Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 51,584 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in Indiapolis in 2 weeks! I'm planning on living downtown, and I'm working uptown.

What's the dating scene like downtown? I'm from Vermont, and I've also lived in NYC so I've done small-town and big city dating. I like intelligent, nerdy professionals. What are the demographics like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snactres View Post
I am starting a new job in Indiapolis in 2 weeks! I'm planning on living downtown, and I'm working uptown.

What's the dating scene like downtown? I'm from Vermont, and I've also lived in NYC so I've done small-town and big city dating. I like intelligent, nerdy professionals. What are the demographics like?
With a quote like this, I'm assuming you're a woman. Purdue has a great engineering school and is a little up the highway and Indiana has a great business school and is a little down the highway. That might pipe some nerds into Indy. I think that you will find much friendlier people there than you will in either Vermont or NYC. However, you will be making a trade-off in the natural beauty or interesting cityscape department.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
I never lived downtown and only knew of IUPUI students that lived downtown, but the dating scene is decent in certain pockets. I know a lot of young professionals live in the castelton area. You mostly get a lot of kids who just graduated from Indiana colleges that move to Indy. There aren't really a lot of urban neighborhoods like in the larger cities where certain types of people live. I didn't see a lot of intelligent nerdy professionals either. If your talking hipsters, then Indy definitely doesn't have that.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM

37 posts, read 75,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
If your talking hipsters, then Indy definitely doesn't have that.
There are hipsters all over the place. Its by no means Brooklyn, but there are a lot.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,976 times
[/quote]There are hipsters all over the place. Its by no means Brooklyn, but there are a lot.[/quote]

What would you guys define as a hipster? I grew up in the northeast, about 40 minutes outside of NYC and have spent a lot of time in NYC. Also I just moved here 3 weeks ago from DFW, I was in Texas for 3 weeks. I've seen that term thrown around a lot in this forum...

As far as a dating scene for young professionals, I'll be able to comment in a couple weeks. But some early observations are that a lot of people are coupled up at bars and even at the gym. Someone mentioned to me checking out Indy hub which is a networking group for young professionals, they meet the 2nd Wednesday every month at the Slippery Noodle, might be worth a shot.. I'm currently living downtown..

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM

21 posts, read 51,584 times
Ugh, I hate hipsters. Nerdy does not equal hipster. When I think of hipster, I think of pasty, awkward, ambiguously employed, and wearing skinny pants.

I just got here yesterday, starting the job on Wednesday, looking at apartments downtown this week.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
^^^I'm originally from Connecticut and lived in Indy for a while in the 1990's.

I don't blame you for hating Hipsters. Flavor of the month crowd. I don't recall running into many Nerdy people in Indy. I knew a lot during my school years in CT and even some of my friends were Nerds. Not sure about how to find them in Indy though. My best advice would be to hang out at local libraries and perhaps at college libraries to see if you can make some friends. Another idea would be to check to see if the local colleges and universities have clubs devoted to "nerdy" activities and then enroll, take a class and join the club.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Join "Occupy Indy" Plenty of nerds, hippies, and bearded and unbathed folk.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Join "Occupy Indy" Plenty of nerds, hippies, and bearded and unbathed folk.
like 5 people in that movement LOL
Thats another reason i love Indy
The national occupy movement forgot the nations 11th largest city.
Or maybe its just people in Indianapolis have work to get too instead of sitting around crying about corporations.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
like 5 people in that movement LOL
Thats another reason i love Indy
The national occupy movement forgot the nations 11th largest city.
Or maybe its just people in Indianapolis have work to get too instead of sitting around crying about corporations.
Indys metro area is much lower in the size rankings. We are 11th because of how we set the city limits. Indiana is also conservative so there is less support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis