Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, if shopping and spending lots of money using credit cards is important than KC would edge out Indy. It's the general attitude of most in KC that sucks far worse than Indy and that tends to be a dealbreaker for me.
Absolutely. The people in Kansas City exhibit a lot of distasteful superficial personality traits and also anti social behavior. In particular what I find disturbing is that so many of the women here possess the same personality and character flaws that my brother's now ex sociopathic wife has. They are equally as aggressive and over bearing as she and also play demented psychopathic games with guys which in many cases lead to domestic violence issues among couples. Sadly, I will no longer attempt to talk to any of them unless I have been talking to them and are familiar with them from the past. The worst offenders are women that are middle aged or older than their mid 30's. I try to avoid the single and available women in that age bracket like the plague. And the rest of them I may talk to a little but don't really get too involved unless they are not natives of the KC region and hail from another state entirely.

I can count on one hand the number of similarly demented women that I met in Indianapolis during my time there. It may have been two or three but that is about it.

I said it before and I will say it again. KC is a legend in its own mind. These people like to "think" they are high society and at the top of the food chain but they are living in a dreamland and obviously don't really know their place in the larger scheme of society. At least Indy is essentially not trying to live a lie and it is what it is. I respect the place and its people for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM

45 posts, read 69,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
curious: which of atlanta's malls are impressive?
The Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza combo in Buckhead are pretty nice by just about any city's standards. So is the entire Buckhead area for that matter.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
There's still more high end shopping in Kansas City than most cities of comparable size. Including Indianapolis. I wouldn't place Kansas City shopping too far below Atlanta, Dallas, and Scottsdale. NYC, LA, and vegas, yes.
Oh my...not much of a shopper are you? It's ok, I'm not either, but I'm married to one so I've become a defacto expert on the subject!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Absolutely. The people in Kansas City exhibit a lot of distasteful superficial personality traits and also anti social behavior. In particular what I find disturbing is that so many of the women here possess the same personality and character flaws that my brother's now ex sociopathic wife has. They are equally as aggressive and over bearing as she and also play demented psychopathic games with guys which in many cases lead to domestic violence issues among couples. Sadly, I will no longer attempt to talk to any of them unless I have been talking to them and are familiar with them from the past. The worst offenders are women that are middle aged or older than their mid 30's. I try to avoid the single and available women in that age bracket like the plague. And the rest of them I may talk to a little but don't really get too involved unless they are not natives of the KC region and hail from another state entirely.

I can count on one hand the number of similarly demented women that I met in Indianapolis during my time there. It may have been two or three but that is about it.

I said it before and I will say it again. KC is a legend in its own mind. These people like to "think" they are high society and at the top of the food chain but they are living in dreamland and obviously don't really know their place in the larger scheme of society. At least Indy is essentially not trying to live a lie and it is what it is. I respect the place and its people for that.
I've always seen KC as like a smaller, redneck version of Dallas. Lots of $30,000 millionaires everywhere you look. But it's definitely got it's good points as well so I'd never completely dismiss it.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
That could be true, but also is of little, if any significance to people outside the respective metros. I really don't think the "friendly city quotient" can be quantified that well. Anywhere you go, people in customer service positions are generally friendly. I have noticed, in certain cities, mainly the big ones, people don't have approach anxiety when talking to strangers and have a comfort level being outgoing with strangers. Mid-sized cities are still more like small-towns in this aspect, as much as they despise hearing that.

Kansas City also feels like a higher-end city, a lot of this is because of Country Club Plaza. There's nothing close to that in Indy. Someone could visit the nicest areas of both cities, and Kansas City would be considered more impressive.
Boston's Faneuil Hall Marketplace kicks butt on Country Club Plaza.

I have to admit that is one flaw with Indianapolis that I hope can be remedied in the future. Developing some old downtown areas or neighborhood shopping districts into more vibrant family friendly oriented shopping and entertainment areas. Downtown Indy is coming along nicely though and is much nicer and well rounded than KC.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas46032 View Post
I've always seen KC as like a smaller, redneck version of Dallas. Lots of $30,000 millionaires everywhere you look. But it's definitely got it's good points as well so I'd never completely dismiss it.
Ain't this the truth. Can't speak for Dallas because I have not spent any time there but I do have family in that area and I get along just fine with that part of my family.

There's a guy here in KC that I know from a wealthy family in India. He works for Fedex. He lived in Dallas and South Carolina for a while. He said he dated the women there and thought they were OK. He won't go near the women in KC because as he put it they are "insane, crude and act like sluts". I didn't see much behavior like this in the women in central Indiana which is a relief. If I move there I may be able to talk to a few of them and not have to worry about being in the presence of a psychopath.

I do like the BBQ and museums in KC. Even some of the older architecture in some of the neighborhoods is neat. And the ample amount of sunshine is a plus. But as Granite Stater has said the attitude of the people is what really sucks and given the sheer number and magnitude of the problems I've had here over the years, they dwarf by far the issues I've had in any other area of the country where I've lived on a per annual basis. This area is a lost cause because of the idiocy and infantile sociopathic attitudes and behavior of its people. Indy hands down is the better place of the two when comparing the character and personality of the people.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Also Indianapolis has decent malls.
Castleton and Keystone at the Crossing.
Circle Centre which is in Downtown and thats great cause you can walk to resturants etc then do your shopping.
Also alot of our events and conventions are downtown so theres another plus with Circle Centre. Plus the Mall owner Indianapolis based Simon Property Group isn't stupid we have a big vacancy from a Nordstrom store and in the next year or few it will be filled.
Also there is the Greenwood Park Mall on the south side.
Do we have a mall of America equal mall? no but then again i don't think any city could compete with Mall of America in Minneapolis.
Indianapolis though has all the high end stores/bargin stores/casual stores that you would expect in a metro of about 2M people and growing.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
You know a thread has spun out of control when we are debating something as silly as whose malls are bigger.

Our bland suburban malls are sooooooooo much bigger than yours are!! Our Urban Outfitters is bigger by 500 square feet! EAT IT KANSAS CITY!!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You know a thread has spun out of control when we are debating something as silly as whose malls are bigger.

Our bland suburban malls are sooooooooo much bigger than your are!! Our Urban Outfitters is bigger by 500 square feet! EAT IT KANSAS CITY!!
This is true.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
but if your buying a house you need somewhere to shop right?
I don't trust the idea of fresh fruit off Ebay lol.
Having a low cost of living helps shoppers
Gotta eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis