Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Blowing smoke up you know what! So now Naptown has gotten a big head and think they're in the top tier of cities now . The NFL did it because WE the taxpayers built a new stadium for the rich owner, so that the NFL can use.

I will BOLDLY proclaim that we will NOT get it. If for some reason we do (we won't) I'll come back on here and say how wrong I was. Hold me to it. But what do I get for being right??
Well seeing how you were wrong last time, I'll go the opposite way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well seeing how you were wrong last time, I'll go the opposite way.
O K A Y

Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Blowing smoke up you know what! So now Naptown has gotten a big head and think they're in the top tier of cities now . The NFL did it because WE the taxpayers built a new stadium for the rich owner, so that the NFL can use.

I will BOLDLY proclaim that we will NOT get it. If for some reason we do (we won't) I'll come back on here and say how wrong I was. Hold me to it. But what do I get for being right??
You dedicated the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl telling us what a disaster the Super Bowl would be, and how much the national media would rip Indy a new one.

Guess what, you were wrong, and no one cares. Keep hating.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Well I believe rain is an ancient sign of good luck. Anybody else dance in the pouring streets downtown today?

Good lucky Indy.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I am fairly certain that Indy will get at least one more Super Bowl. But beyond that will depend on the weather.

If there is a bad ice storm, like we had in 2011 during Super Bowl week that will probably be the end of it. Even a major snowfall will put a damper on Super Bowl week activities. It doesn't matter how well prepared Indy is, bad weather would take the fun out the week's activities.

If by some chance we would have the unseasonably warm temperatures that we had this year, I think Indy stands a good chance of getting on the regular rotation.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I am fairly certain that Indy will get at least one more Super Bowl. But beyond that will depend on the weather.

If there is a bad ice storm, like we had in 2011 during Super Bowl week that will probably be the end of it. Even a major snowfall will put a damper on Super Bowl week activities. It doesn't matter how well prepared Indy is, bad weather would take the fun out the week's activities.

If by some chance we would have the unseasonably warm temperatures that we had this year, I think Indy stands a good chance of getting on the regular rotation.

well then by god by that streach PRAY FOR GLOBAL WARMING! lol.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well according to the IBJ article the city produced a direct economic impact of $176 million and 277 million once you factor in extra wages. For the city to be out 1.1 million in producing and putting on the SB that's one hell of a benefit to the city and on the surface anyway, some of the best advertising dollars one could ever spend to reap such that high of a reward.

Look at it as an investment. Cities need to invest in themselves which yes will always cost money. Hoosiers in general balk at anything tax related as with most places but moreso in Indiana than anywhere else. At the end of the day though, you have to spend money to make it.
The problem is what is done with the money afterwards, and how things are spent. The Irsay contract is a horrible contract. The city and/or state should be getting more from the stadium. I have no problems with avoidable taxes. The Irsay/Simon/Convention center taxes can easily be avoided by either not eating out, or deducting 2% from the tip one would leave. The goal should be maximize profits for the government, which in theory is the people at large. Most of the income made should be focused on paying down debt used to fund the project. Once the debt is paid off, then use the money for streets, police, fire, etc.. It shouldn't be maximized profits for a handful of folks (billionaire sport team owners, the players themselves, etc.).

As far as these direct economic impact statements, there really is no way to know if they are really all that truthful. They focus on just the good, but not the bad. Thousands of people from outside the metro area came to Indy and most likely did spend money eating out. However, while that is a positive for the place they ate at downtown, it is a negative for the place they likely, or may have, eaten at back home but didn't. The server who is used to seeing a $60s in tips from a handful of different families every weekend in Columbus might disagree when that $60s went to servers in downtown Indy.

Quote:
The NFL did it because WE the taxpayers built a new stadium for the rich owner, so that the NFL can use.

While the Super Bowl did very well here, lets face it, we got lucky when it came to the weather. We got the Super Bowl because we built a stadium, and the NFL wants taxpayer money to build these very costly venues. The NFL will have to allow a snow belt cities a Super Bowl at least once every 10-15 years. Any snow belt cities with enclosed stadiums will likely have a better chance than open air stadiums. It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of 3:1 or 4:1 rotation. Three sunshine locations in a row, then one snow location. Or four sunshine locations, then the next year snow.

Minnesota is going to get their new stadium, so their taxpayers and elected officials are going to be putting huge pressure to get a Super Bowl within a few years of it opening up. If the NFL wants taxpayers to continue building billion dollar Taj Mahals for the team owners, they are going to have to share where the Super Bowl is held. Indy will be in a rotation, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a 15-20 year rotation.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The problem is what is done with the money afterwards, and how things are spent. The Irsay contract is a horrible contract. The city and/or state should be getting more from the stadium. I have no problems with avoidable taxes. The Irsay/Simon/Convention center taxes can easily be avoided by either not eating out, or deducting 2% from the tip one would leave. The goal should be maximize profits for the government, which in theory is the people at large. Most of the income made should be focused on paying down debt used to fund the project. Once the debt is paid off, then use the money for streets, police, fire, etc.. It shouldn't be maximized profits for a handful of folks (billionaire sport team owners, the players themselves, etc.).

As far as these direct economic impact statements, there really is no way to know if they are really all that truthful. They focus on just the good, but not the bad. Thousands of people from outside the metro area came to Indy and most likely did spend money eating out. However, while that is a positive for the place they ate at downtown, it is a negative for the place they likely, or may have, eaten at back home but didn't. The server who is used to seeing a $60s in tips from a handful of different families every weekend in Columbus might disagree when that $60s went to servers in downtown Indy.
A city never makes a profit. Its income is based on the taxes it receives. If its business owners and taxpayers do good, the city receives more and thereby have more additional income. When the taxpayers and business owners do better, they pay more in state taxes. Again, it trickles down to more income to the cities. It is in the city's best interest to provide as much opportunity as possible to any business or person. It can only help create feasible conditions and then it's up to the individuals or entities to do the rest.

Your analogy about the servers is moot. So what. It's not Indianapolis' job to make sure Columbus or anywhere else continues to do business just like it isn't that places' job to make sure Indianapolis does. They are competitors and if the shoe were on the other foot, you better believe they wouldn't be thinking of Indianapolis. Plus Columbus is a poor example because it is within that 50 mile radius of Indianapolis and actually did see benefit. The economic impact is from outside that radius. Bad for them, good for us. Life just happens like that sometimes so which side would you rather be on. The one getting or the one losing? It's that simple.

I know you guys like the whole everything be fair bit, but fact remains it's not, has never been and will never be. You'll win some, you'll lose some, take your licks and keep on keepin on.

Quote:
While the Super Bowl did very well here, lets face it, we got lucky when it came to the weather. We got the Super Bowl because we built a stadium, and the NFL wants taxpayer money to build these very costly venues. The NFL will have to allow a snow belt cities a Super Bowl at least once every 10-15 years. Any snow belt cities with enclosed stadiums will likely have a better chance than open air stadiums. It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of 3:1 or 4:1 rotation. Three sunshine locations in a row, then one snow location. Or four sunshine locations, then the next year snow.

Minnesota is going to get their new stadium, so their taxpayers and elected officials are going to be putting huge pressure to get a Super Bowl within a few years of it opening up. If the NFL wants taxpayers to continue building billion dollar Taj Mahals for the team owners, they are going to have to share where the Super Bowl is held. Indy will be in a rotation, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a 15-20 year rotation.
Well, no one know what would have happened if it would have been a typical Indianapolis winter. They were both East Coast teams and used to the same winters as we have here. Odds are, nothing would have changed. The residents here would have still went out and enjoyed themselves and the east coasters still would have visited. If weather was always such a fact, why have the winter olympics. It's too cold right. Yes, this winter was mild, year before that unexpected ice storm for the Big D. Two atypical situations.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Nice blog from the IBJ highlighting some of the hurdles facing Indianapolis and another Super Bowl bid.

Stadium size, hotel space to be issue for 2018 Super Bowl bid | 2012-07-19 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Nice blog from the IBJ highlighting some of the hurdles facing Indianapolis and another Super Bowl bid.

Stadium size, hotel space to be issue for 2018 Super Bowl bid | 2012-07-19 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com
Thanks for the link, interesting article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis