U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 PM

7,567 posts, read 9,193,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
ya.
St Louis does go up to Indy.
About the only thing i personally see St Louis beating Indy over is Mass Transit and History. Although Indy has plenty of history too.

Indy beats St Louis over location. 3 hour drive to Chicago/2 hour Cincy/3.5ish hours St Louis/2.5 hour Louisville/2 hour Dayton Ohio. No other city can match Indy's premium location as the Crossroads of America. Well having all the big city amendities you would expect. Minus the Big city hassle and the insane cost of living. My phrase is the Dollar goes farther in Indy and it really does.
I think you make too big a deal out of location at least when comparing two cities. You live in a city and are there every day so I think the city matters more than what is 2-3 hours away.

I do like the fact that Indy is closer to more major cities, but KC is in a more attractive immediate area and outstate Missouri has some amazing areas to retreat to for the weekend. Also, KC is relatively close to Colorado (I like to drive to CO rather than fly so I have my bikes, skis etc with me).

Again, Iím not downing Indy, only trying to give reasons why I do like KC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I have no idea why KC and Indy would be considered "rivals" except for the lunatic rantings of the op.

St. Louis and Indy seem to have a little more in common than KC and Indy. I've been to Indy. Nice city. The downtown is nice.

I don't think St. Louis considers Indy a rival. In sports, we kind of have this thing going with the cubs. Lot's of STL people go to the games at Wrigley and lots of Chicago folks come to STL for the games.

From what I understand, Indy has a done a better job with your downtown.
I think KC has more in comon with StL than Indy does. First off they are in the same state. Second, KC just feels like a bigger city than Indy. While KC is spread out suburban wise, it has a historic urban core built around the streetcar.

At the same time, I don't think StL and Indy have much in common at all.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
The huge wide multi lane I-70 that run south of the airport reminded me of being on one of the expansive multi lane Texas freeways you see in Houston or Dallas.
Only the one in Indy feels like it's in the middle in nowhere and there is nowhere near enough traffic to ever fill all those lanes.

That's what I think whenever I pass by the airport. It doesn't remind me of Dallas or Houston in the least.

As far as KC, about half of the metro has an antiquated freeway system while the other half it quite developed. The south side of the metro has all the big 8-10 lane freeways with auxiliary lanes, flyover ramps, ramp metering etc while I-70 right through the city is stuck in the 1950's with short on ramps, six lane freeways etc. I-35 from downtown to Liberty is only four lanes. Most people live in the south part of the city, yet most people vesting KC only see the airport or I-70.

http://g.co/maps/nxxp6

Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,453,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think KC has more in comon with StL than Indy does. First off they are in the same state. Second, KC just feels like a bigger city than Indy. While KC is spread out suburban wise, it has a historic urban core built around the streetcar.

At the same time, I don't think StL and Indy have much in common at all.
Don't worry, you won't get me into the STL and KC debate because I like KC quite a bit. I thought KC is a little more western leaning while, IMO, ST. Louis is a little more midwestern. More neighborhoods based on the ethnic identity of the immigrants who originally settled here, more catholics. KC just seems a little different in that regard, where my perception is Indy is more like STL. Not better, just a little different.

I would have no problem living in KC and visit it regularly and have family there as well.

In my experience, the people of KC are quite friendly. Not sure what the OP's problems are, but it seems like an outlier to me.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Similiar sized metros.
St Louis is rivaled by Indy and from St Louis thats pathetic. St Louis has 800,000 more people in the metro and this city/metro Indianapolis which is smaller is competing with St Louis. That indicates a major flaw and decline in St louis right there if smaller cities/metros are competing with it.
Heck Indy even competes with Chicago for jobs and sports.
the Big Ten Tournament choose Indy over Chicago for the football games. Heck the American College of Education moved to Indianapolis from Chicago.
Best one is when CME group even looked at Indy due to Illinois tax hikes. Don't worry people say they are staying in Chicago. I have other *Ambitious plans* for that.
I'm not sure I'd agree St. Louis is still in decline. It's well noted we've fallen greatly in many measures from our heyday, but it seems to me the decline stopped years ago.

We maybe aren't taking off.

If Indy is, congrats. Perhaps we could learn some things.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yeah, I'm a lunatic alright. Apparently your reading comprehension skills need some improvement.

How many times has some jerk from Missouri or Kansas brought up the subject of KC on this forum during a discussion about Indy? Not too long ago someone started to post photos of downtown KC during a discussion about downtown Indy.

And you wonder why I accuse the people of KC and its region of being out to lunch? It's because you are.
I don't think you are a lunatic but you have smeared an entire population of a good sized midwestern city like KC. Although I'm not from there and have never lived there, I've spent a great deal of time in KC and have family there. It is a fine city. Some of the friendliest people I've come across. One of my kids recently played in a soccer tournament in Indy, out in the inner burbs. I drove through some very nice areas and also some not very nice areas. Just like you would find in any midwestern city, STL, KC or Indy (or Milwaukee, Cincy, etc.).

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience there, but I have a hard time believing some of what you've written in this thread.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, you won't get me into the STL and KC debate because I like KC quite a bit. I thought KC is a little more western leaning while, IMO, ST. Louis is a little more midwestern. More neighborhoods based on the ethnic identity of the immigrants who originally settled here, more catholics. KC just seems a little different in that regard, where my perception is Indy is more like STL. Not better, just a little different.

I would have no problem living in KC and visit it regularly and have family there as well.

In my experience, the people of KC are quite friendly. Not sure what the OP's problems are, but it seems like an outlier to me.
Oh, I agree. I like both KC and StL a lot. If I had to choose, I would choose StL over KC. It's a bit more my style.

I guess my point is that I don't think Indy quite stacks up to KC then no way it stacks up to StL. Other than Indy having a little nicer downtown, STL is far more comprehensive. There is so much more to StL than downtown, but even downtown StL can hold its own against downtown Indy.

Indy is a nice city and places like KC and StL should be watching their back as the city is closing the gap between them. I just don't think it's there yet.

Yea, the OP of this thread has issues. But I think that's obvious.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,084,905 times
[quote=kcmo;23132655]Oh, I agree. I like both KC and StL a lot. If I had to choose, I would choose StL over KC. It's a bit more my style.

Quote:
I guess my point is that I don't think Indy quite stacks up to KC then no way it stacks up to StL. Other than Indy having a little nicer downtown, STL is far more comprehensive. There is so much more to StL than downtown, but even downtown StL can hold its own against downtown Indy.
Definitely a differing of opinion. As of right now, downtown STL doesn't hold its own against Downtown Indianapolis no more so than Indianapolis neighborhoods holding their own against STL. They just don't and both cities advertises as such. STL is neighborhood centric with downtown being ok at best. Indianapolis has never been neighborhood centric, it's just not designed that way. It's the traditional shopping areas (plazas, strip malls, shopping malls, etc.) and the traditional neighborhood tends to be strictly housing and parks. Downtown on the other hand is the ultimate shopping/business whatever district and it caters to that. One of the reasons honestly is the Circle. I would venture to say the Circle means more to Indianapolis than the Arch does to STL. It's the city's flag, can never be demolished per Indiana constitution and people here take it seriously and it truly has meaning to them. The Arch is well touristy, federal and kind of out of place.

It's ironic though as we debate this yet again, STL is focusing on its downtown and Indianapolis is focusing on its neighborhood development. Ultimately, Indianapolis space wise despite how its advertised has the second largest downtown outside of Chicago and the third largest downtown population outside of Chicago and Minneapolis and will probably surpass Minney in a few years as their populations are extremely close right now. So downtown development will not stop anytime soon and I think the city is more than content with letting the townships stay how they are and instead starting to focus on center township (old city limits) since it's the only one with sidewalks.

BTW KC, Downtown Indianapolis designed around the inter-urban rail, no different than KC being designed around the streetcar.

City wise though, Indianapolis from top to bottom probably does offer more than KC in terms of overall amenities. KC relies on going outside of itself more than Indianapolis ever would or need to. Once you get outside of the immediate Metro, the time it takes KC residents to enjoy other areas, Indianapolis residents can enjoy more of that including different topographies from prairie to sand dunes. Since it's Indiana though, no one pays it any thought because of the perception Indiana has all being nothing but flat farmland in which it really isn't.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,910,243 times
Exactly Msam and i might add if i am not mistaken i believe Monument Circle is way older than the Arch.
Monument circle was built in 1900. Don't think they had the modern stainless materials. even invented at that time that makes up the arch.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,054,182 times
Quote:
I don't think you are a lunatic but you have smeared an entire population of a good sized midwestern city like KC. Although I'm not from there and have never lived there, I've spent a great deal of time in KC and have family there. It is a fine city. Some of the friendliest people I've come across. One of my kids recently played in a soccer tournament in Indy, out in the inner burbs. I drove through some very nice areas and also some not very nice areas. Just like you would find in any midwestern city, STL, KC or Indy (or Milwaukee, Cincy, etc.).

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience there, but I have a hard time believing some of what you've written in this thread.
Believe it or not, it is all true. And I can cite more negative experiences such as being sexually harassed at work and having my job threatened if I didn't play ball. And I've had homosexuals hit on me despite the fact I am not gay. Apparently their Gaydar is not functioning properly in KC because I've never had this problem in another region. Ever.

I won't categorically state that EVERY person in KC is a creep, jerk or moron. But a lot of them really are and unfortunately they seem to gravitate towards me and like to get into my space. It has happened way too many times to be an accident and the only viable solution is for me to relocate. I will by the end of 2012.

On the bright side I will still come back to KC to visit from time to time. But live here again? Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis