U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 750 times
Talking Possible move next year.. From Dayton to Eagle Creek..?

Hello,
I am a single mom currently going through nursing school & hoping to get a job around Eagle Creek/Avon/Indy area but prefer to live in Eagle Creek, I think. Since it is still almost a 1 1/2 years away I haven't came to look around just yet. But I look online every night at different areas and homes jobs & whatnot. I have two young children which one would start Kindergarten at the time of the move while the other would be going to preschool. I have looked online at homes around Eagle Creek & I just love it, It looks like such a nice area & looking to rent for now. I have read alot of reviews from the area and they all seem fairly good. What I am looking for on here is someone to really tell me what the area is like! Safety, Schools, LPN jobs, hospitals & anything else ya wanna throw in

Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 AM

219 posts, read 179,837 times
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Eagle Creek is an attractive area, and I moved there not so long ago because of the natural setting close by. You'll most likely be in Pike Township Schools, which have a mixed track record. I did my research and still think they're good enough for children, but you'll probably hear lots of horror stories from other people. Pike Township Schools cover NW Indianapolis on both the inside and the outside of I-465 loop, and the inside neighborhoods are nowhere near as affluent as the ones on the outside. Granted, there are some nice hoods in the inner part of Pike, but also some down-and-out ones, and a fair number of pretty rough apartment complexes. The infrastructure is in place for a good school system; the facilities and programs at Pike are great, but the scores aren't as good as the suburbs immediately to the west and north. I saw the opportunities through the programs as a good enough compensation for the fact that test scores are only so-so. After all, just because the average isn't as great as Carmel or Zionsville schools doesn't mean my own children won't excel! But that's just my two cents. Pike Township is one of, if not the, most diverse areas of Indianapolis. That was a plus for me--clearly it isn't for everybody.

You'll be fairly close to St. Vincent Hospital, one of the biggest in the region, but I'm probably not the best to talk about LPN jobs. Safety in the Eagle Creek area is fine, probably even good. The big thing holding it up is schools, but I'd say to do your research before you dismiss them--Pike has a proactive community that is committed to adapting to the fact that so many languages are spoken there, and it covers such a wide range of incomes. You'll be close to shopping without the traffic congestion of Wayne or Washington Townships (west and north respectively), and the natural scenery and bike/walking trails around Eagle Creek are a huge plus!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicole018 View Post
Hello,
I am a single mom currently going through nursing school & hoping to get a job around Eagle Creek/Avon/Indy area but prefer to live in Eagle Creek, I think. Since it is still almost a 1 1/2 years away I haven't came to look around just yet. But I look online every night at different areas and homes jobs & whatnot. I have two young children which one would start Kindergarten at the time of the move while the other would be going to preschool. I have looked online at homes around Eagle Creek & I just love it, It looks like such a nice area & looking to rent for now. I have read alot of reviews from the area and they all seem fairly good. What I am looking for on here is someone to really tell me what the area is like! Safety, Schools, LPN jobs, hospitals & anything else ya wanna throw in

Thank You!
All Good.
Your basically picking some of the best places to live in the US.
Bad neighborhoods are mostly within Center Township in Indy however you have to be careful classifying it as bad as Indy right now is revitalizing many neighborhoods.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 AM

2,764 posts, read 5,666,961 times
As a single mother with two children, I would be looking closer to work. Find the job and then check for a good school district. If your new job is Community on the East side there would be a much longer commute than St. Vincents on 86th, etc.

There are a lot of good areas in Indy all around it. But you cannot beat being close to the kids in case of emergency. A lot of life is spent in unnecessary commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis