Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Wow... so many Debbie Downers!!! If you don't like it... don't watch it... don't post about it on here... or just move people... So freaking negative... Glass is half empty but guess what...It's also half full! All I gotta say to all of you Debbie Downers who keep posting negative crap on here without the ability to do a damn thing about is: Wa Wa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
THANK YOU! that is EXACTLY what i would say.

Babies on the world.............
Always have to have naysayers and negativitiy

Also Greg.
Msam has said this and ill just say what he has said before.
Indianapolis is only the 12th largest city in America due to BOUNDRIES.
Nothing more.
The Metro area is the 23rd largest in the US cause i look at the CSA from the census cause awkwardly they don't include Anderson in the MSA yet i can bet you Anderson has people commuting to Indy or the Northern Suburbs.
Indianapolis is the 12th largest city yes and i love that title but be realistic our metro is still much smaller but thats changing.
After the Super Bowl and if we become a regular Super Bowl City then expect our population to explode even faster than before.

Also Thanks Domergurl! Great Mod.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 01-28-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM

583 posts, read 884,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
After the Super Bowl and if we become a regular Super Bowl City then expect our population to explode even faster than before.
A Super Bowl does not have any positive impact on a city's population. They hold it in a different city, every year. People don't move annually to follow the Super Bowl.

Pretty much everyone has been forced to accept that this Super Bowl has hurt Indy and will be a massive money loser. It's too late to undo it, so they don't need to sell it, anymore.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
A Super Bowl does not have any positive impact on a city's population. They hold it in a different city, every year. People don't move annually to follow the Super Bowl.

Pretty much everyone has been forced to accept that this Super Bowl has hurt Indy and will be a massive money loser. It's too late to undo it, so they don't need to sell it, anymore.
Not Directly but indirectly.
As people have said a good chunk of Super Bowl goers are Corporate Decision makers and knowing Indianapolis is the Hidden Gem of the United States showcasing our Great City with the Super Bowl will bring Prosperity.
I have no doubts the Corporate Decision makers will be impressed and relocate jobs or set up shop in Indianapolis.
You have to look at the publicity of this and already were the fastest growing city and metro in the Midwest BEFORE the publicity of the Super Bowl

Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Pretty much everyone has been forced to accept that this Super Bowl has hurt Indy and will be a massive money loser.
Where are your facts/sources to back up this assertion? The cost of the bid itself was covered by private donations. The debt servicing cost of the stadium is already there anyway. Obviously, there's the cost of security and stadium staffing, but that should easily be covered by the sales taxes generated within the sports district. Much of the rest of the workforce to support the SB is volunteer.

Then again, I recognize this is a C-D forum, and you should, therefore, never let facts get in the way of a poor argument.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Where are your facts/sources to back up this assertion?
Really? You're still supporting the Super Bowl sales pitch?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Really? You're still supporting the Super Bowl sales pitch?
And you're still making baseless claims??

Old 01-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And you're still making baseless claims??
I don't mind when you close your eyes and root for the home town, but I find you despicable when you willfully ignore published economics and news articles on this subject.

Show me how Indy taxpayers will make money on the Super Bowl. You can't use NFL numbers. You have to use academic papers in support of your position.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Not Directly but indirectly.
As people have said a good chunk of Super Bowl goers are Corporate Decision makers and knowing Indianapolis is the Hidden Gem of the United States showcasing our Great City with the Super Bowl will bring Prosperity.
I have no doubts the Corporate Decision makers will be impressed and relocate jobs or set up shop in Indianapolis.
You have to look at the publicity of this and already were the fastest growing city and metro in the Midwest BEFORE the publicity of the Super Bowl
Wow, you are really jacked up on the optimism ... its nice, but naive.

the Superbowl is a football game. We have the largest spectacle in sports here each and every year ... has it brought corporate bigwigs to town? yes ... has it lured them into moving their operations here? probably not.

My hope is that the people who come to Indianapolis for the football game are pleasantly surprised by our hospitality (to the Boston folks too) and can see that Indianapolis can be a destination, not just a flyover city.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Wow, you are really jacked up on the optimism ... its nice, but naive.

the Superbowl is a football game. We have the largest spectacle in sports here each and every year ... has it brought corporate bigwigs to town? yes ... has it lured them into moving their operations here? probably not.

My hope is that the people who come to Indianapolis for the football game are pleasantly surprised by our hospitality (to the Boston folks too) and can see that Indianapolis can be a destination, not just a flyover city.
Yes Hoosier Hospitality is #1 and hence why i am proud to live here.
Also Domer the Indy 500 has the largest physical attendance but its TV ratings are nothing compared to the Super Bowl.
Its a balance and its nice to host the Indy 500 but i believe the Super Bowl is better cause having 100M+ People on their TVS look at Indianapolis is beautiful and that can't be done with the 500. Even though the Super Bowl has half the physical attendance of the Indy 500.
Also alot more people are into football than racing so there should be more Corporate Decision makers in Indianapolis for the Super Bowl than the 500.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I don't mind when you close your eyes and root for the home town, but I find you despicable when you willfully ignore published economics and news articles on this subject.

Show me how Indy taxpayers will make money on the Super Bowl. You can't use NFL numbers. You have to use academic papers in support of your position.
I have made no claims with respect to the net fiscal impact of Indy hosting the Super Bowl. I'm merely asking you to support yours, which you seem incapable of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis