U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 AM

133 posts, read 268,949 times
Default Possible move to Crawfordsville, I'm a city girl! lol

Hello, I need some honest info on Crawfordsville, My dad is planning a BIG move there.
I have never been to the midwest before, and always lived in big cities. I'm in late 20s, single, and he is begging me to move there with him temporarily.
He's in his 60's, retired, and is the type that can enjoy living anywhere.
I'm a NYC girl, lived in Manhattan and Jersey most of my life.
Is it multicultural there? Are people there more liberal or conservative?
How are the jobs? Also I'm imagining I would need to have my car there, or is there good public transportation to Indianapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM

5,638 posts, read 5,987,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
Hello, I need some honest info on Crawfordsville, My dad is planning a BIG move there.
I have never been to the midwest before, and always lived in big cities. I'm in late 20s, single, and he is begging me to move there with him temporarily.
How are the jobs? Also I'm imagining I would need to have my car there, or is there good public transportation to Indianapolis?
Crawfordsville is a run-of-the-mill small Midwest community other than being home to a well-regarded, small all-male college (Wabash College). It's not multicultural, nor is it move on.org territory. Amtrak runs only once between the two communities, so a car would be a must. If you make the move, you would need to go into it understanding that Crawfordsville is the antithesis to NYC. Not better, not worse, but very different.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,822,396 times
Quote:
I would recommend having a car there.
Also the area is more conservative but its not overly conservative like the Southern US or Great Plains.
Indianapolis compared to Indiana is more liberal but compared to other US cities is more moderate/conservative.
2nd Crawfordsville is a small town of 15,000 people BUT it does have Wabash College nearby which might help
If you dont want to live in Crawsfordville but want to live close to your dad i would highly recommend Indianapolis. Indianapolis is the largest city in Indiana and is home to a metro of 2M people and has decent nightlife and cultural things although not on the level of NYC *but then again no other city is on the level of NYC in the US*
Indianapolis is a sports city so thats a major bonus if you like sports and a 50% lower cost of living over NYC Your Taxes will drop 35% and we arent a policing city either unlike NYC.
Also keep in mind Indianapolis has the nations most affordable housing market. So affordable buying a house is cheaper then renting. Rent can run around 800$ a month well a new mortgage can be around 700$ depending on a few things.
I would recommend if you want a more NYC style experience then Indianapolis would be better for you and its close to Crawsfordsville too
Also you might of remembered Super Bowl 46 and the New York Giants winning in our city There is already a demand to bring another Super Bowl back to Indianapolis so if your into Football you will definiately love it in Indy
Also Chicago is only a 3 hour drive from Indy too if you need a large city experience for the weekend.
Garmasterb i agree and hence why i think our New York City girl would be better of in Indy.
Indianapolis's Median Home Price is $102,000 and 95% of all homes sold in Indianapolis were within the affordable range of the Median income in Indy of 70,000$.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 05-19-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM

136 posts, read 23,507 times
I heard Nucor Steel was hiring.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,822,396 times
Quote:
any updates or anything?
Would be very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis