U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM

75 posts, read 13,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
The reconditioned phone arrived from Texas and I cannot figure out how to transfer the address book and messages still inside my old defective phone. I may have to bring it to another AT&T dealer to see if they can transfer and then erase that data in the phone’s internal memory. It seems as if AT&T is not interested in erasing a customer's personal info and data in a defective phone's internal memory.
If you still have your defective phone, you can transfer the SIM card from it to your “new” reconditioned phone. That’s where your address book and messages are probably stored. If your defective phone happens to have an M5 card (for additional storage, multimedia), you can transfer it too. By transferring your SIM card, you will not only transfer your information, but also secure your defective phone.

BTW, all cell phone companies operate the same. They discount phones by locking customers into carefully worded service contracts. I have AT&T too, only because its towers transmit best to my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,665,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibaschitz View Post
If you still have your defective phone, you can transfer the SIM card from it to your “new” reconditioned phone. That’s where your address book and messages are probably stored. If your defective phone happens to have an M5 card (for additional storage, multimedia), you can transfer it too. By transferring your SIM card, you will not only transfer your information, but also secure your defective phone.

BTW, all cell phone companies operate the same. They discount phones by locking customers into carefully worded service contracts. I have AT&T too, only because its towers transmit best to my house.
I checked and my address book along with other personal info are not on the SIM card that I put into the replacement phone. That info has to be inside internal memory in the defective phone. Need a special cable to make the transfer. Oh the joy of dealing with AT&T!

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-30-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM

55 posts, read 43,534 times
Did you try blue tooth transfer

Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM

75 posts, read 13,083 times
Quote:
I checked and my address book along with other personal info is not on the SIM card that I put into the replacement phone. That info has to be inside internal memory in the defective phone.
I’m not sure what you mean by “internal memory.” Possibly the battery, but probably not. More likely an M5 card, or if none your defective phone may have lost your address book and other personal info, but I certainly hope not.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House23 View Post
Did you try blue tooth transfer
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try that.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I’m not sure what you mean by “internal memory.” Possibly the battery, but probably not. More likely an M5 card, or if none your defective phone may have lost your address book and other personal info, but I certainly hope not.
The AT&T gal at Best Buy says the Pantech Burst Smartphone does have an internal memory beyond the SIM Card. That phone did not come with an SD card. AT&T was too cheap to provide one in its purported $700+ Pantech Smartphone.

I called AT&T's Customer Service yesterday to ask them the retail price of that Pantech Burst Smartphone and they would not tell me. Guess that is AT&T proprietary info. AT&T will only let a customer know in the event the phone gets lost or destroyed. Then it invents an artificially high value.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM

3,902 posts, read 2,759,334 times
I am without my HTC EVO this week because I had to send it in for repair. I bought it at Radio Shack because they have a better insurance plan than Sprint. With Sprint, the insurance was around $9 per month added to the bill, plus a $250 "co-pay" if it ever had to be repaired or replaced, AND they replace with a refurbished phone, not even guaranteed to be the same as the one you purchased.

Radio Shack's insurance is much better: It costs $100 for two years and includes 2 free battery replacements. Batteries are $50 each, so really it is a good deal. No co-pay, either, the only problem is that you are without your phone for the week when you send in your old one to get your replacement.

I had my EVO for about 1 1/2 years, and it stopped working. All I had to do was call Radio Shack and they delivered a prepaid box overnight to send the phone back in. They even cover normal wear and tear, dropping, etc.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I verified that the phone does have an 'internal memory' beyond the SIM Card. Its internal memory is 12+ GBs and that is a bunch. The SIM card only has a tiny memory of approx. 2 MB. Since the screen does not work there is no way to retrieve what is inside its 'internal memory.' I cannot elecrocute the phone to wipe out its internal memory because dear old AT&T would probably charge me $700 to $800 even though it is only a lousy $300+ phone.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-31-2012 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,199,930 times
Quote:
Avoid going to AT&T for anything!
Never trust AT&T. If they had there way they would like to see Verizon, Comcast and DISH go out of business so they can control everything.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM
vzx

16 posts, read 14,467 times
I feel bad for you. Next time never buy a crappy warranty contract with any wireless service provider. I'm sure there are complaint forums about verizon or sprint customers too. My best advice to you is go with SquareTrade warranties. They are an online company, quick estimates, provide accidental damage handling, have minimum co-pay ($50 for iPhone) and prices are reasonable (sometimes even less than the wireless companies themselves).

Read online and you will see that squaretrade has good reviews everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis