Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,176 times

Advertisements

One of big cheapest city in America ?
Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Because the there is a lot of open land, and no compelling reason for people to move here (coast, water, scenery).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,603,903 times
Maybe because we shun change and new ideas....

Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Maybe because we shun change and new ideas....
lol.............
Na
Our government is fiscally conservative and knows how to live within its means.
Housing market is affordable due to a few things.
First theres an excess supply on the market atm although that is dwindling fast.
2nd Indianapolis can expand in any direction due to being surrounded by cornfields. Very easy to convert farmland to subdivisions.
3rd Indianapolis has a great freeway system that isnt clogged with traffic so its easier to expand the city outward and still have easy access to the downtown core.
Cost of living is low and disposible income is high due to taxes/lower regulations on gasoline. Hence why its only 3.80-3.90 here compared to being over 4.30 in Chicagoland.
When gasoline is cheaper trucking companies can charge less to ship your food to the grocery store. Everythings gotta be shipped by truck

Also Toxic your dead wrong.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Also Toxic your dead wrong.
Am I? Is there a land shortage that I am not privy too? Do tell Mr. South Bend.

Wait, you did:

Quote:
2nd Indianapolis can expand in any direction due to being surrounded by cornfields. Very easy to convert farmland to subdivisions.
Interesting........

Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,405 times
Just curious...

If a truck hauling a trailer full of food that gets 5 mpg stops to fuel in Indy and pays $3.85/gal and drives 100 miles picking up 5,000 articles of food at a warehouse and delivering it to 20 grocery stores in the area, the total fuel cost is $77, or in other words, the cost per article of food is $0.0154.

If a truck hauling a trailer full of food that gets 5 mpg stops to fuel in Chicago and pays $4.30/gal and drives 100 miles picking up 5,000 articles of food at a warehouse and delivering it to 20 grocery stores in the area, the total fuel cost is $86, or in other words, the cost per article of food is $0.0172.

How much do you suppose a store would raise it's prices on each article of food to compensate for the less than one quarter of one cent increase in fuel cost?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
BRG. Actually the cost of housing is low there because there is an ample amount of developable land in the region. The Law of Supply and Demand. This fact is true about most areas of the country where you don't have natural obstacles such as mountains, large hills, lakes etc.

wh15395. I don't think Indy shuns new ideas. Years ago when I first started to contact cities and towns around the country about developing a then new concept for legal, low power broadcast radio and also a Cable FM radio station, Indy was one of the very few places that would talk to me and was open to the idea.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
BRG. Actually the cost of housing is low there because there is an ample amount of developable land in the region. The Law of Supply and Demand. This fact is true about most areas of the country where you don't have natural obstacles such as mountains, large hills, lakes etc.

wh15395. I don't think Indy shuns new ideas. Years ago when I first started to contact cities and towns around the country about developing a then new concept for legal, low power broadcast radio and also a Cable FM radio station, Indy was one of the very few places that would talk to me and was open to the idea.
Exactly what i mean WILWRadio. may of confused someone idk.
But as i pointed out in my previous post Indy is surrounded by convertable farmland into homes.
Chicago has a large lake as an obstacle to expand so hence why real estate is way to expensive there.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,149,514 times
Quote:
Chicago has a large lake as an obstacle to expand so hence why real estate is way to expensive there.

Chicago can always rehab the entire South Side and make a large supply of wonderful homes. Unfortunately, people there won't be able to find many jobs other than selling drugs.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Chicago can always rehab the entire South Side and make a large supply of wonderful homes. Unfortunately, people there won't be able to find many jobs other than selling drugs.
lol very true indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis