Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
lol so were going to do an Indiana VS Ohio thing?
Just keep in Mind since Indianapolis is the fastest growing metro area in the midwest and one of the top 10 in the country soon Indy will be larger than Cincy/Cleveland/Columbus's metro
Already bigger city wise than those 3 ohio cities.
I'm not doing an Indiana vs Ohio thing, but seems like you are insinuating starting one. And check your stats again, I have seen you post before, Indianapolis is not one of the fastest growing areas in the country. And Columbus has a faster growing city population, so your logic is slightly flawed.

Check out Indy's land area. It's much larger than Columbus, Cincy, and Cleveland. When Indy gets the density of Cincinnati and Cleveland, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
It all depends on where you took her. Did you just drive around and look at housing stock? IMA, Childrens Museum, Fashion Mall, Downtown, Holcomb Gardens, anything? As far as foot traffic downtown, Indianapolis has a lot of that even on weekdays after work whereas a lot of your midwest brethren can say.
We went all around the downtown area and throughout some of the surrounding neighborhoods.

I would have responded sooner, but just like downtown Indy, we have a lot of pedestrian traffic in downtown Cleveland after office hours as well, and had a good time yesterday in the Warehouse District. But I will agree, a lot of downtowns across not only the Midwest, but the nation lack the after hours activity. Yesterday East Fourth, the Gateway District, Warehouse District, and Playhouse Square were all very lively.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
First were 34th/33rd depending on if you count a portion of a certain metro area etc.
2nd we gained 200,000 people in the past 10 years and gained 15% population.
Cleveland lost 150,000 metro and is one of the fastest declining cities in America along with New Orleans and Detroit.
So again why are you trolling?
How are they trolling? Just because someone calls you out on your flawed stats doesn't mean they are trolling. And the Cleveland/Akron area which is still smaller than the Indy metro in area is close to 2.9 million.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
How are they trolling? Just because someone calls you out on your flawed stats doesn't mean they are trolling. And the Cleveland/Akron area which is still smaller than the Indy metro in area is close to 2.9 million.
reading REMS past post will fill you in on that

Old 11-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
LOL, being told to grow up by self-loathing young Hoosier who's so bitter he grew up in an armpit town in Indiana that he somehow he thinks he can run next door to another Midwestern state and think he's found something 180-degrees different. But since you asked, how does any city promote itself? Should we take out an ad in the NY Times? Post billboards in Shaker Heights? How about a late-night infomercial?

Oh, yeah, that convention-oriented downtown you noted in another thread -- Don't you think that helps get the message out about Indy? Don't you think we're going to get plenty of exposure hosting one of the world's most significant single-day sporting events? How does anyone around the country know about the great things happening in the three Cs or Toledo? Not everyone reads the boosterism on C-D.

Or maybe we're just trying to keep things on the DL so our "plain-ness" isn't exposed.

I think you actually have to be ranked to be overrated. And for whatever reason, Ohio State always plays like crap at Ross-Ade. Buckeyes fans know this is a down season, but it's a proud program that will be back. What's IU's excuse for decades of sucktitude in football (sans those few years with Mallory in the late 80s-early 90s)? The Loosiers can't even beat North Texas -- a bad Sun Belt team.
LOL and you think you know me, right? Did you take your meds today, you sound out of it.

I am not ashamed of where I am from, and have stuck up for Indiana in the city vs city section before. Go ahead and bash Anderson all you want, like you think that affects me in anyway? The one decent thing that I was proud of from my homestate is Indianapolis, that's why I created the thread. Did I asked about the dead town of Anderson? No, I didn't.

Downtown Indianapolis is chainy. I think it has the potential to be a place also for the residents. Make it original. I don't want to see the same things in downtown Indy that I am seeing out in Carmel. I want downtown Indy to be known for other things over a few conventions that come to town each year, and having the Superbowl is amazing in my opinion. I have no doubt what downtown Indy can accomplish, and I even made mention in my first thread that all this doom and gloom of Nordtrom leaving isn't going to be the end all be all for the city. Downtown Indianapolis can be one of the best success stories in the country if it looks beyond the box or the chain store.

If everyone read what they did on CD and believe it to be true, I feel really bad for them.

Go ahead and make fun of the Hoosiers all you want, at least when they lose their fans don't go crazy and cause riots in town and force Kirk to up and leave because they are that big of idiots. O$U spends their money to flaunt what they have to the nation. O$U has a great campus in a great section of Columbus, but when I walk that campus all I see is big money projects that O$U spends to make it known what they have to offer. Be a true great college town like Bloomington and Madison. They are overrated, and they whine and complain when people say anything against their precious Buckeyes. Case in point. Maybe they can add a new billion dollar section to the Horseshoe and attract some new talent.

I do not even know you, but somehow you have a problem with me and even know I am from Anderson... that's weird. Don't take your anger out on me for whatever reason it is you do so. I asked a simple question and noted a few things, and you acted like I killed your dog. If you're going to act like that, why don't you scoot along and go find another thread to trash.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
reading REMS past post will fill you in on that
Guess I'll have to do that...

Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
LOL and you think you know me, right? Did you take your meds today, you sound out of it.

I am not ashamed of where I am from, and have stuck up for Indiana in the city vs city section before. Go ahead and bash Anderson all you want, like you think that affects me in anyway? The one decent thing that I was proud of from my homestate is Indianapolis, that's why I created the thread. Did I asked about the dead town of Anderson? No, I didn't.

Downtown Indianapolis is chainy. I think it has the potential to be a place also for the residents. Make it original. I don't want to see the same things in downtown Indy that I am seeing out in Carmel. I want downtown Indy to be known for other things over a few conventions that come to town each year, and having the Superbowl is amazing in my opinion. I have no doubt what downtown Indy can accomplish, and I even made mention in my first thread that all this doom and gloom of Nordtrom leaving isn't going to be the end all be all for the city. Downtown Indianapolis can be one of the best success stories in the country if it looks beyond the box or the chain store.

If everyone read what they did on CD and believe it to be true, I feel really bad for them.

Go ahead and make fun of the Hoosiers all you want, at least when they lose their fans don't go crazy and cause riots in town and force Kirk to up and leave because they are that big of idiots. O$U spends their money to flaunt what they have to the nation. O$U has a great campus in a great section of Columbus, but when I walk that campus all I see is big money projects that O$U spends to make it known what they have to offer. Be a true great college town like Bloomington and Madison. They are overrated, and they whine and complain when people say anything against their precious Buckeyes. Case in point. Maybe they can add a new billion dollar section to the Horseshoe and attract some new talent.

I do not even know you, but somehow you have a problem with me and even know I am from Anderson... that's weird. Don't take your anger out on me for whatever reason it is you do so. I asked a simple question and noted a few things, and you acted like I killed your dog. If you're going to act like that, why don't you scoot along and go find another thread to trash.
Indy has no more chains than any other major city. They tend to be more prominent because it is all wholesale district. With over 200 restaurants downtown alone, suffice it to say the majority of them are not chain restaurants. The big difference between say Indy and CBus or Indy and Cincy is that Indianapolis just has more restaurants.

There are currently 24k people living within the CBD boundaries with about 3k more units being built currently and more on the way, two grocery stores, hardware/drug etc. It's not at its 1980 census of 40k but the city is focusing building the population back up as well as Holy Cross just to the east, midtown and the areas just south of downtown including Fountain Square. The only thing not planned is haughville and the city has no plans to do anything about the near west side. Lockerbie is almost completely built out, add St. Joseph, Fletcher Place, Ransom, Cottage, Old Northside and you can see the city making genuine progress. Holy Cross is still making a comeback, to see, you would literally have be south of New York but North of Washington and their are some fixups between Highland and Oriental between New York and Michigan.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indy has no more chains than any other major city. They tend to be more prominent because it is all wholesale district. With over 200 restaurants downtown alone, suffice it to say the majority of them are not chain restaurants. The big difference between say Indy and CBus or Indy and Cincy is that Indianapolis just has more restaurants.

There are currently 24k people living within the CBD boundaries with about 3k more units being built currently and more on the way, two grocery stores, hardware/drug etc. It's not at its 1980 census of 40k but the city is focusing building the population back up as well as Holy Cross just to the east, midtown and the areas just south of downtown including Fountain Square. The only thing not planned is haughville and the city has no plans to do anything about the near west side. Lockerbie is almost completely built out, add St. Joseph, Fletcher Place, Ransom, Cottage, Old Northside and you can see the city making genuine progress. Holy Cross is still making a comeback, to see, you would literally have be south of New York but North of Washington and their are some fixups between Highland and Oriental between New York and Michigan.
Quote:
I don't want to see the same things in downtown Indy that I am seeing out in Carmel.
msamhunter addressed your charges of the "chainy" downtown. But what's wrong with what Carmel is doing with Old Town and the new City Center. They're developing density, and independent and local chain restaurants are opening. What is wrong with that? Perhaps you need to do some of your own research.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
OP,
Your question about the relative lack of other entertainment hubs is valid to me. Indy does most things as well if not better than other MW cities of its size. The one thing it doesn't do as well is the multiple distinct walkable neighborhood w/ street life thing. Building density is lower once you get out of downtown for one thing, which means that there are fewer commercial/retail hubs outside of DT that are truly walkable. It's also a younger city without as much older brick housing stock that rehabbers generally prefer. Meridian-Kessler, Near Northside, Irvington, Fountain Square, and more off the map areas like those around Garfield Park are beautiful areas, but even these parts of the city take on more of a bedroom community feel.

Broad Ripple is a major exception to the retail rule, and it's pretty obvious that where the critical storefront mass exists you will find hubs of activity in Indy. You generally need about 3+ blocks of continuous storefront space directly on the sidewalk to get a buzzing neighborhood. Other MW cities had these areas in abundance that they redeveloped. Indy never really had a lot of them around to redevelop in the first place.

Chain restaurants go hand in hand with this. If you're walking on a pedestrian friendly street like Mass Ave, S. Meridian, or in Broad Ripple, the local guys have the advantage because pedestrians have time to peek inside to make up their mind. If you're going down a road at 40 mph with a bunch of standalone restaurants surrounded by parking, then people tend to go with the big chain sign they know...unless they already know that a great mom & pop place happens to be located in a strip mall.

Just about everything else about the city is first rate for a metro of 1-3 million though.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
While Irvington, North Meridian, M-K and Cumberland are residential communities, Fountain Square actually wasn't for the most part with the main drag being Shelby street. It just fell into disarray over the past a few decades and now making a comeback. Granted it's all torn up now due to the Cultural Trail but it was part of the street car system of the old days (hence why it's still tore up they have to move the tracks).
Speaking of other areas of the city, one of the big drawbacks was UniGov. It consolidated government but it also allowed people to spread out. Nothing wrong with that as people here tend to like having a little space and vs. having 9k people right on top of them. The city really has that opportunity to change that with things already pretty much in place. 38th Street between College and MLK/Michigan Rd is prime real estate with the Mansions of North Meridian right there, Butler (10 minute walk if that from Hampton to 38th St) and IMA. It gets a bad rap though. Thompson Rd on the South side with the IMAX close by, Tibbs on the West side with the city's only remaining Drive-In.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis