Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,043 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband works for the Hyatt Regency and will be relocating to the Hyatt there in Indianapolis. I have been searching countless apartments but all of the areas I see seem to be a far commute for him. We want to live in a safe neighborhood, parks, and easy access to stores etc. Im born and raised here in California, so im excited for a change, however still clueless when it comes to where. We are looking to keep our budget at about $1000, 1-2 bedroom. My husband doesnt want to make his commute farther than 25 min. I have seen a lot about Carmel, and Fishers.. but what are some good websites to find places in the areas that may not be on the mainstream of the good old rent.com. Anything would help thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,484,152 times
if you want little to no commute Downtown Indy would be a good place.
Also wonderful to see another Californian come to Indianapolis Welcome to our city.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,126,660 times
Just about everywhere in the citt is within 25 min. Tons of safe areas in the city. Each township has a regional park with several neighborhood parks so plenty ofof greenspace. If u do not have children i would suggest downtown. U have access to everything from grocery to hardware and dh can walk to work. U aldo have the zoo white rivet state park, the canal, cultural trail, american legion mall for walking.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,043 times
Thank you! I was looking at the downtown apartments, and there is one called Park 16 or something.. the inside is really nice, but prices seem to good to be true! lol.. We don't have any kids yet, just our dog.. whose well under the 25 pound max. I saw the canals and such, however those seem a bit pricey. Also read a comment that there was only 1 grocery store in the whole city so it's really hard to get in and out of??? May be just a personal opinion but still

Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,004,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff0912 View Post
Thank you! I was looking at the downtown apartments, and there is one called Park 16 or something.. the inside is really nice, but prices seem to good to be true! lol.. We don't have any kids yet, just our dog.. whose well under the 25 pound max. I saw the canals and such, however those seem a bit pricey. Also read a comment that there was only 1 grocery store in the whole city so it's really hard to get in and out of??? May be just a personal opinion but still
Huh?

There are dozens of grocery stores in the city, including one downtown (and a second one currently planned downtown)

Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,483,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Welcome to our city.
Our??

Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,004,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Our??
Lol

Old 05-05-2012, 04:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,805,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff0912 View Post
Only one grocery store downtown but plenty of grocery stores in all parts of the city.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,427,104 times
i have lived here 35 years. It is a nice big sized city. Not anything like LA or SF but perhaps a nicer, larger version of Sacramento, which is also a state center.

We have a huge number of grocery stores all around town so the competition keeps prices down. If you like Trader Joes, there are two on the north side. One on the westside on 86th and one on the east side on 86th.

If you live downtown, like I do, the whole city is open to you. We make trips to the north side to shops located there, and go to the southside for a different view. I even check out the Half Price Bookstore on the far west side in Avon.

Downtown has a great Marsh grocery. Very nice staff and a good selection. Just a little way, two exits south on the interstate and still very close, is a Walmart Neighborhood Market. I like to drive up College Ave. to Fresh Market for a gourmet "fix". We have a local smoke house and a very local gourmet store too. Farmers Market is Wed. morning downtown next to the City Market that has a great bakery, Circle City Sweets. We have lots of ethnic markets/supermarkets from Asian to Mexican. One was even just featured in our local paper.

I would summarize by saying we have a little of everything. I do miss big ethnic neighborhoods with the related restaurants but we have a lot of groups and small restarants located all over. It is fun to try and find them. We have sports, theater both national and local, music from classical to modern and all that.

We are quiet and there is perhaps less drama involved in living in Indy. Downtown living can be highrise, lowrise, condo, or single family home all for a lot less money than most areas in CA. Or there are some nice complexes offering more amenities all around Indy. I would NOT be looking to rent in Fishers or Noblesville only due to the drive. Some of my coworkers lived there and there are always horror stories about getting home and to work on bad weather days. Carmel also would be off my list if I was working downtown. I used to go to a gym there in 1990 and the drive finally did us in.

I have made prior suggestions, but it all really depends on what you like and dont like. The apts on 16th and Penn are low cost for a very good reason. No central air as far as I know. Renovated but he did not get the full financing so it was a lower quality renovation. Stay away from Stallard but some of the Van Rooy properties are choice. We have a brand new apartment building going in one block from me. 1010 Central on google should pull it up. They are installing drywall and security systems right now.

I remember the Hyatt in its glory days of the 70s/80s. It was the place to go (few other hotels of its quality) and had interesting stores on the first floor. I dont think I have been in it for 20 years.

I am tired of typing but if you pm me, I can give you more info. Van Rooy properties around 800+ are fine. Beware the cheaper ones as the issues may be location and perhaps safety.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,805,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post

Also wonderful to see another Californian come to Indianapolis Welcome to our city.
Disclaimer: BRG does not live in Indianapolis and has never lived in Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis