Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,631 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I have been lurking on this forum for about a month and checking out some of the older threads, and I decided that I would finally post my own topic. My wife and I are in the process of relocating from the middle of Michigan, where we own a small home. We are moving to the Indianapolis area so that I can be closer to my children, who live with their mother in Anderson. I am 32 years old and my wife is 24, and we have two dogs and three cats... None of which we wish to part with. I am currently staying at an extended stay hotel on the east side of Indianapolis, and I have just started a job in Carmel. This job may be transferring to the east side of Indianapolis in the new year.
The next step in our move is finding a place to rent. The pets present quite a difficulty, and the fact is that we have been struggling financially for quite some time in Michigan. After nine days in town, I have managed to secure a full-time job that will pay more money than I've ever made. I'm confident in my wife's ability to do the same but I'm also aware that the cost of living will be a bit higher than we are used to. We would like to keep our rent as low as possible, but I am confused by many of the conflicting opinions on the different neighborhoods in the city. I am having a hard time figuring out what areas have undeservedly bad reputations. Being from Michigan, we are from the middle of nowhere but when I think of bad areas... I think of the streets of burnt out homes in Detroit. I haven't seen anything like that in Indianapolis, but I must admit that I'm a little bit out of my element. Two of the neighborhoods that didn't look too pricy and seemed like an okay place for us were Fletcher Place and Fountain Square.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelgudmir View Post
Hi there. I have been lurking on this forum for about a month and checking out some of the older threads, and I decided that I would finally post my own topic. My wife and I are in the process of relocating from the middle of Michigan, where we own a small home. We are moving to the Indianapolis area so that I can be closer to my children, who live with their mother in Anderson. I am 32 years old and my wife is 24, and we have two dogs and three cats... None of which we wish to part with. I am currently staying at an extended stay hotel on the east side of Indianapolis, and I have just started a job in Carmel. This job may be transferring to the east side of Indianapolis in the new year.
The next step in our move is finding a place to rent. The pets present quite a difficulty, and the fact is that we have been struggling financially for quite some time in Michigan. After nine days in town, I have managed to secure a full-time job that will pay more money than I've ever made. I'm confident in my wife's ability to do the same but I'm also aware that the cost of living will be a bit higher than we are used to. We would like to keep our rent as low as possible, but I am confused by many of the conflicting opinions on the different neighborhoods in the city. I am having a hard time figuring out what areas have undeservedly bad reputations. Being from Michigan, we are from the middle of nowhere but when I think of bad areas... I think of the streets of burnt out homes in Detroit. I haven't seen anything like that in Indianapolis, but I must admit that I'm a little bit out of my element. Two of the neighborhoods that didn't look too pricy and seemed like an okay place for us were Fletcher Place and Fountain Square.

Thanks.

The Fountain Square Neighborhood in the 70s resembles an abandoned Detroit.
However today the neighborhood has gone through an Urban Transformation and is a very nice neighborhood now through revitlization.
Just goes to show Indy is ontop of our game on fighting Urban blight.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times
Your children are in Anderson, your job is in carmel, the last two places I would be looking is Fountain Square and Fletcher Place. You might try Lawrence, either the city or out in the township to get some decent housing prices.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Your children are in Anderson, your job is in carmel, the last two places I would be looking is Fountain Square and Fletcher Place. You might try Lawrence, either the city or out in the township to get some decent housing prices.
i 2nd this. Living in Lawrence/Fishers/Carmel/Noblesville might be right for you.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Default Lawrence...

I think that the Lawrence area would be the most likely of those suggestions, just in terms of the money situation. Honestly, I'm a little worried that even that area will be a little rich for our budget... Which is why I was looking for neighborhoods that have undeservedly bad reputations and low rent levels. I will definitely look more into the Lawrence area at this time. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd definitely appreciate them.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 PM

423 posts, read 1,242,505 times
Fountain Square and Fletcher Place are fine if you're seeking good, trendy, walkable urban neighborhoods. But they are gentrifying and rent is very likely to raise more quickly from year to year than the average for the city as a whole. But there are some great restored homes over there, if that's your type of thing. Crime is probably a bit above average but is much better than it was in the past and is getting safer everyday--such is the inevitable characteristic of gentrification.

I agree with others that Lawrence wouldn't be bad for a safe area with reasonable housing costs. Stay on the north side of Pendleton Pike, because south of Pendleton is not so great, but most of that is not Lawrence (back in Indianapolis limits). The north side of Fall Creek/Fort Benjamin Harrison is pretty upscale, especially as you venture into the Geist community, and there probably aren't a lot of rental property options anyway.

The Fort Ben neighborhood itself (partially in Lawrence) might be a very good option, though it's a little trendy so it could be pricier than other similar areas. Fishers might also have some good options that are still affordable, though the high quality of the school systems probably elevates the price. McCordsville and Fortville are less established suburbs and are probably cheaper. In general, the northeast side of Indy--north of Pendleton Pike--is probably your best bet.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Default Update...

I know that is has been some time, but I wanted to thank everyone for the responses to this thread. As predicted, my job is moving from Carmel to 30th and Shadeland this week. I'm currently living in an east side extended stay hotel at 25th and Post, but I will be looking at houses for rent very soon. I have spent some time looking around and trying to get a feel for the areas that we have discussed and from what I can see... The Lawrence area would be a great fit and is the first choice, depending on what's available. Truth be told, I think it's more likely that we end up just south of Pendleton Pike in that general area. I have seen nothing that has scared me about the area and the rent certainly is low enough. We shall see. Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM

3,392 posts, read 3,427,292 times
I moved here from michigan a year a half ago. I grew up in metro detroit (oak park and southfield) and for last 10 yrs up near flint( grand blanc). Nothing in the indy area is as bad as some of the areas i lived near in michigan. If you can handle driving thru detroit you will be more than fine here. Welcome its nice to have more tigers, lions are wings fans join the indy family.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,449 times
Arrow nice place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelgudmir View Post

Thanks.
I moved to Indiana from Michigan about a year ago........Love Avon area

Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenjmarie View Post

I moved to Indiana from Michigan about a year ago........Love Avon area
I think we should rename our state Michiganana lol
Welcome to Indiana
Have to say were being invaded by Michigan in a good way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis