Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times

Advertisements

I bought a brand new cell phone from AT&T on February 8, 2012 and it came with a 2 year warranty. I also bought insurance on it since it was so expensive. IT was a Pantech Smart Phone. The other day the screen went out on it and it was totally blank. Therefore I brought it into the AT&T store on East 96th Street in Fishers where I purchased it and they inspected it. Sure enough the screen was dead in less than two months. The sales associate who waited on me said “Don’t worry we’ll take care of you.” I assumed he meant that they would give me a new replacement phone. He went into the back room and came out a few minutes later to say “ There are two ways you can handle this. One submit an insurance claim or two, do a Warranty claim and drive down to East Washington Street.” They wouldn’t even consider giving me a temporary cell phone to use. I had a bunch of business phone calls and text messages I could not even get to.

When I got back home I called AT&T warranty number and the gal, Elizabeth who answered took down my information. I told her that I felt like I got crummy service at the AT&T store where I purchased the phone. Elizabeth said that they should have called AT&T’s warranty number while I was still in their store. Obviously they didn’t. Anyway here is all that AT&T will do for me on a phone that dropped dead in less than 2 months. They will send me a reconditioned phone, not a brand new one.

After less than 2 months, I am going to end up with a reconditioned phone. Isn’t that lovely?

P.S. BY the way if I had submitted an insurance claim on that phone I would have been slapped with a $300 deductible.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-28-2012 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that. That is ridicilous in my opinion!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM

X-Greensboro Resident
It seems like consumers are taking a beating at every turn. Some 2 year Warranty AT&T gives on an expensive Smart Phone. I am going to end up with someone else’s phone that dropped dead and was ‘reconditioned’ in some shed down in Texas.

Avoid going to that AT&T store on East 96th Street in Fishers. Strike that. Avoid going to AT&T for anything!

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM

541 posts, read 860,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Anyway here is all that AT&T will do for me on a phone that dropped dead in less than 2 months. They will send me a reconditioned phone, not a brand new one.

After less than 2 months, I am going to end up with a reconditioned phone. Isn’t that lovely?

P.S. BY the way if I had submitted an insurance claim on that phone I would have been slapped with a $300 deductible.
Hate AT&T. Sorry that happened to you. Had a similar issue with a phone that went dead after a month. Clerk at the AT&T store told me to forget the warranty and just buy a new phone. I guess she didn't want to do the paperwork. Made several calls and it was determined I had to send the phone to the company that made it. Got sent back a reconditioned phone that still had someone's old information on it.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I feel for you. For better or worse, I have to use AT&T because Verizon and Sprint don't work well at my house.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Thanks to everyone for the condolences over the dead smart phone from AT&T. I appreciate it. I ran into a man from Canada last night after I stormed out that AT&T store without any kind of a working phone. Needless to say, the first words out of my mouth were “Whatever you do please don’t buy a phone from AT&T.” He replied “Don’t worry I already cancelled my contract with AT&T and don’t want to have anything to do with them.” LOL He then rambled on about the high cost of medical care here in the US and said that procedures here cost about 10 times what they cost up in Canada. He is returning to Canada after he finishes his training at Roche (the big pharma company here that specializes in glucometers for diabetics, test strips, etc). I couldn’t resist telling him “Well your employer certainly likes to make money” and he admitted that those test strips only cost Roche about 3 cents to make and Roche sells them for a buck each. Maybe I should join him in Canada.

The real rub with those AT&T stores is that they are all about selling and zero about customer service. I am not looking forward to getting a 'reconditioned' smart phone from AT&T. Maybe AT&T is just trying to force me to buy a new one. No way! I'll resort to sending messages by carrier pigeon before AT&T gets any more of my money.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Hate AT&T. Sorry that happened to you. Had a similar issue with a phone that went dead after a month. Clerk at the AT&T store told me to forget the warranty and just buy a new phone. I guess she didn't want to do the paperwork. Made several calls and it was determined I had to send the phone to the company that made it. Got sent back a reconditioned phone that still had someone's old information on it.
Doesn't AT&T have any regard for someone's privacy? Apparently not. I am keeping my SIM card, memory card and battery.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM

129 posts, read 166,482 times
I use Sprint and they have treated me pretty well. I have the Evo 3D and one day the pictures stopped showing up in 3D. So I took my phone into the shop on 82nd street by Jason's Deli. Within an hour they replaced the 3D camera in my phone and it was good as new. All for free since I have the insurance.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
AT&T cell service sucks. We are ditching them in the summer when our contracts are up. I've always had issues with service. I had a first generation Razor phone, and never got service inside a structure for the most part. Wife said she liked her Pantech phone, and I took that for it got a better signal. Well, that wasn't the case. It is a nice phone for texting, mostly because it was a free phone (non-smart phone).

Four people I know have Verizon, three of them are new subscribers. Service is much, much better according to every single one of them. I'll be somewhere and have one bar, they have full bar. One went to Canada and had service, AT&T phone has none almost all through Canada. We are going with Verizon. I know a guy who works for them, and he is always busy checking signal strength around town.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
The reconditioned phone arrived from Texas and I cannot figure out how to transfer the address book and messages still inside my old defective phone. I may have to bring it to another AT&T dealer to see if they can transfer and then erase that data in the phone’s internal memory. It seems as if AT&T is not interested in erasing a customer's personal info and data in a defective phone's internal memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis