Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 AM

32 posts, read 215,574 times

Advertisements

My company has locations around the country and I have the option of having a relative say in where I live out of their 46 options... one of them is Indianapolis. So... what is there to like and dislike about living in this area?

I'm trying to narrow down my options--I'm fresh out of college, ready to experience the world, and really open-minded so I'm letting every place be on the table. I am single, female, am not particularly needy at this point. I have a dog and like outdoorsy stuff but what's most important to me is having stuff to do (cultural events, places to go, trails to hike, classes to take, etc) and most most important is having the community be welcoming. I'm very social and make friends easily but I've lived in places where the culture encourages being more isolated--that is not for me!

SO... how does Indianapolis do in that regard? What are summers like? Anything else you can tell me that'll help me make or break this on my list? I have lived in very very poor areas of the country and very rich areas of the country--I'm adaptable. Like I said, the community is the most important, crime rates and quality of my living space is relative to what I can do and who I can do it with. I can always move again to a better area once I get a feel for the place. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Yound and vibrant friend of ours in her early 20s had no problems with job or educational opportunities but had a very hard time with the social atmosphere of Indy. She ended up moving back to PA and works for Merck. Loves where she is now.

It would be easier if we knew where we were being compared to to comment on differences/similarities.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:09 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Flower View Post
My company has locations around the country and I have the option of having a relative say in where I live out of their 46 options
Post the list.

One more thing, you say you're Italian. That's fine, but recognize what Indy is and isn't. If you're East Coast Italian, all competitive and pushy with East Coast ways of looking at things, you'll have a very narrow range of acceptance in Indy, and you probably won't like it too much here. If you're Midwestern Italian, from places like Chicago or St. Louis, you'll probably like Indy well enough.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Indianapolis has the lowest cost of living of any major city. Also the nations most affordable housing market and 80% of the US population is within a days drive of Indy. Not to mention all the local sports offered by the city.
and mind what Greg said cause thats not true.
youll be fine in Indianapolis. just be open minded and civilized to people and youll make plenty of friends

Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis has the lowest cost of living of any major city. Also the nations most affordable housing market and 80% of the US population is within a days drive of Indy. Not to mention all the local sports offered by the city.
and mind what Greg said cause thats not true.
youll be fine in Indianapolis. just be open minded and civilized to people and youll make plenty of friends
Truly, you are the least insightful poster on CD. Worse, you know very little about living in Indianapolis, yet you abundantly opine about it. Please get some life experience so that what you say will be relevant and useful to at least one other person.

Also, if you would have researched the matter, you'd have discovered that she posted this exact question in the forums of over 20 cities, so I doubt she's earnestly awaiting an answer from the Indianapolis folks.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Truly, you are the least insightful poster on CD. Worse, you know very little about living in Indianapolis, yet you abundantly opine about it. Please get some life experience so that what you say will be relevant and useful to at least one other person.

Also, if you would have researched the matter, you'd have discovered that she posted this exact question in the forums of over 20 cities, so I doubt she's earnestly awaiting an answer from the Indianapolis folks.
well #1 you live in California so i have to lol @ this whole post.
2nd read the TOS. i think it says no personal attacks.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
My company has locations around the country and I have the option of having a relative say in where I live out of their 46 options... one of them is Indianapolis. So... what is there to like and dislike about living in this area?

I'm trying to narrow down my options--I'm fresh out of college, ready to experience the world, and really open-minded so I'm letting every place be on the table. I am single, female, am not particularly needy at this point. I have a dog and like outdoorsy stuff but what's most important to me is having stuff to do (cultural events, places to go, trails to hike, classes to take, etc) and most most important is having the community be welcoming. I'm very social and make friends easily but I've lived in places where the culture encourages being more isolated--that is not for me!

SO... how does Indianapolis do in that regard? What are summers like? Anything else you can tell me that'll help me make or break this on my list? I have lived in very very poor areas of the country and very rich areas of the country--I'm adaptable. Like I said, the community is the most important, crime rates and quality of my living space is relative to what I can do and who I can do it with. I can always move again to a better area once I get a feel for the place. Thank you so much!
Indy itself people are very friendly and if you leep it 100 you'll be fine. I gasp do agree with greg, if you're pushy east coast in ur face type you will have a very hard time here. Spunds like ur more laid back so on that aspect, should do just fine. There should be plenty of things for a 20's female. A lot of fests, clubs to hit up.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
well #1 you live in California so i have to lol @ this whole post.
2nd read the TOS. i think it says no personal attacks.
How are you raised? You really think you're entitled to do anything you want, and everyone else is supposed to indulge you. Your pappy needs to take a switch to you, and good, before you what you are sticks and you can't be changed.

Are you really going to cry for help every time you start a fight? The real world doesn't work like a heavily moderated internet forum. You have some hard learning ahead of you.

When you say "and mind what Greg said cause thats not true," 1) you're wrong; 2) you're grammatically incorrect, 3) you're picking a fight, and 4) you're neither useful nor helpful. You know so little about Indy and living in Indy. Seemingly everything you "know" is drawn from a press release or news story. You ever spent time in the company of men in Indianapolis, seeing how they work and do business? You ever traded in Indianapolis? You ever attended church in Indianapolis? You ever worked in Indianapolis? Start sitting some of these threads out.

Lord, I don't know what ever caused you to think you have the run of this place.

Ponder what I said earlier: to whom are your comments helpful? You know so little about Indianapolis, as you have never lived there as an adult, nor have you lived in several other cities as an adult, so you have little to offer other adults regarding the details and differences of living in any city specifically or comparatively.

You speak from generalizations, and your comments are so obviously hollow and canned platitudes.

People are making expensive, real-life choices based, in part, on what is posted here. Do you truly think you're qualified to speak to other adults on such weighty matters? Indy cheerleading is fun for you, because you have an axe to grind against a few other cities, but when someone spends thousands of dollars to move and severs business and personal ties in former cities, such a person deserves advice from someone who's at least a bit seasoned on such subjects.

Ride the pine for a while.

Last edited by GregHenry; 08-12-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indy itself people are very friendly and if you leep it 100 you'll be fine. I gasp do agree with greg, if you're pushy east coast in ur face type you will have a very hard time here. Spunds like ur more laid back so on that aspect, should do just fine. There should be plenty of things for a 20's female. A lot of fests, clubs to hit up.
odds are someone thats in the east coast and i hope they realize this their attitude is an east coast only mentality. take it somewhere else and youll get slapped.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:

Outdoorsy stuff, we have that here. I guess that depends on how much you can get out of the generally flat terrain.

As far as stuff to do, Indianapolis holds its own against cities in its class. If you come to Indianapolis expecting Boston or Chicago type atmosphere, you are going to be very disappointed. I bring that up, because your post makes no mention of where you are coming from and what your worldview is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis