Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM

72 posts, read 156,501 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Hoosiers...My husband and I are sick of the DC metro area and are returning to Indianapolis metro area after an 8 year leave. I have been back several times over the years and am very impressed with the changes the city has made to itself. Quick question...what area do you think my husband and I would fit in with the neighborhood? We are not into the "gay scene", just two home bodies, who would like to have friendly neighbors. We are interested in several areas such as...
1. Broad Ripple/Meridian (we love older homes with character)
2. Irvington
3. Carmel/Zionsville
4. Plainfield/Avon
We want a safe neighborhood with friendly neighbors and not feel like outsiders in our own home. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 AM

135 posts, read 179,578 times
Mike, Broad Ripple/North Meridian are great areas. There is definitely no shortage of gorgeous, older homes with character. Irvington fits this bill as well, and from what I have seen, is considerably cheaper. I would also suggest looking into the Fall Creek Place and Old Northside neighborhoods, which also offer a considerable amount of older, refurbished housing. These neighborhoods also put you closer to downtown/Mass Ave. If you decide the suburban lifestyle is right for you and your husband, Zionsville would be my personal preference...cute, quaint, small town feel as well as easy access to I65, which is generally a quicker commute into the city than other Northside suburbs. Then again, if you guys are coming from the D.C. metro, Anderson to downtown would probably seem like a quick commute given the traffic conditions you are used to, so that may not be as much of a factor for you. Concerning your neighbors, your guess is as good as mine, and I suppose no matter what it is always a gamble of sorts. The closer you get to downtown, and Broad Ripple as well, you are going to have a higher concentration of younger professionals and students, which is probably a more accepting crowd than say, what you would find in....Beech Grove for instance (nothing against Beech Grove, i'm sure it is lovely). However, Indy is a pretty friendly city, not to mention safe, and I would think you and your husband would do just fine in most parts of town, and all those you have mentioned above. Personally, my wife and I just moved to the Mass Ave area and absolutely love the diversity of the neighborhood. People of all walks of life, and generally very, very friendly people too. Best of luck with your transition back into the Hoosier swing of things!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,427,104 times
I ditto Jarcolem's comments. When we moved downtown 12 years ago, we met a bunch of same sex couples and they were welcoming to us and really involved in the neighborhood. There is a diverse housing stock, lots to do, amazing amount of new apartments being built (which helps bring new people in), everything you could need.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,590,510 times
I'd say all of those areas would be accepting other than maybe Plainfield/Avon. If you were wanting to live in the suburbs, I would recommend the Carmel Arts and Design District or downtown Zionsville. As far as living in the city, I would say to look at neighborhoods like St. Joseph Place and Mass Ave downtown, or, as you already mentioned, Broad Ripple and Irvington.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
REM

368 posts, read 991,826 times
Old Northside and woodruff are great for the "gay friendly " atmospher.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM

8,943 posts, read 17,178,705 times
There are quite a few gay couples on the near east side. One of my good friends used to live in a house he rehabbed near 12th and Temple. The only only reason they moved was because his husband got a job in North Carolina.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,484,152 times
Jarcolems comments are spot on about Indianapolis's Same Sex Couple areas.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-18-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM

72 posts, read 156,501 times
Awesome review! Thank you for the Hoosier hospitality that I miss

Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,484,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebchipper View Post
Awesome review! Thank you for the Hoosier hospitality that I miss
And that what makes Indiana awsome

Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,723,552 times
I can't think of any area of Indy that would be unfriendly, even the suburbs. I think that ALL of the areas that you mentioned would be fine. Drive around and check things out. Take a look at the real estate listings and find something you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis