Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,420 times

Advertisements

Cops can indeed frighten little children. I have seen it happen and it's not right. On a traffic stop a Cop should not be conversing with any of the passengers but strictly limit his business with the driver. If small children are in the vehicle, he should be attentive and sensitive to the impact he could be having on young children. Perhaps the police department should supply its patrol officers with suckers so the cops can hand them out to the kiddies during traffic stops.

Children will then avoid suffering a traumatic experience from being pulled over by a Cop. In fact little Johnnie may tell his dad after such a pleasant stop "Hey Dad, floor it! I am craving for another Tootsie Roll Pop."

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-03-2012 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,056,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Because you told us. You told us the cop was "jerk" and then made comments about how he issued you a ticket and didn't parent your children. Without any more specifics, it is only logical to assume that you placed the "jerk" label upon the officer because he gave you a citation and didn't make small talk with your children while doing his job. If there is more, tell us. Did he cuss you? Use foul language while speaking?

This boggles my mind. Why do your kids automatically think an interaction with police = jail? One reason is because I've seen many parents say "Watch out, he'll/she'll take you to jail." jokingly to their kids when they pass an officer at a fair, mall, etc.. The problem is that sort of stuff will make a young kid believe police do one thing: Take people to jail just to do it. The whole illegality issue isn't explained, the difference between jail and tickets isn't explained. It isn't an officers job to play teacher during a traffic stop. No officer is going to direct their attention toward kids. The attention is directed to the driver and other issues (oncoming traffic, etc..)

First off, your taxes only pay that officer's salary if you live in the municipality, or if the officer was a state trooper. Lets say you do, and thus you do pay for a fraction of that officer's salary. If you don't want your officers writing tickets, contact the mayor/town board and request that. If you don't want police at all, request that. If you don't want your officers making traffic stops, request that. The officer is serving the public. For whatever reason, the speed limit in that area is that limit for a reason. If you don't like it, it is easy enough to petition to have it changed.

No, but I've had children in my vehicle, and if they started crying because I was pulled over, who cares? If they are that frightened, I will deal with it later. I have no reason to expect the officer to engage the kid(s) on a traffic stop.

You got a ticket and you're upset. That is why the officer was a jerk, oh, and he didn't talk to your kids. This is what you gave us. If you're gonna call LEOs names without anything of substance, I'm gonna call you out. What's the matter, haven't you had your morning coffee yet? Is that what you just had to respond to my post? No one forced you to respond to my post. Get off my leg!!
You have the right to your opinon as I have the right to mine.. I responded because you were biting my leg. You will NEVER bully me on here.

What is mind boggling is that you don't even have children but yet you have such a strong opinion about how I should feel about my 4 year old being frightened. I have no idea why she identified being pulled over by a cop with going to jail, we certainly don't say stuff like that at our house but who knows, kids pick up all kinds of stuff in daycare, Sunday school etc.. etc...

To address your earlier question, yes the officer was very unfriendly... He wouldn't even respond to my hello and had a very bad body language. I was doing 41 MPH in what I thought was a 45 MPH zone, so I greeted him and asked what was wrong, he wouldn't even respond and was very rude. I'm not labeling him a "jerk" just because I got a ticket, I'm labeling him a "jerk" because of how he treated me as a human being and I did NOT like my daughter being frightened. He indeed was a jerk. I understand you have a hard on for cops, I get it.. but why be judgemental about someone else's situation and bite their leg about how they feel especially when you don't even have children?

And yes, I live in that municipality, now what?

I have every right to my opinion to call him a jerk... He was being a jerk and who the hell are you to "call me out" as you put it? Huh bully? GET OFF MY LEG!

And for the record, I always enjoy your posts but this time... I really see you as crossing the line and I don't appreciate it. I see your posts on this topic as hostile and trying to start a fight with me.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM

218 posts, read 462,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
You are very lucky that he let you go... The cop that pulled me over was a total d-bag! No chance of getting a warning.. What really ticked me off was having my kids in the car and his complete lack of regard for them.
Call me a big old poopyhead, but I have to more or less agree with Indy_317 on this one. Yeah, I've noticed in my brief time on this forum that his often good and viable points are delivered in a way that seems more "antagonist" than "devil's advocate", but he's essentially saying that the fundamental role of a law enforcement officer is to promote and uphold public safety, not to comfort a distraught 4-year-old. I agree. You mention his lack of regard for your kids, but (and I'm honestly trying to be devil's advocate and not a bully here!) what about your regard for your children when you were speeding?

While you explained your case and it seems like a mild infraction, there are plenty of other drivers out there who egregiously violate the laws with their children present, endangering their lives. We've all seen crazy parents with unbuckled small kids in the front seat who should be in the back in a carefully strapped car seat. No doubt if these drivers are pulled over for moving violations, an angry-looking cop is going to scare the typical toddler, but I don't blame the cop for being annoyed: he/she is having to play the parent in this case due to the lack of responsibility of the actual, biological parent! Imagine if the toddler WEREN'T scared--couldn't it suggest to the cop that this is a regular occurrence?

Social workers are trained to check themselves for counter-transference issues, in which they empathize so strongly with their clients that they enable them and fail to help them when these clients are obviously making poor life decisions. I have no doubt cops are taught to be stoic for much the same reason. Fess up that you made a mild mistake in front of your children--then be an optimist and remind yourself that the experience may leave a strong enough impression on your children that they become much more defensive drivers as adults.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Call me a big old poopyhead, but I have to more or less agree with Indy_317 on this one. Yeah, I've noticed in my brief time on this forum that his often good and viable points are delivered in a way that seems more "antagonist" than "devil's advocate", but he's essentially saying that the fundamental role of a law enforcement officer is to promote and uphold public safety, not to comfort a distraught 4-year-old. I agree. You mention his lack of regard for your kids, but (and I'm honestly trying to be devil's advocate and not a bully here!) what about your regard for your children when you were speeding?

While you explained your case and it seems like a mild infraction, there are plenty of other drivers out there who egregiously violate the laws with their children present, endangering their lives. We've all seen crazy parents with unbuckled small kids in the front seat who should be in the back in a carefully strapped car seat. No doubt if these drivers are pulled over for moving violations, an angry-looking cop is going to scare the typical toddler, but I don't blame the cop for being annoyed: he/she is having to play the parent in this case due to the lack of responsibility of the actual, biological parent! Imagine if the toddler WEREN'T scared--couldn't it suggest to the cop that this is a regular occurrence?

Social workers are trained to check themselves for counter-transference issues, in which they empathize so strongly with their clients that they enable them and fail to help them when these clients are obviously making poor life decisions. I have no doubt cops are taught to be stoic for much the same reason. Fess up that you made a mild mistake in front of your children--then be an optimist and remind yourself that the experience may leave a strong enough impression on your children that they become much more defensive drivers as adults.
Fair enough! Your point is well taken and well said....

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM

218 posts, read 462,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Cops can indeed frighten little children. I have seen it happen and it's not right. On a traffic stop a Cop should not be conversing with any of the passengers but strictly limit his business with the driver. If small children are in the vehicle, he should be attentive and sensitive to the impact he could be having on young children. Perhaps the police department should supply its patrol officers with suckers so the cops can hand them out to the kiddies during traffic stops.

Children will then avoid suffering a traumatic experience from being pulled over by a Cop. In fact little Johnnie may tell his dad after such a pleasant stop "Hey Dad, floor it! I am craving for another Tootsie Roll Pop."
God I feel like I sound like Miss Laura Norder on this one, but same thing goes here as my previous post. I guess I feel pretty strongly about this! Why should a law enforcement officer feel obliged to reward children with candy when their parents are breaking the law? Now if it's a traffic stop for an entirely different purpose--such as identifying the owners of a potentially stolen vehicle or whatnot--I agree they should be a tad more gentle, and mostly likely they would be (even if a child isn't in the back seat).

But if I got pulled over for speeding when my kid was in the back and the citation ended up scaring my child, I'd have no one to blame but myself. Anything else is deflection. Now if I felt convinced it was a speed trap with the cynical goal of government revenue generation, I may very well take it on, but that process would add a dimension of moral ambiguity that is unreasonable to impress upon a small child. As far as the child sees it, Mommy or Daddy goofed, and let it be a learning experience for all.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
God I feel like I sound like Miss Laura Norder on this one, but same thing goes here as my previous post. I guess I feel pretty strongly about this! Why should a law enforcement officer feel obliged to reward children with candy when their parents are breaking the law? Now if it's a traffic stop for an entirely different purpose--such as identifying the owners of a potentially stolen vehicle or whatnot--I agree they should be a tad more gentle, and mostly likely they would be (even if a child isn't in the back seat).

But if I got pulled over for speeding when my kid was in the back and the citation ended up scaring my child, I'd have no one to blame but myself. Anything else is deflection. Now if I felt convinced it was a speed trap with the cynical goal of government revenue generation, I may very well take it on, but that process would add a dimension of moral ambiguity that is unreasonable to impress upon a small child. As far as the child sees it, Mommy or Daddy goofed, and let it be a learning experience for all.
The Shrek has a great sense of humor, I'm pretty sure he's having a little fun with this topic!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,420 times
Quote:

Personally I think trading suckers for tickets is an extremely good deal for cities, towns and municipalities. It's a win-win situation for everybody except for dads. I am going to talk to my Mayor and council woman about instituting some Candy Cops. It would be good public relations and put cops in a much more favorable light. Heck, it could even bring a smile to their faces when they pull over dad with a load of small kids in his car. Dad may even start smiling too. Happy moment getting a citation!

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
I have no idea why she identified being pulled over by a cop with going to jail...and I did NOT like my daughter being frightened.
Police aren't clairvoyant, there is no way for an officer to know if some child in a car is going to lose it because the driver committed a traffic violation and the officer is going to stop them. I get your comments about how the officer acted, though we still have one side of the story. I still am dumbfounded about you being so bent about your kid being frightened. If your brakes were on fire and the officer pulled you over and your daughter started crying would you still be so critical of the officer? Why are you so upset at the cop for frightening your daughter? Should people with small children in vehicles get a pass from being pulled over for traffic violations?

Quote:
He indeed was a jerk. I understand you have a hard on for cops, I get it.. but why be judgemental about someone else's situation and bite their leg about how they feel especially when you don't even have children?
"Hard on?" What kind of sick mind do you have to go to the gutter with that kind of talk? Anyways, I called you out because you labeled the cop a jerk and stated only two issues after giving the officer that label:
#1: You got a ticket.
#2: Your daughter lost it due to being in a car that was pulled over by the police.

Oh, and since when does having children make automatically make a parents opinion automatically valid and correct? So I guess all the posters here who don't have children will never, ever have a correct opinion on something child related? We can't comment on issues of child welfare, where kids are living in absolute filth because we don't even have children? People with no children can never criticize or form an opinion about bad parenting?

Quote:
I see your posts on this topic as hostile and trying to start a fight with me.
Why? Because I dared to ask/question if an officer is automatically a jerk because:
#2: Your daughter lost it due to being in a car that was pulled over by the police.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if people want to come to a "complain about cops" "complain about tickets" etc. thread, they should be prepared to back up the statements they make. It would be very telling of a person if they felt that cops are jerks solely for the reason the person did something wrong and were cited/arrested for it. To me that is a totally different mindset than someone who correctly labels an officer a jerk due to their attitude, language, work ethic, etc..

Quote:
Why should a law enforcement officer feel obliged to reward children with candy when their parents are breaking the law?
I think Southside was being sarcastic...at least I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Personally I think trading suckers for tickets is an extremely good deal for cities, towns and municipalities.
Unfortunately, the first kid that chokes on a sucker means $10,000,000 lawsuit against the municipality...so this will never happen. Oh, and of course there will be the ADA lawsuit as well, since the cops may not have suckers for kids who are diabetic.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Police aren't clairvoyant, there is no way for an officer to know if some child in a car is going to lose it because the driver committed a traffic violation and the officer is going to stop them. I get your comments about how the officer acted, though we still have one side of the story. I still am dumbfounded about you being so bent about your kid being frightened. If your brakes were on fire and the officer pulled you over and your daughter started crying would you still be so critical of the officer? Why are you so upset at the cop for frightening your daughter? Should people with small children in vehicles get a pass from being pulled over for traffic violations?

"Hard on?" What kind of sick mind do you have to go to the gutter with that kind of talk? Anyways, I called you out because you labeled the cop a jerk and stated only two issues after giving the officer that label:

Oh, and since when does having children make automatically make a parents opinion automatically valid and correct? So I guess all the posters here who don't have children will never, ever have a correct opinion on something child related? We can't comment on issues of child welfare, where kids are living in absolute filth because we don't even have children? People with no children can never criticize or form an opinion about bad parenting?

Why? Because I dared to ask/question if an officer is automatically a jerk because:

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if people want to come to a "complain about cops" "complain about tickets" etc. thread, they should be prepared to back up the statements they make. It would be very telling of a person if they felt that cops are jerks solely for the reason the person did something wrong and were cited/arrested for it. To me that is a totally different mindset than someone who correctly labels an officer a jerk due to their attitude, language, work ethic, etc..

I think Southside was being sarcastic...at least I hope so!

Unfortunately, the first kid that chokes on a sucker means $10,000,000 lawsuit against the municipality...so this will never happen. Oh, and of course there will be the ADA lawsuit as well, since the cops may not have suckers for kids who are diabetic.
FAIL!! You obviously didn't get what I said. And evidently you enjoy arguing and have to get the last word in.... Not today!

The officer was a JERK!! And you DEFINITELY have a hard on for cops!

*blowing you a big WET kiss*

Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
FAIL!! You obviously didn't get what I said. And evidently you enjoy arguing and have to get the last word in.... Not today!

The officer was a JERK!! And you DEFINITELY have a hard on for cops!

*blowing you a big WET kiss*
Most of the cops in Hamilton County are jerks. They generally don't have anything to do other than busting H.S. kids for smoking weed and pulling people over in their stupid speed traps.

If you anyone honestly doesn't think the roads in Fishers/Carmel/Westfield are speed traps, explain to me how in Carmel, 146th is 45, 141st is 40, 136th is 40, Main Street is 35, 116th is 35, 106th is 40, and 96th is 35. All of these speed limits are between Towne Road and Spring Mill Road.

Last thing, how can you really argue that because someone was going 45 in a 30 in Westfield is endangering their children? The speed limit should probably 45 as should every main road in Westfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis