U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,822,396 times
Default now even Crains Chicago Business is saying Indy is affordable.

Where would you put your corporate HQ? - In Other News - Crain's Chicago Business

click on the graphic link and heres what it says about Indianapolis: The Lowest Cost Structure of any city in the survey. Which included the top 50 Metro areas in the US
lol as i like to say the Dollar Goes Further in Indianapolis.
Plus the comments are hilarious Jealousy at its finest.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM

3,991 posts, read 3,049,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Where would you put your corporate HQ? - In Other News - Crain's Chicago Business

click on the graphic link and heres what it says about Indianapolis: The Lowest Cost Structure of any city in the survey. Which included the top 50 Metro areas in the US
I agree, the comments are hilarious.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I agree, the comments are hilarious.
Indianapolis is the walmart of cities
oh ya right give me a break.
as i sometimes like to say is Chicagoan the definition of stupid?
there is not such thing as Walmart of cities........
Except that city in Arkansas that is the headquarters of Walmart.
Gotta love Jealous Chicagoans throwing sterotypes out=priceless

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,430,555 times
I swear to God. I knew broadrippleguy posted this before I read the name.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I swear to God. I knew broadrippleguy posted this before I read the name.
is there a reason to swear about it?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 AM

583 posts, read 389,150 times
Quote:

There are a lot of opportunity costs the employees bear in living in Indy. These are detailed well and often here, though to the fury of the regular posters and moderator. It's inaccurate to consider the costs of locating in Indy without considering the opportunity costs the employees will bear.

It's further curious how Texas or Florida didn't beat Indiana, given that both states will allow their employees to earn income absent state income tax and will largely shield their employees from the rigors of Midwestern Winters.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
There are a lot of opportunity costs the employees bear in living in Indy. These are detailed well and often here, though to the fury of the regular posters and moderator. It's inaccurate to consider the costs of locating in Indy without considering the opportunity costs the employees will bear.

It's further curious how Texas or Florida didn't beat Indiana, given that both states will allow their employees to earn income absent state income tax and will largely shield their employees from the rigors of Midwestern Winters.
have to consider that property taxes may be high in Flordia/Texas. Which would offset not having an income tax.
the 3 major taxes Income/Sales/Property should be present in every state. a state which lacks one is going to have either a high sales or property tax to offset it.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 AM

583 posts, read 389,150 times
Quote:
have to consider that property taxes may be high in Flordia/Texas. Which would offset not having an income tax.
Only if someone buys a house.

Quote:
the 3 major taxes Income/Sales/Property should be present in every state. a state which lacks one is going to have either a high sales or property tax to offset it.
Indiana has a massively high sales tax, made all the worse with the two added Colts stadium taxes, giving Indianapolis the highest sales tax in the country.

In Indiana, the homeowners have transferred their property taxes to retail consumers, a cruel act of the rich getting richer on the backs of the poor.

Texas badly beats Indiana in the amount of corporations that have established headquarters there. There must be a reason that the article writer ignored. I rather suspect that he's looking for the best close-to-Chicago alternative so he can run back and get a pizza and a beef when the mood strikes.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 AM

6,725 posts, read 7,496,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post

Indiana has a massively high sales tax, made all the worse with the two added Colts stadium taxes, giving Indianapolis the highest sales tax in the country.
That is not accurate. First, the additional sales tax in Indianapolis is on restaurant food and drink not general purchases. Further, the sales tax rates in Birmingham and Montgomery Alabama are higher at 10%. New Orleans (Orleans Parish) has a general sales tax at 9%.

According to this:

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2012...montgomer.html

Seattle, Chicago, and Glendale AZ are also higher at 9.5%; with Nashville and Memphis TN both coming in above 9% as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM

3,991 posts, read 3,049,744 times
Not everyone values affordable housing as much as some on this forum do. Some people prefer quality of life over housing cost.

This is an interesting ranking of top states for business. Indiana unfortunately ranked 40th in quality of life, but ranked 15th for cost of living.

Taken into consideration also are local attractions, the crime rate, health care, as well as air and water quality.

Other categories include technology and innovation, education, cost of business and economy.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41666600
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis