Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 03:43 PM

23 posts, read 51,042 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I live in Allen, the Dallas version of Fishers or Carmel. We are thinking about relocating to Indy because of family proximity, city size, weather...and I was wondering if someone who have lived in both areas can help us. We went to Carmel last summer for a couple of days and loved it. We have jobs and a house in Dallas and two little girls, we are what you can call "settle", but the idea of Indiana is very attractive and we don't have a lot of affection for Texas.
Anybody have lived in both? any help?
Thanks!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,252,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandoyanez View Post
Hello,
My family and I live in Allen, the Dallas version of Fishers or Carmel. We are thinking about relocating to Indy because of family proximity, city size, weather...and I was wondering if someone who have lived in both areas can help us. We went to Carmel last summer for a couple of days and loved it. We have jobs and a house in Dallas and two little girls, we are what you can call "settle", but the idea of Indiana is very attractive and we don't have a lot of affection for Texas.
Anybody have lived in both? any help?
Thanks!
I am curious...what about the weather in Indianapolis is better than Texas? Usually people move south for the weather, not the other way around.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

8,954 posts, read 17,218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am curious...what about the weather in Indianapolis is better than Texas? Usually people move south for the weather, not the other way around.
It is a matter of preference, and just because the masses think one way does not even make it better. For me, I struggle to think of a place that appeals to me less than Texas does.

Why?

Because I like more moderate summers, and I like snow.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is a matter of preference, and just because the masses think one way does not even make it better. For me, I struggle to think of a place that appeals to me less than Texas does.

Why?

Because I like more moderate summers, and I like snow.
And from what I have been reading around here, you LOVE Indy!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM

8,954 posts, read 17,218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And from what I have been reading around here, you LOVE Indy!
Whether I love Indy or not is of no consequence.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Whether I love Indy or not is of no consequence.
I was just adding to your list of likes...moderate summers, snow. And Indy!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 PM

23 posts, read 51,042 times
Exactly. moderate summers (Dallas is HOT from June to September) and some snow in winter, but not extreme. As well as smaller size, some friends and family closer. Thats the idea

Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,651,202 times
TT is pretty fair on Indy ... Don't be harsh. He's not extreme.

Yes, you will have four seasons and if being closer to family is a priority, then I say welcome to Indiana.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 21,317 times
Default Dallas vs Indy

My family (including two young girls) moved to Zionsville from Arlington, Tx a little over a year and a half ago. So, perhaps I am qualified to give you the answer you're looking for.

Pros for Moving to Indy

Weather: We love the weather! Fall is gorgeous, and summers are so nice that we can be outside. Imagine that! Summers in Texas were either spent inside with the A/C on, or outside if we were at a friend's pool.

Size: I see Indy much like San Antonio. It's a big city, but not too big. So, there are definite upsides to this move. And, Carmel is a great location for access to so many things. You are in a great suburb, and not far from downtown and all things cultural in the city.

Now, for the 'con' side of the debate.

The kids' adjustment:Our girls were in Kinder and 2nd grade when we moved. My older daughter has had the most difficult time in the transition. She is extremely shy, and this has made it difficult for her to truly adjust and settle in. Plus, they attended a very small private school in Texas, and we are in ZCS public schools now. The academics are exceptional. I have no complaints there. But, it's just the transition from a small environment to a large one, classes of 15 to classes of 25-30. For a shy kid, that's huge. If your girls are not as settled, this may not be an issue. But, I wanted to share our experience to prepare you for the possibilities. I have had moments in the last year and a half in which I wished we hadn't made the move, only because of the struggles I have seen in my daughter. I am hoping that time will help with the adjustment.

Friends and Support: We had no family or friends in this area. We moved for my husband's job. We had a wonderful network of friends in Arlington, and that made the adjustment difficult for us. I hadn't realized what a rare thing we had until we left it. But, if you already have that network of family and/or friends here, that is a huge step in the right direction.

So, depending on how you think you and your children will adjust, it's a move worth considering for the very perks you've seen during your visits.

Good luck with the decision-making process.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,004,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
TT is pretty fair on Indy ... Don't be harsh. He's not extreme.

Yes, you will have four seasons and if being closer to family is a priority, then I say welcome to Indiana.
He's not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis