Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
I will agree that Madison Avenue north of Hanna is a bit rough. But over around Meridian Street, it's a pretty stable, middle class area all the way up to the boundary (Troy).

But to say that areas like Banta, Homecroft, Murphy's Landing, Southern Oaks, or for that matter, the area south of Beech Grove, is good in just pockets? Balderdash! Even the area around Stop 11 and Madison, with a huge immigrant population, is quite poor but those Burmese families seem to have a certain self-respect you don't typically see in poor areas: no trash, no graffiti, no evidence of gangbanging, and you don't feel unsafe walking around there...just saying. I have family friends who live in an area west of Homecroft--the idea that it is rough seems ludicrous. Or maybe it is just one of those pockets you're talking about?

By most other cities' standards, there would be nothing like "a large influx" anywhere in PT. Even the "rougher parts" south of Garfield Park are not areas you read about in the paper for crime all that much.
Have you ever lived at Stop 11 & Madison? I have and it's not. No gangbangers, dude that you are just flat out wrong about. If you do not think there are parts of Perry that aren't spotty even south, check out the IMPD crime tracker.

Last edited by msamhunter; 07-16-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 AM

423 posts, read 1,247,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Have you ever lived at Stop 11 & Madison? I have and it's not. No gangbangers, dude that you are just flat out wrong about. If you do not think there are parts of Perry that aren't spotty even south, check out the IMPD crime tracker.
Gosh, I know Stop 11 and Madison really well because I grew up about a mile away and still come back regularly to see it. Sure, it's changed, but I can't tell what you're saying here--are you suggesting the previous poster is wrong b/c there ARE lots of gangbangers, or are you saying that there are not many?

Either way, sure, the area has evolved...a little. It's not 99% white like it was in the 1980s. Not by a long shot. But unsafe? No, I don't see much evidence of that--no bars on windows, no ugly little chain linked fences in the front yard (never a good sign if the front yard has a fence, and a gated one at that). And yes, I checked the crime tracker, and it still seemed like everywhere south of I-465 was pretty safe compared to north of I-465. Sure, apartment complexes had a few more police reports, and the east side of Perry Twp like Stop 11/Madison has a lot of apartments (which is probably why it has a lot of immigrants). But the only way I'd call it "spotty" is if your using something like Carmel as a benchmark. The vast majority of Perry Twp is still safe, and the IMPD crime tracker supports this. And hasn't even Carmel had a rash of break-ins lately?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Gosh, I know Stop 11 and Madison really well because I grew up about a mile away and still come back regularly to see it. Sure, it's changed, but I can't tell what you're saying here--are you suggesting the previous poster is wrong b/c there ARE lots of gangbangers, or are you saying that there are not many?

Either way, sure, the area has evolved...a little. It's not 99% white like it was in the 1980s. Not by a long shot. But unsafe? No, I don't see much evidence of that--no bars on windows, no ugly little chain linked fences in the front yard (never a good sign if the front yard has a fence, and a gated one at that). And yes, I checked the crime tracker, and it still seemed like everywhere south of I-465 was pretty safe compared to north of I-465. Sure, apartment complexes had a few more police reports, and the east side of Perry Twp like Stop 11/Madison has a lot of apartments (which is probably why it has a lot of immigrants). But the only way I'd call it "spotty" is if your using something like Carmel as a benchmark. The vast majority of Perry Twp is still safe, and the IMPD crime tracker supports this. And hasn't even Carmel had a rash of break-ins lately?
IMPD runs to stop 11 & madison area are pretty common nowadays and have been for a couple of years esp. around Bexely Village apartments and the complex right across the street behind that phillips 66 gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis