Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,382 times

Advertisements

My mind is blown by some of the prices I see on very old and rundown houses on Chicago's South Side. I can buy a very nice middle class home in Fishers for the price of South Side ghetto housing and Fishers doesn't have anything like the crime problem they have in Chicago. If one also factors in schools, Chicago doesn't have any compared to Fishers. Areas like 79th and South Ashland in Chicago were once safe and where the Chicago South Side (Southtown) Irish parade was conducted. Mayor Richard J. Daley himself showed up for those annual parades. Today it is an area where driveby shootings occur on a regular basis.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-25-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
3%, and given my tax bill, local government has just started find this new stream of money to grab from people's pockets. I had $0.00 in personal property last year. Maybe this was the first year they were able to assess personal property...I dunno, but magically they just reduced my home value by the same amount they increased my personal property assessment. So instead of local government only getting 1% on roughly $5,500, they are now getting 3% on that amount. Just wait and see, it is going to get even worse. Wouldn't surprise me if they get BMV records to find cars that are paid off, or even go to find out how much equity folks have in their vehicles. They would love to throw a $10K automobile on that, another $300 out of your pocket and into their pocket.
On what are you being taxed??

Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
My mind is blown by some of the prices I see on very old and rundown houses on Chicago's South Side. I can buy a very nice middle class home in Fishers for the price of South Side ghetto housing and Fishers doesn't have anything like the crime problem they have in Chicago. If one also factors in schools, Chicago doesn't have any compared to Fishers. Areas like 79th and South Ashland in Chicago were once safe and where the Chicago South Side (Southtown) Irish parade was conducted. Mayor Richard J. Daley himself showed up for those annual parades. Today it is an area where driveby shootings occur on a regular basis.
What addresses are you looking at for crying out loud and there is a terrible gang problem on parts of the south side.

Still some safe areas Beverley is a really nice community on the South Side. Very desierable.

Any how this is in Indiana forum and not a inner city south side chicago thread . .

I was really curious if anyone had any knowledge of Indiana taxing personal property like cars , boats , motorcycles , jewlery etc.

Is this in some pending legislation or is this already in the indiana law books and tax codes.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Show me a rundown ghetto house in Chicago that costs more than a house in Fishers.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Cars in Indiana are taxes with what is called an annual excise tax based on value. So decreases over time to around $25. This is in addition to the annual registration fee which is fixed. I dont know about boats and motorcycles but assume they are like cars. Maybe someone else can step in and speak about them.

I have lived (in Indianapolis so I can only speak to it) here for 35 years and not paid or been assessed any other personal property tax as an individual (not a business, corporation, partnership, etc.). Not done any reporting for such either. Not heard any news concerning such a consideration by legislature.

I cannot report on how a business property is assessed.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
What addresses are you looking at for crying out loud and there is a terrible gang problem on parts of the south side.

Still some safe areas Beverley is a really nice community on the South Side. Very desierable.
Plenty of South Side addresses. Too many to list. It is true that Beverly is still holding up and has not gone the way of the ghetto. Mt. Greenwood is also still pretty safe but that is because a lot of cops and firemen live there.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
...If one also factors in schools, Chicago doesn't have any compared to Fishers. Areas like 79th and South Ashland in Chicago were once safe and where the Chicago South Side (Southtown) Irish parade was conducted. Mayor Richard J. Daley himself showed up for those annual parades. Today it is an area where driveby shootings occur on a regular basis...

The problem? "Good" people move away from those places to get away from the "bad". If all the "good" leaves, what is left to fill the void? "Neutral" or "bad", thats what.

The more that "good" people live in "bad" areas, the less area "bad" has to thrive.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Show me a rundown ghetto house in Chicago that costs more than a house in Fishers.
Here is one in Gresham that they are asking $165K for.

8422 South Seeley Chicago IL 60620 $165,000 3 2.0 $1,419 $0 Gresham

Georgian With 3 Bedrooms. Hard To Find In This Area. Basement Recently Finished With A Bath And Dry Bar. Pictures Do This Home No Justice And It's Definitely Bigger On The Inside Than Outside. Seller Works A Hard Schedule So 24-48 Hrs Notice Necessary. More

I am thinking of places in Fishers such as Sandstone Village nears 116th and Brooks School Road. There are also subdivisions further north along Brooks School Road where I can find a nice middle class house for less than the one at 8422 South Seeley in Chicago....Me Ole stomping grounds.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-27-2012 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis