Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapolice2009 View Post
2. Move to Chicago, my dream city. (I like it more than NYC, and I've been to almost every east coast city) live in an apartment/2-flat/3-flat in a vibrant neighborhood such as Logan Square/Bucktown/Wicker Park, because I can't afford to buy a house there. (likely miss out on the best time to buy real estate) I feel like I'd never get bored there and I'd be like a tourist in my own city. Have so many opportunities to meet people. My living quarters would change drastically from what I'm used to here, and I'd have to downsize/put a few things in storage. Also I have a dog so that might be a little more difficult there.
The feeling that you are a tourist in your own city is one that will fade over time. If I were you, I would go. Please, do not stay here and regret not taking a shot at your dream. You can always come back (or go somewhere else) if things do not work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Uhh, what makes you think I'm from Indianapolis? I'm not. I'm more than very familiar with both locales. You should stick to something you know, which definitely isn't the Midwest. You make crazy assertions with nothing of substance to back them up. You try to make up these insane definitions and try to pigeonhole every place that "you" don't like into them even when person after person has ripped your posts to shreds with sound logic and data.
I've lived in a Narnian city before, I know how it goes. Even reading this thread, Indianpolis is the same as Chicago, lol.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
OP, I would move to Chicago and at least have that experience. The beauty of it is that since you would most likely be renting, if you leave, you would not have to worry about selling property. Now, getting a new job, changing schools, etc. is a different story. But I can only imagine that IF you were to get tired of the city, it wouldn't be until well after you have graduated.

At the end of the day, you can do what you want.

My suggestion would be to try Chicago out and if you don't like it, move back. It is better to do that than to lose out on this opportunity and never forgive yourself for it. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times
I agree with those telling you to go for it. I left Indy after HS for school. When I graduated, I settled in Chicago for over 12 years before heading to less expensive pastures when I was married with a kid. I still love Chicago, but with family and work obligations, I didn't have the time to enjoy the city amenities I was paying for in terms of cost of living...at least enough to enjoy those expenses. I lived in Wicker Park actually.

I've done both. Don't let anyone try to tell you that Indy has the same offerings that Chicago does. You and I both know it's not true. If you dig, you can find things in Indy like the open galleries at the Murphy Building, etc. You can find a few of those on any given night in Chicago. Concerts are at a whole different level there. I miss knowing that there are 50 Mexican/Chinese/Vietnamese/Polish/Greek/Indian places in a given area, and knowing the best 2 or 3 of what I wanted that night. The best Indy has to offer (like Santorini's for Greek or a couple of the Indian joints on Lafayette Rd) can't touch the quality of those top 2 or 3. Acceptable to above average? Sure, but not even close. You'll be able to meet a much broader cross section of people in Chicago too (as long as you're willing to venture out of the transplant neighborhood bubble).

When you don't have too many cares, and you're a year or three into your career (when you don't have that much responsibility), Chicago can be a complete urban playground/staycation city. Take advantage of it.

If the work hours pile up and/or family obligations kick in, you'll probably be at a point when you realize that your goal of documenting every bar on the near northwest side of the city is no longer necessary. 4 decent bars to pick from on your bi-weekly monthly night out will suffice. You won't have time to explore hundreds of restaurants or to check out that show or whatever it is you want to do. 6 or 7 really good restaurants are all you'll need. One day you'll wake up after years of living in Chicago and realize you haven't been to the beach in two years. After a few years of living in Logan Square, you will undoubtedly talk about how gentrification killed the neighborhood and talk about how cool it used to be when you first moved there...like I did with Wicker Park 1998-2010...and Wicker Parkers 1989-1996 did before me. Friends you used to stay out with til 2am on a Wed. will get busy with work too and you'll both go missing for months at a time. These are signs its time to move on.

Glad I lived it. Glad I left, but I still miss it, even though it's for the best. Missing it tells me it was a great decision to go in the first place. You can (or at least should) find things to make yourself happy anywhere, but, the diversity of experiences you can get in a place like Chicago make life a little richer and more rewarding in their own way.

Oh yeah: Save the home buying for when you're sure you want to be somehwere for a LOOONG time. Don't worry about missing the housing market dip. At the rate we're going, you'll be in your 30s before we see a substantial recovery anyway.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Chicago is a city for young professionals, not college students. With the exception of Northwestern, there really isn't any college close to Chicago that will provide you with the experience you are looking for. The problem is that you are going to a commuter college. If you wanted to meet a lot of people and have fun you should have gone to IU or Purdue. You also need a lot more money to live in Chicago, which also makes it hard for a college student. Your 21 and still have your whole life to live in a city like Chicago. Just focus on college.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Oh wow ... Really???? loyola? Depaul???? u of Chicago???? loyola and depaul have neighborhood campuses and downtown campuses ... Partied with many of them during my Chicago heyday ... Especially in Lincoln park.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
I like how you inserted keywords into the title of the thread (hipsterish, single, youth life, college, dating). Google's indexing software thanks you.

Anyway, after analyzing your initial post, it seems like you already had your mind made up about moving and just wanted some reassurance. Life is short; go ahead and do it. Many young people tend to feel the way that you do at that age, but my only advice to you is to this: don't assume that you'll feel that way forever. Urban life gets old fast after you enter your thirties (I just turned 30 myself). Earlier this year, I left the suburbs of Fort Wayne to take a job in New York, and it's very difficult to actually enjoy what the city has to offer now that I'm married and have career obligations, not to mention the cost--it's ridiculously expensive to live here, even here in the outer boroughs. Obviously, New York is a whole different animal compared to Chicago--but just know what lies ahead.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh wow ... Really???? loyola? Depaul???? u of Chicago???? loyola and depaul have neighborhood campuses and downtown campuses ... Partied with many of them during my Chicago heyday ... Especially in Lincoln park.
Ya Domer but how hard are they to get into?
The Handful of people are an exception but the bigger picture stands.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I like how you inserted keywords into the title of the thread (hipsterish, single, youth life, college, dating). Google's indexing software thanks you.

Anyway, after analyzing your initial post, it seems like you already had your mind made up about moving and just wanted some reassurance. Life is short; go ahead and do it. Many young people tend to feel the way that you do at that age, but my only advice to you is to this: don't assume that you'll feel that way forever. Urban life gets old fast after you enter your thirties (I just turned 30 myself). Earlier this year, I left the suburbs of Fort Wayne to take a job in New York, and it's very difficult to actually enjoy what the city has to offer now that I'm married and have career obligations, not to mention the cost--it's ridiculously expensive to live here, even here in the outer boroughs. Obviously, New York is a whole different animal compared to Chicago--but just know what lies ahead.
Are you thinking about coming back?
If so theres another example of the Boomerang effect

Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Depaul is mostly kids from the chicago burbs and doesn't have a huge college social life. It's probably simmar to J
Iupui. You have to be a genius to get into u of c, and they are both extremely expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis