U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,796,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
The Indy SuperBowl set an all time attendance record for the NFL Experience (beating out Dallas, Houston, Miami, etc.);
I think if anything, the NFL will study this. I'm not sure if the NFL Experience is a fairly new event, or if it was done totally different this time than in years past. Either way, it isn't surprising to me that they set records. For starters, Florida has a large retirement population, and the NFL Ex. seemed to be more focused on families. Everything on the news pointed towards kids having fun. So right there, with the population of Indiana, you are going to get a lot of families heading to this.

Secondly, look at the population of nearby cities, and I only know Detroit had a Superbowl in the recent past. I'm not sure if Chicago, St. Louis, or Cincinnati have ever hosted. Figure a four hour travel window and you have the millions to draw from: Cities such as Chicago, Cinnci, St. Louis, Louisville and Columbus.

So how new is the NFL experience and has it ever been in a metro area with large metros within a reasonable drive time, that haven't hosted a recent game? Seems folks in Florida would quickly tire of such an event if they have Superbowls in Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville. You can't count on folks from Atlanta driving to Florida because they have hosted a couple times as well.

Should be a lesson to the NFL, spread the wealth to more stadiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM

3,008 posts, read 3,714,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I think if anything, the NFL will study this. I'm not sure if the NFL Experience is a fairly new event, or if it was done totally different this time than in years past. Either way, it isn't surprising to me that they set records. For starters, Florida has a large retirement population, and the NFL Ex. seemed to be more focused on families. Everything on the news pointed towards kids having fun. So right there, with the population of Indiana, you are going to get a lot of families heading to this.

Secondly, look at the population of nearby cities, and I only know Detroit had a Superbowl in the recent past. I'm not sure if Chicago, St. Louis, or Cincinnati have ever hosted. Figure a four hour travel window and you have the millions to draw from: Cities such as Chicago, Cinnci, St. Louis, Louisville and Columbus.

So how new is the NFL experience and has it ever been in a metro area with large metros within a reasonable drive time, that haven't hosted a recent game? Seems folks in Florida would quickly tire of such an event if they have Superbowls in Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville. You can't count on folks from Atlanta driving to Florida because they have hosted a couple times as well.

The NFL experience is hosted every year by the host city. Usually for most places sans N.O. everything is spread out so you hardly ever hear about it other than in passing.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 AM

6,796 posts, read 6,246,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post

In New Orleans, most visitors would prefer partaking of the fine cuisine, walking around the French Quarter, visiting plantation homes, or going to the bars and clubs on Bourbon Street than going to a kid oriented indoor football carnival (NFL experience).

In Miami, visitors prefer to go hang out at the beach or be seen in South Beach.

The NFL experience had more attendance in Indy simply because there's not a whole lot to do or see in Indy. The NFL likes Indy because they can restrict all the activities to their own events, taking in all the profits.

In New Orleans, most of the profit goes to the museums, restaurants, tour buses, etc... Think about it, if you spent thousands to go to the Superbowl in New Orleans, would you rather throw a football around or tour historical sites from the 1700's?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM

3,008 posts, read 3,714,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In New Orleans, most visitors would prefer partaking of the fine cuisine, walking around the French Quarter, visiting plantation homes, or going to the bars and clubs on Bourbon Street than going to a kid oriented indoor football carnival (NFL experience).

In Miami, visitors prefer to go hang out at the beach or be seen in South Beach.

The NFL experience had more attendance in Indy simply because there's not a whole lot to do or see in Indy. The NFL likes Indy because they can restrict all the activities to their own events, taking in all the profits.

In New Orleans, most of the profit goes to the museums, restaurants, tour buses, etc... Think about it, if you spent thousands to go to the Superbowl in New Orleans, would you rather throw a football around or tour historical sites from the 1700's?
Plenty to do in Indianapolis, over 20 museums (IMA+100 acres, Eiejteljorg, Medical History, Museum of Sport, etc), historic sites (think Hinkle, Butler-Morris House, North Meridian Mansions, Benjamin Harris Home), racing (think Fast Times), IMS which is an icon in and of itself and world's largest venue, Connor Prairie., the Zoo. Maybe people here actually like spending time with their kids who knows.

Last edited by msamhunter; 02-09-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM

210 posts, read 492,380 times
Timelapsed: Indianapolis Super Bowl on Vimeo

Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM

17,696 posts, read 32,651,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Hey!!! That's really neat!!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,689,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

You don't get the fact that sports tourism (Major League American sports in particular) is very different than normal tourism. Most out of towners are there from mid-day Friday through Monday morning with Sunday already scheduled. They only have a day or two to look for entertainment, and most football fans don't care about taking architectural tours through the Garden District...unless it's to take a picture of the Manning family home.

Most of the fans are groups of men, and they want to: eat (brugers, steaks, ribs, maybe decent seafood if its available), drink (lots), go out at night to bars/clubs/those of the gentlemen's variety, or maybe hit an NCAA/NHL/NBA game. They asked me about Hinkle thanks to them hearing about it during Butler's runs in the NCAAs. Out of town corporate types want a couple places to host private parties. If you're going with kids, you'll take them to something kid friendly: zoo, children's museum, NCAA museum. Indy has enough to meet those needs for a couple of days easily.

The only things they can't do that would be on the list would be golf and possibly deep sea fishing.

Media types want to hang out with their media buddies who live on the other coast they only get to see once or twice a year. They don't want to waste time driving 40 minutes to see them across town. In Indy, they walk out of their hotel, go a couple blocks, and meet them in a bar or at a restaurant. It's easy.

There are more compelling restaurants, clubs, museums, etc elsewhere, but in sports tourism people value convenience over anything else. I was in town SB week (grew up in Indy), and I met a lot of people from NY, New England, and elsewhere. No one asked me about the cultural amenities. They wanted to know how to get to Broad Ripple, the cost of Pacers tickets, whether or not the NCAA museum was worth checking out, places for good burgers, etc.

You're from Austin. You should get this too. I was in your town when the Final Four was in San Antonio and the relays where being held in Austin. I went to the state capitol and I was the only person there outside of a security guard. I walked by the Alamo, which is a lot smaller than I imagined by the way, but I didn't go in. There were 4 tour buses fully of old people lined up to get in. I spent most of my time in bars and restaurants near the RiverWalk in San Antonio and on 6th street doing the exact same thing I would have been doing in Broad Ripple, Mass Ave, S. Meridian, etc in Indy. And I'm someone who enjoys the cutural aspects. The atmosphere of the event is what I was after, however. I can get the culture on another visit. About as cultural as I got was a hunt for good tacos and BBQ.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM

17,696 posts, read 32,651,809 times
now they are saying that 200K were exposed to measles!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 PM

6,796 posts, read 6,246,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
You don't get the fact that sports tourism (Major League American sports in particular) is very different than normal tourism. Most out of towners are there from mid-day Friday through Monday morning with Sunday already scheduled. They only have a day or two to look for entertainment, and most football fans don't care about taking architectural tours through the Garden District...unless it's to take a picture of the Manning family home.

Most of the fans are groups of men, and they want to: eat (brugers, steaks, ribs, maybe decent seafood if its available), drink (lots), go out at night to bars/clubs/those of the gentlemen's variety, or maybe hit an NCAA/NHL/NBA game. They asked me about Hinkle thanks to them hearing about it during Butler's runs in the NCAAs. Out of town corporate types want a couple places to host private parties. If you're going with kids, you'll take them to something kid friendly: zoo, children's museum, NCAA museum. Indy has enough to meet those needs for a couple of days easily.

The only things they can't do that would be on the list would be golf and possibly deep sea fishing.

Media types want to hang out with their media buddies who live on the other coast they only get to see once or twice a year. They don't want to waste time driving 40 minutes to see them across town. In Indy, they walk out of their hotel, go a couple blocks, and meet them in a bar or at a restaurant. It's easy.

There are more compelling restaurants, clubs, museums, etc elsewhere, but in sports tourism people value convenience over anything else. I was in town SB week (grew up in Indy), and I met a lot of people from NY, New England, and elsewhere. No one asked me about the cultural amenities. They wanted to know how to get to Broad Ripple, the cost of Pacers tickets, whether or not the NCAA museum was worth checking out, places for good burgers, etc.

You're from Austin. You should get this too. I was in your town when the Final Four was in San Antonio and the relays where being held in Austin. I went to the state capitol and I was the only person there outside of a security guard. I walked by the Alamo, which is a lot smaller than I imagined by the way, but I didn't go in. There were 4 tour buses fully of old people lined up to get in. I spent most of my time in bars and restaurants near the RiverWalk in San Antonio and on 6th street doing the exact same thing I would have been doing in Broad Ripple, Mass Ave, S. Meridian, etc in Indy. And I'm someone who enjoys the cutural aspects. The atmosphere of the event is what I was after, however. I can get the culture on another visit. About as cultural as I got was a hunt for good tacos and BBQ.
Yeah but even for sports tourism, New Orleans beats Indy in that department. You have probably never been to New Orleans during the Superbowl, Sugar Bowl, Final Four, NBA All Star game, or the myriad of other events that New Orleans gets on a regular basis. Why do you think the city is on the rotation for every major sporting event?

The reason why is in New Orleans you don't have to bring in construction crews to create a mock village. That's what Bourbon Street is for. There is nothing that beats the good natured heckling and other things that goes on when two teams are playing each other and you have a set of people in one set of jerseys (say Alabama) and another group in another set of jerseys (LSU), in this example the BCS championship game.

You have tons of sports bars, the city is extremely walkable, fine cuisine (or even delicious burgers) are a quick walk away, and you can party all night long in New Orleans (no closing time). What is the closing time in Indy may I ask? Also, the weather in New Orleans in February is usually a lot better than Indy. I know y'all got lucky this time, but you know as well as I do that it could've been 10 degrees and snowing during the Superbowl week and you know that people would have not enjoyed things like zip lining in that kind of weather.

Indy pulled off a great SB and I'm glad you're proud. I think Indy is a far better site than say, Dallas. However, I believe New Orleans is simply the best place for any sports tournament period. They even had the Olympic track event tryouts there a few years ago. Don't think it's a coincidence that NOLA gets picked for almost every major sporting event.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM

3,896 posts, read 3,861,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
now they are saying that 200K were exposed to measles!
Simple common sense! Get Vaccinated!
I am not concerned cause i am personally vaccinated and plus if you go to school in the US its required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis