Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,643,944 times

Advertisements

There is no great Chicago-style pizza in Indy.

None.

The St. Louis pizza is horrible. Just horrible. That Provel cheese isn't even really cheese. It's a kind of processed cheese product, like Velveeta. There is a reason that nasty $hit hasn't caught on anywhere else.

Look, the best pizza in the world is in Italy and New York City. I've eaten pizza extensively in both places, and it really is true.

Now, that does not mean good pizza cannot be found other places. Honestly, you can find decent pizza in any city. Just don't expect to get deep dish pizza in Seattle like you can get at Burt's Place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Drover, where is Giovanni's Pizza these days? It once was out in Roseland.
There's one in Montclare but I don't know if it's affiliated with whatever one was in Roseland. Montclare and Roseland aren't particularly close.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,796,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

They've started opening up Jets Pizza places around here. Actually not too bad for a fairly large regional chain. But I'm not a big fan of the big spongy crust, having grown up on the crisp cracker-thin crust of the Chicago-style thin crust variety.
There was a Monical's Pizza in Carmel for a couple of years but it closed. Monical's is a chain from Illinois that features that cracker-thin crust, but it didn't seem to catch on here.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
There was a Monical's Pizza in Carmel for a couple of years but it closed. Monical's is a chain from Illinois that features that cracker-thin crust, but it didn't seem to catch on here.
Actually they still have one in Fishers.

Monical's isn't quite "Chicago-style" though. In fact there are only two Monical's in the Chicago area, in an exurban area really that few people other than the Census Bureau consider part of the Chicago metro. Their main market is small-market towns and college towns in central and east central Illinois with a few on the Indiana side such as Kentland and Terre Haute and West Lafayette and the like.

Considering their "small-town America" appeal I'm actually surprised they're trying to make a go of it not just in the thick of a major metro like Indy, but one of the most upscale areas of said metro. It's just not a good market fit for them. They could probably get some traction in the Chicago area based on nostalgic value of Chicago-area people who went downstate for college, but Carmel/Fishers doesn't make a lot of sense. There's one in Greenwood too for what it's worth, and 3 in Indy proper.

Last edited by Drover; 03-18-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,118,399 times
It's incredible that pizza can create all this chatter.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,050,671 times
Monical's reminds me of Pizza King. However, they do have a deep dish pizza, that takes a while to cook. We stopped by one off an I-74 exit just before you hit the Indiana line. I liked their customary/thin crust pizza when I had it. I didn't care too much for their deep dish.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,477,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
It's incredible that pizza can create all this chatter.
oh im sick of the pizzaa......

Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,118,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
oh im sick of the pizzaa......
me too. Think I'll try Pizza Hut tonight and watch Purdue play. Go Boilers!!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,796,874 times
I still haven't made it to Nancy's but did have the opportunity to try Jet's. The eight corner was very good, the turbo stix (which were higly recommended) were average.

I will be working in Fishers later in the week, maybe I can pick up a Nancy's to take home.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM

3,392 posts, read 3,426,197 times
Yea jets square is about as close to buddys as you can find outside metro detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis