Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Democrats have run Detroit/Chicago for the past 85 years. So no wonder there in trouble.
I know by heart Indianapolis is better and smarter than that hence why i hope Greg Ballard will win.
I don't live in Indy and I'm not a "Republican", not by a long shot. I'm a left-leaning, vegetarian, green, ex-Volvo owner, who supports WFIU and (hate me now) Planned Parenthood.

BUT, I share in your support of Ballard. I think he has done some pretty amazing things for the city during his tenure. Mostly, I support his bike-friendly stance and his resolve to attract new technology and clean/green jobs to the city and the region. Republicans may hate this assessment, but the man is progressive and visionary. I mean the fact that alternative forms of transportation (bikes, trains, mass transit...) are even considered for discussion in IN is amazing to me. And yes, I know it's not "just" Ballard, but one needs supportive leadership to even get those ideas on the table.

One thing I am learning about local Indiana politics: labels and party-affiliation mean virtually nothing. It takes a lot of work to be a vigilant and informed voter in this state!

I found myself, in our own small town election, voting for the people, at the end of the day, who were best equipped to do the job, regardless of party. Those who had the best skills and experience and education. And yes, the best vision for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I don't live in Indy and I'm not a "Republican", not by a long shot. I'm a left-leaning, vegetarian, green, ex-Volvo owner, who supports WFIU and (hate me now) Planned Parenthood.

BUT, I share in your support of Ballard. I think he has done some pretty amazing things for the city during his tenure. Mostly, I support his bike-friendly stance and his resolve to attract new technology and clean/green jobs to the city and the region. Republicans may hate this assessment, but the man is progressive and visionary. I mean the fact that alternative forms of transportation (bikes, trains, mass transit...) are even considered for discussion in IN is amazing to me. And yes, I know it's not "just" Ballard, but one needs supportive leadership to even get those ideas on the table.

One thing I am learning about local Indiana politics: labels and party-affiliation mean virtually nothing. It takes a lot of work to be a vigilant and informed voter in this state!

I found myself, in our own small town election, voting for the people, at the end of the day, who were best equipped to do the job, regardless of party. Those who had the best skills and experience and education. And yes, the best vision for the future.
thats true Indiana isn't as much of a battleground at the local and state level. However in 2012 since we went blue in 2008 which i actually liked cause now the Republicans will pay attention to us now. 2012 Indiana is a battlestate and as the GOP leader for the country already said all roads to Washington run through Indiana.

Also i agree i am more of a Conservative-Independent however the level of trash talking and crap that has come out of the Democrats mouth is making me not want to vote for any of them. I am going to be a first time voter and i have to say when i hear all these racist cards being pulled by the democrats including Melinda Kennedy that just tells me that kind of childish crap isn't for me or this country.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Greg Ballard is almost certain to win now. God Bless Indy and great job Mayor Greg Ballard you served our country and our city!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
thats true Indiana isn't as much of a battleground at the local and state level. However in 2012 since we went blue in 2008 which i actually liked cause now the Republicans will pay attention to us now. 2012 Indiana is a battlestate and as the GOP leader for the country already said all roads to Washington run through Indiana.

Also i agree i am more of a Conservative-Independent however the level of trash talking and crap that has come out of the Democrats mouth is making me not want to vote for any of them. I am going to be a first time voter and i have to say when i hear all these racist cards being pulled by the democrats including Melinda Kennedy that just tells me that kind of childish crap isn't for me or this country.
How are you even slightly independent? All you do is talk trash about democrats 24/7.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I think he has done some pretty amazing things for the city during his tenure. Mostly, I support his bike-friendly stance and his resolve to attract new technology and clean/green jobs to the city and the region. Republicans may hate this assessment, but the man is progressive and visionary. I mean the fact that alternative forms of transportation (bikes, trains, mass transit...) are even considered for discussion in IN is amazing to me.
I attribute his "progressiveness" to the fact that, as a Marine, he spent time overseas, where he (gasp) saw that we Americans could learn a few things from other countries.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Democrats have run Detroit/Chicago for the past 85 years. So no wonder there in trouble.
Your constant comparison of Detroit and Chicago is really old and uninformed.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
WTHR declaring Ballard the winner. Congratulations to Mayor Ballard. With that being said, it will be a Democratic City-County Council so this will be a very difficult term for him as they will try to block any and everything just because he's a republican. Yes, if it were reverse like on our national level it would still be the same. I just wish people would actually do what's best for the city irregardless of party.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
WTHR declaring Ballard the winner. Congratulations to Mayor Ballard. With that being said, it will be a Democratic City-County Council so this will be a very difficult term for him as they will try to block any and everything just because he's a republican. Yes, if it were reverse like on our national level it would still be the same. I just wish people would actually do what's best for the city irregardless of party.
I agree completely about them needing to do what's best. I'm not too upset that Kennedy lost because Ballard is okay. I'm mostly just thrilled for my hometown Fort Wayne that they didn't elect that stupid Republican Paula Hughes.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I think Ballard is flexible enough that some things will get done. At least I hope that's the case. Of course, that's a two-way street.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think Ballard is flexible enough that some things will get done. At least I hope that's the case. Of course, that's a two-way street.

Well Regardless great night to everyone and gratz to Mayor Ballard.
time to get some rest this was an intense night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis