Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
That's middle of the road broad. All of the Iowa Metros (Des Moines, etc.) as well as MSP have lower unemployment rates.
More Farming.
I would just to be sure farming isn't a factor or related jobs to farming i would add 2%-5% unemployment to get a decent comparison depending on the size of the metro your looking at.
As long as theres Humans on earth there will be farming that part of the economy is recession proof. Weather is the Enemy of the farmer and lack of water NOT the economy
Better to compare a city to Indy that isn't reliant on farming jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Back to reasonableness. The condo market in downtown has come to a screeching halt. A few have survived but the market for the prices that were shown is not there right now. In fact, several condo buildings have been converted to apartments.

I agree with increasing housing density but you have to have the demand first.
There's still a demand for downtown and still condos going up like CityWay. The condos available might be a higher price point than they probably should esp. for the newer ones going down New York and Ohio on the east end. Places like Lockerbie and the Old North Side are pricing people out as well esp. Lockerbie has a lot of buildings going up in the area and some look rather interesting. St. Joseph is starting to gain ground as well so there's still demand. I think it really needs to be a balance as far as downtown between apartments and houses/condos.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM

638 posts, read 929,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
City is planning on reaching its 1980 downtown census of 40k by 2020 (took a huge tumble in the 80's/90's to just over 10k). It's just over halfway there hovering around 24k residents living downtown which is more residents than its peer cities (CBus, Cincy, KC, CLE). The city isn't really big on large high rises. Austin isn't Indianapolis, where the people here take into account the effect of monument circle and making sure it stays prominent. Austin doesn't have that issue because they don't have anything as critical to them as the circle is to Indianapolis (Indiana Constitution Article 15 Section 9). There were plans for a plan along North Meridian and Pennsylvania between 7-30 stories. I would prefer the 7-10 story range myself as 30 stories would take away from the circle.

I could see this being an issue if Indy were still a city of low rise buildings. In Indy's current form however, I definitely don't buy the vista of Monument circle idea as it is almost invisible currently until you get right on top of it. Additionally, I was not specifically advocating super talls for condo buildings in Indy. The 7-30 story range was what I was advocating as this form of building would create much need infill, and add more visual interest to Indy's skyline. I think the Chase Tower is perfectly sufficient for Indy's tallest, Indy just needs a bit more of the midrange condo building type to bring more dynamism.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Downtown Indy is dead? WoW Give me a break seriously such BS.
Chicago Troll i went down to Indy over the past 10 years on various days monday-sunday over the years and not once was it dead.
but then again CME group/CBOE could move to Indianapolis since Illinois failed to give them tax relief.
So don't come over here Vlago's and start this old troll war and Chicago VS Indy thing cause if your worried CME group could move to Indy you should be.
Corruption has a Price
So please save me and Domergurl/other Indiana/Indy forum people the grief and go back to Illinois/Chicago.
Dream on dude.

I was in Indy over the summer for business. Downtown was a ghost town compared to other cities I visit.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Dream on dude.

I was in Indy over the summer for business. Downtown was a ghost town compared to other cities I visit.
Compared to other cities?
Compared to Chicago? Thats not a fair comparison.
Compared to New York City? again not a fair comparison.
Compared to Charlotte? No
Cincy? no
Columbus OH?
Milwaukee
Kansas City?
No to all of those.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Compared to other cities?
Compared to Chicago? Thats not a fair comparison.
Compared to New York City? again not a fair comparison.
Compared to Charlotte? No
Cincy? no
Columbus OH?
Milwaukee
Kansas City?
No to all of those.
Compared to Chicago, NYC, Philly, DC, Milwaukee, Seattle, SF, Madison, St. Louis.

You do have the superbowl though

Old 12-01-2011, 09:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Compared to Chicago, NYC, Philly, DC, Milwaukee, Seattle, SF, Madison, St. Louis.

Comparing Indy to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Seattle, and San Fransisco is a waste of time.

Milwaukee is one of my favorite midwestern cities, one thing it does not have is a more active downtown than Indianapolis. Unless you are referring to Milwaukee's entire east side as downtown.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:

What is your obsession with berating Indy?

We get that you don't like the city, fine. Stop provoking other posters.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
I could see this being an issue if Indy were still a city of low rise buildings. In Indy's current form however, I definitely don't buy the vista of Monument circle idea as it is almost invisible currently until you get right on top of it. Additionally, I was not specifically advocating super talls for condo buildings in Indy. The 7-30 story range was what I was advocating as this form of building would create much need infill, and add more visual interest to Indy's skyline. I think the Chase Tower is perfectly sufficient for Indy's tallest, Indy just needs a bit more of the midrange condo building type to bring more dynamism.
The Meridian corridor, from about 38th Street to 12th, functions as something of an extension of downtown.

High-rise housing and office space is still being included in the long-range planning goals for that area. If the corridor was built out entirely from the Lilly Campus all the way up to 38th, there would be a 4-mile continuous central business district that would be more centrally located to the metro area as a whole (since the metro area definitely skews due northward much more than in any other direction).

Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 PM

638 posts, read 929,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The Meridian corridor, from about 38th Street to 12th, functions as something of an extension of downtown.

High-rise housing and office space is still being included in the long-range planning goals for that area. If the corridor was built out entirely from the Lilly Campus all the way up to 38th, there would be a 4-mile continuous central business district that would be more centrally located to the metro area as a whole (since the metro area definitely skews due northward much more than in any other direction).
I am aware of these plans. It is a great start. I envision more building however, and something more akin to what Austin has done. I don't think development should be as vertical as Austin's development has been, I merely advocate a greater density of buildings throughout the downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis