Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

That ban came and went in a week. People in Carmel put the kibash on it and the Mayor backed down really quick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 06:53 PM

131 posts, read 648,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springwinter View Post
I also encountered quite some real estate sale agents 'with their noses in the air'. I just choose not to work with them. And I told them in their face, I don't want to work with them, I will only work with the other person in the same office.

I found younger people are much better!
Good for you. I commend you for what you chose to do.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
RiKrich

I live in Westfield/Carmel area and like it very much. I'm not a rich, snobby, preppy stereotypical Carmelite by any means. I come from poor immigrant parents, grew up in DC area, then moved to NC as a teenager. Grew up hard, earning everything I own including my college education. Mommy and Daddy did not and could not sport a penny, I worked my tail off and paid my way through everything.

As for now, I drive a 1995 Camry wagon with 200K miles, and live a very average life and have never felt uncomfortable in Carmel. Now to be honest, I've gotten looks and stuff every now and then but nothing I wouldn't get in some other yuppy town. A few times, I've gotten treated like I'm "Pepe" the "Grounds" keeper who doesn't speak any English!! But, that could happen anywhere. Overall, it's a great place and the people are "mostly" very nice regardless of your social class. Of course as I said earlier, there are errogant, ignorant folks like anywhere else in this world. When it comes to materialistic stuff, from my experiences, the people who really "got" it don't need to show it off and the ones that do "show" it off by driving fancy cars or what not and look down on others are probably in debt up to their eyeballs anyway (Generally speaking), so I don't worry about what they think, I"m just smarter than they are with my money, I don't waste it on a stupid car.

Anyway, don't judge a place without seeing it, come up for a visit, you may like it. Cheers mate!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,960 times
I have to jerk my son out of this school because I cannot find a job in my field here. Have exhausted this to the hilt. I wonder how all the other parents are able to secure jobs here, because I am a professional, and it is very hard to find work in my field here.
I am torn between moving my son out of the school and taking a job out west to get on my feet, as the company I work for here is closing.
This is the worst decision I have had to make. I cannot find anything, and I have been looking for a long time, that would be a livable wage here in Indiana.
What gives? I am a hard worker, conscientious, I show up to work (when I had a job), I have 2 college degrees, and I cannot make it here???

Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrich View Post
No need to apologize for your "long winded answer". I appreciate your contribution and perspective. If I drive through Carmel some time and drive safely as I always do, are you absolutely sure I won't be pulled over by the local cops because I don't own a luxury vehicle? Sorry, just kidding. However, I still think the Mayor of Carmel's effort to ban aluminum siding from being put on homes in the area was going TOO FAR. Hopefully he won't ban non luxury vehicles from entering the area-Sorry for the flip remark!
No problem. It is fun to joke about Carmel, even I do it, but just keep in mind not all the jokes are true!

I drove an old bright red volkswagon beetle when I was in high school...and I'll never forget my muffler falling off on the way home from my friends house (and that car was dang loud to begin with), so I had to drive through the heart of Carmel at 3 am in a VW with no muffler! I thought for sure I'd get 3 cop cars surrounding me, but I guess I got lucky.

I'd say the Carmel cops are no worse in pulling cars over than other towns. I've had my share of tickets all over this state...no matter what I was driving!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
RiKrich

I live in Westfield/Carmel area and like it very much. I'm not a rich, snobby, preppy stereotypical Carmelite by any means. I come from poor immigrant parents, grew up in DC area, then moved to NC as a teenager. Grew up hard, earning everything I own including my college education. Mommy and Daddy did not and could not sport a penny, I worked my tail off and paid my way through everything.

As for now, I drive a 1995 Camry wagon with 200K miles, and live a very average life and have never felt uncomfortable in Carmel. Now to be honest, I've gotten looks and stuff every now and then but nothing I wouldn't get in some other yuppy town. A few times, I've gotten treated like I'm "Pepe" the "Grounds" keeper who doesn't speak any English!! But, that could happen anywhere. Overall, it's a great place and the people are "mostly" very nice regardless of your social class. Of course as I said earlier, there are errogant, ignorant folks like anywhere else in this world. When it comes to materialistic stuff, from my experiences, the people who really "got" it don't need to show it off and the ones that do "show" it off by driving fancy cars or what not and look down on others are probably in debt up to their eyeballs anyway (Generally speaking), so I don't worry about what they think, I"m just smarter than they are with my money, I don't waste it on a stupid car.

Anyway, don't judge a place without seeing it, come up for a visit, you may like it. Cheers mate!
Hi There!
Many thanks for the reply. I enjoyed reading it, and appreciate your perspective. You made quite a few excellent points that should have occurred to me. Yeah, I did jump the gun as far as judging the place without having visited is concerned. And I commend you for working so hard to pay your own way and earn your own keep. As for your car, ANY TOYOTA IS A BEAUTY AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED! Even if it has rust spots, you take care of that Toyota, it will take care of you (I had a couple of them when I lived in Baltimore, and I intend to get another one ASAP) As far as visiting Carmel is concerned, I may take a ride up there over the weekend and check it out. Thanks again for the reply, and have a good one. Cheers!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU View Post
No problem. It is fun to joke about Carmel, even I do it, but just keep in mind not all the jokes are true!

I drove an old bright red volkswagon beetle when I was in high school...and I'll never forget my muffler falling off on the way home from my friends house (and that car was dang loud to begin with), so I had to drive through the heart of Carmel at 3 am in a VW with no muffler! I thought for sure I'd get 3 cop cars surrounding me, but I guess I got lucky.

I'd say the Carmel cops are no worse in pulling cars over than other towns. I've had my share of tickets all over this state...no matter what I was driving!
Hiya. Thanks for the info about the Carmel cops and I suppose I have always known that not all the jokes about Carmel and the "Carmelcrats" are true. You actually drove thru the heart of Carmel at three in the morning with no muffler, and you were not stopped, eh? Good for you. Good to hear from you. Take it easy.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 AM

14 posts, read 68,960 times
Default Carmel

Hello,

I live in Northwest Indiana but have visited Indy several times and stayed in several areas including Carmel and Nobelsville. My family really enjoyed our stay there. The people are always friendly, the town is clean, and there are numerous areas to shop and dine. My daughter is a competitive swimmer and we have encountered many parents and coaches from the area there as well. During a meet, you can see the worst brought out in people. However, the kids were all friendly and welcoming to the teams and the volunteers working the meets were wonderful. They gave suggestions on were to eat, stay etc.

As far as the cost of living goes and all the talk about "snobbery" people should come up here to Northwest Indiana. We have investigated the cost of living in Indy area vs where we are at and it is MUCH lower. Our home prices up here are absolutely ridiculous and northwest Indiana is doing nothing to keep up with salary with our very close neighbor Chicago. You cannot get a home comparable with something you can purchase in Carmel up here for anywhere close to the cost.

In my opinion Carmel is a nice town with plenty of options for various housing, shopping, dining and it seems that they offer a ton of options for family activities etc. A friend of ours live in Carmel and cannot say enough about the schools as well.

Hope you enjoy your look at Carmel.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 PM

308 posts, read 1,041,816 times
I work in an office with many Carmel patients, and have found that the "snooty" ones are usually the ones that don't live in the larger homes... it's like they try to make themselves feel better with the 'nose in the air attitude' because they're near it but not quite there. The wealthier ones are very humble and don't try to flaunt it. I can tell everytime, before looking at their address - - the nicer, more laid back patients that don't try to look down on you are the ones that some would think have "snooty" rights

Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM

38 posts, read 180,861 times
In my opinion, people in Carmel are like those you find in any other city or town, small or large. Some nice, some not so nice : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis