213 posts, read 43,110,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
The climate in Indy is quite a bit different than KC. Indy is much cloudier than KC, particularly late Fall to early Spring.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM

163 posts, read 282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm a former resident. Currently my older brother lives in Indy.

First some background. I come from a New England Prep/Ivy League background. Family (father) and friends went to Ivy League schools and Prep schools. We are an upper middle class and wealthy family with a similar social circle with most of the people residing in New England. I spent most of my life living in the Hartford area but during the last 20 years I've decided to live in some different places to see how they compare to New England.

Currently I live in the Kansas City area and hate it. I did not have any preconceived notions about this area before moving here. In fact prior to moving here the first time I was here a long time friend (now no longer part of my social circle) moved here after transferring with AT&T from Providence. He loves it here. A year after he moved here I noticed a change in his personality and behavior. He went from having the same girl friend for ten years in New England (and one that was educated at that) to sleeping around with women at work and others that he met at bars. He also became a racist, anti semite, self absorbed and lazy after moving to KC. Prior to that he was merely a bigot and at least had a good work ethic. Sadly, his personality started to mimic the negative traits that are ingrained in the culture in KC. The women here are very shallow and full of themselves. This is the ONLY place I've lived where I've actually had women tell me they don't want to go out with me despite the fact I am not only not interested in dating these particular women but also not really talking to them to any great degree. Women over the age of 40 have been the worst offenders. They "think" if a guy talks to them that he is after something. Real pinheads. People in general are paranoid of people from cultures that are unfamiliar and ignorant because most of the natives are not well traveled. People here like to bully other people into conforming into their lifestyle because they are not comfortable with non conformists.

Now onto Indy. I did not experience ANY of the issues above while living there. People are definitely friendlier than they are in Missouri and women especially those 20 somethings and college gals that don't automatically cop an attitude with a guy just because he talks to her for a minute or two. The work ethic in central Indiana is better than it is in the KC area. I did not see as many racial issues crop up there during my stay as I've seen in the KC area during a similar time frame. Indy is more business friendly than KC. When I presented a concept I have for a somewhat innovative small business concept, I found central Indiana communities were open to the idea. Kansas City? Nope. Laughed at it or brushed me off. If I had to do it again, I would definitely live in or near Indianapolis again.

I have a friend in Brownsburg that married a local gal and he seems happy there. He is from Kentucky originally but has been in Indy for almost ten years now.

My older brother is not happy in Indy but I think this is mostly due to the fact he is going through a messy divorce and the situation he has had with his wife (moved there for her job, not his) has jaded his ability to judge the place in an honest manner. He has said that the cultural differences between him and the local people is the primary problem. I've told him if he thinks the differences between the people of Indy and New Englander's is extreme he should try out KC for size. Personally, I've found that I can relate reasonably well to the local people and especially transplants of the area certainly more so than in Missouri.

The only real negative aspects I see in the area have already been pointed out. I too like hiking in the mountains or hills of New England or Colorado, the ocean and being in fairly remote forests for fun. And the lack of good Mom and Pop restaurants or at least a good number of them is something that the Indy area also lacks especially when comparing it to New England, NY and the Pittsburgh area. Aside from that, I find life there is quite agreeable.

Probably the most important advice I can give is the following. Please do not try to compare Indy to Boston or Pittsburgh. Two different animals. Look at the assets the area has to offer and try to work around the aspects you perceive as negative. I can get around the lack of good Mom and Pop restaurants by eating at home. And here in KC for example I will travel back to Connecticut or up to Iowa or Minnesota if I want to find better places to hike in a cooler climate than I find in KC. This is the best way to approach this move. Indy is Indy and as someone else pointed out, it does not put on any phony airs or pretentious attitudes. If you want those characteristics then by all means give Kansas City a look. These people are as phony as a 4$ bill, especially most of the women.

Edit. I should also add that here in KC over the years I've been sexually harassed, harassed by people in and outside of work. I've had gay guys try to pick me up and I'm not gay. I was even being stalked by some creep (weirdo woman) that I run into through work frequently. Never experienced this kind of behavior in Indy while living and working there.
You live in a different Kansas City than I did. Lived there 7 years and believe the people overall there to be some of the friendliest around and NOT phony. The women there are some of the most beautiful and down to earth you could find. I will grant that the women seem to be either pretty wild or down to earth/relatively conservative, not much in between. I will agree some of the women are a bit overly frank ( but, hey, it's the midwest ), but I found if I was straight up with guys or girls there, then they were straight up with me. Kansas Citians pick up on BS really well.

Carpe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis