U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM

5,698 posts, read 6,363,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You can't find good deep dish chicago style.
That stuff is disgusting anyway.

Besides, a lot of Chicagoans don't eat the stuff. They'll tell you it's for the tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM

3,900 posts, read 2,067,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

Besides, a lot of Chicagoans don't eat the stuff. They'll tell you it's for the tourists.
'
owned

Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,200,243 times
There is a Chicago pizza place in Fishers ... Nancy's pizza. It's as close to home as you'll find. They have good beefs too and understand what it means when you want it dipped.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

Thats not true. There are giordanos and other deep dish places all over the suburbs. I doubt tourists from Chicago are responsible for those being in business. Not to mention they are all over non tourist areas of the city. I love it.

And Broadripple guy...You aren't even from Chicago.

Last edited by jman07; 10-02-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 04:41 PM

5,698 posts, read 6,363,958 times
Quote:
There are giordanos and other deep dish places all over the suburbs.
Along with Gino's and Malnati's. Yeah, I know. They also serve thin crust, as do the numerous other independents in Chicagoland. As others will say, deep dish isn't pizza. It's casserole. Glad you enjoy. I'm just busting your chops.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Doesn't Indy have some resturants Chicago doesn't Thinking on Mass. Ave in Downtown or Broad Ripple Village.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Doesn't Indy have some resturants Chicago doesn't Thinking on Mass. Ave in Downtown or Broad Ripple Village.
Ya. I don't think Chicago has a steak and shake or Olive Garden. LOL

Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Ya. I don't think Chicago has a steak and shake or Olive Garden. LOL
Thats Chicago Liberal Crap i am hearing. I am talking about on Mass. Ave/Broad Ripple Village i just drove past there but i can't remember the bars/resturant names.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,991,618 times
Quote:
I really wish Indy would get a portillos and giordinaos. Then I would move back no problem. I wonder if Indy could support those chains? Either Indy can't or they would be there or those chains choose to be in Chicagoland only. Can't imagine not having an Italian beef or polish anymore! When I first moved to Chicago I didn't even know what an Italian beef was!
I for one am glad Giordano's does not exist in Indianapolis, the new wardrobe I would require as my waistline explodes would be expensive.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:31 PM

1,104 posts, read 894,534 times
Quote:
Ya, I agree. The thing is, is that the close contact in Chicago is good and bad. Bad in that it just wears on me after a while and I can't imagine even raising a family the the Chicago suburbs. Just because it's so far from my family, still congested, not much bang for your buck in homes, taxes, corruption, etc. It's just that if I stay here and do find a girl, chances are she will be from the suburbs or Michigan and won't want to move to Indiana and I'll be stuck. But living here makes me realized food in Indy sucks and I would miss so much of it here.
You sound so much like me in my late 20s, beginning of my 30s. Here's the thing: assuming you meet that girl in Chicago, fall in love, and make babies, how much time do you realistically think you'll have to enjoy all of the things you will miss about Chicago?...assuming you both have relatively busy careers.

What I loved about the city was having a 6-12 choices of restaurants of just about any given cuisine so that I could pick one of the best 2. One of the best 2 Sushi places, Mexican places, Greek places, Turkish places etc would blow any direct comparison in Indy out of the water. You know it, I know it, and it's not meant to be a disparaging remark about Indy. It's just a numbers thing. I thought I'd miss the diversity of the bar scene, cafes, etc.

Here is what we realized: once we had a kid, we didn't have time to do that stuff anymore. Neither of us had family in Chicago. We both put in our 55-60 hours of work, fought traffic, ran our errands, picked up our kid from daycare, played with and took care of her, cleaned our place, and discovered there wasn't enough time in the day for the "gravy" that makes Chicago so fun. We still paid Chicago prices for housing, etc with none of the benefits. Chicago for us became a nice French place where we could sit down with a glass of water and only get to look at the menu 9 times out of 10. You still get to eat the good stuff and see the lakefront, but you're not going to use it as much anymore.

We moved away from Chicago when we realized all we wanted were a few good places within a short distance of our new home with good people around us. We didn't need a list of 400 good to great restaurants. Just a solid list of a dozen good ones and a couple local friendly bars/pubs. You can find that anywhere, Indy included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis