U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM

345 posts, read 798,308 times

Advertisements

I just saw al ist from Forbes of the best downtowns in America. Chicago andPortland were at the top (no surprise), but there were some cities (Kansas City, GreenvilleSC, Winston-Salem) that i wasn't too sure about. Being from KC, I think ours is ok, but not top 10. 1,000 times better than 15 years ago and still improving but not that great.

Indianapolis was one of those cities on that list. I've never heard of Indy being mentioned of having a great downtown. Is it that good? What does it have to offer? What companiesare there? To me a great downtown is a place with good nightlife, lots of pedestrians, quality public transportation, and lots of restaurantsand shops.

Does Indianapolis have any of these?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM

6,494 posts, read 12,009,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
I just saw al ist from Forbes of the best downtowns in America. Chicago andPortland were at the top (no surprise), but there were some cities (Kansas City, GreenvilleSC, Winston-Salem) that i wasn't too sure about. Being from KC, I think ours is ok, but not top 10. 1,000 times better than 15 years ago and still improving but not that great.

Indianapolis was one of those cities on that list. I've never heard of Indy being mentioned of having a great downtown. Is it that good? What does it have to offer? What companiesare there? To me a great downtown is a place with good nightlife, lots of pedestrians, quality public transportation, and lots of restaurantsand shops.

Not trying to sound rude, but Indy's downtown resurgence has been touted for years now. I briefly glossed over the Forbes list and the criteria mentioned (which focused mostly on "livability"). Interesting that it seemed to include the Country Club Plaza as part of KC's downtown (for the record, I resided in the KC area for a couple of years in the early 90s). In Indy's case, it included the Indianapolis Museum of Art, which is probably about as far away from downtown as the Nelson-Atkins Museum is to downtown KC.

Anyway, Indy's downtown resurgence was based, I'd say, on being a host for large events, particularly sporting events and large conventions. But gentrification of adjacent older neighborhoods and new construction have made Indy's downtown, IMO, a great place to live as well. More residential conveniences are needed, but there is a major grocery store downtown, a mixure of independent and chain restaurants, beautiful public spaces (including the Canal Walk), museums, cultural venues, the zoo, a major shopping mall, the city's major sports venues and a major public university (IUPUI). Many of the major hotels, the convention center, Circle Centre Mall and Lucas Oil Stadium are all connected by a system of elevated and non-elevated covered walkways. So, in Indy you can live downtown and walk to a Colts or Pacers game, the zoo, the Eiteljorg Museum (or the Indiana State Museum or NCAA Hall of Champions) and go grocery shopping. In KC, of course, you practically have to drive to Raytown to catch the Royals or Chiefs, and the zoo is in Swope Park.

Good to see that KC's downtown is improving as well. I enjoyed my time living there. You have a good town.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 PM

3,894 posts, read 5,233,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Not trying to sound rude, but Indy's downtown resurgence has been touted for years now. I briefly glossed over the Forbes list and the criteria mentioned (which focused mostly on "livability"). Interesting that it seemed to include the Country Club Plaza as part of KC's downtown (for the record, I resided in the KC area for a couple of years in the early 90s). In Indy's case, it included the Indianapolis Museum of Art, which is probably about as far away from downtown as the Nelson-Atkins Museum is to downtown KC.

Anyway, Indy's downtown resurgence was based, I'd say, on being a host for large events, particularly sporting events and large conventions. But gentrification of adjacent older neighborhoods and new construction have made Indy's downtown, IMO, a great place to live as well. More residential conveniences are needed, but there is a major grocery store downtown, a mixure of independent and chain restaurants, beautiful public spaces (including the Canal Walk), museums, cultural venues, the zoo, a major shopping mall, the city's major sports venues and a major public university (IUPUI). Many of the major hotels, the convention center, Circle Centre Mall and Lucas Oil Stadium are all connected by a system of elevated and non-elevated covered walkways. So, in Indy you can live downtown and walk to a Colts or Pacers game, the zoo, the Eiteljorg Museum (or the Indiana State Museum or NCAA Hall of Champions) and go grocery shopping. In KC, of course, you practically have to drive to Raytown to catch the Royals or Chiefs, and the zoo is in Swope Park.

Good to see that KC's downtown is improving as well. I enjoyed my time living there. You have a good town.

Agreed.
Also the new JW Marriott is a beauty to see 1000 room 34 story hotel connected to all the stuff Grmaster mentioned

Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,916,446 times
Quote:

Numerous cities have made official visits to see what Indy has done downtown from Sacramento to Jax and how to actually pull it off with a mixture of public/private partnerships the city has done over the past 30 years. The next step the city is taking is an abundance of housing ventures from condos to apartments with several currently in development as we type in and around the heart of downtown.

As grm stated, there is a grocery store dt, technically 2 if you count 16 & central which technically falls within dt boundaries with a 16th st address. Add to that a 30k student campus and 5 hospitals (2 of them teaching) and you get a lot of vibrancy and activity. Only thing really missing was/is housing downtown and still too many surface lots.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 172,962 times
Indianapolis is downtown KC, Westport and The Plaza all in one, only better.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybail View Post
Whoa now, c'mon man!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Whoa now, c'mon man!
\

don't c'mon me cause its true

Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
\

don't c'mon me cause its true
I love our downtown, but I don't know that it's THAT good.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM

345 posts, read 798,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybail View Post
That is a pretty bold statement. The Plaza is one of the most unique areas in the whole country. Westport is also very special. And I doubt you would find a world-class art museum, world-class performing arts center, two bar/party districts, and crown center-like area all in Downtown Indianapolis.

Maybe not anywhere in Indy. Not even in Minneapolis or Denver.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
That is a pretty bold statement. The Plaza is one of the most unique areas in the whole country. Westport is also very special. And I doubt you would find a world-class art museum, world-class performing arts center, two bar/party districts, and crown center-like area all in Downtown Indianapolis.

Maybe not anywhere in Indy. Not even in Minneapolis or Denver.
Actually you would be surprised. Best if you came and visit our city to see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis