Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 PM

85 posts, read 216,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Wow.

July was the warmest month ON RECORD in the ENTIRE UNITED STATES.

There is a drought, unlike those ever seen, happening all over the country.

Wake up.
Okay then, thanks for the unnecessary obnoxious attitude. Are you assuming I don't live in the United States? I stated that I've lived my entire life in MN, WI and IL, states not too far from IN. While this was a very hot summer in MN it is actually greener than most years.

In addition, I drove cross country a couple weeks ago from MN out to the East Coast, by a northern route on the way out and a slightly more southern route on the way back taking me through Indianapolis. So I got to see a huge sampling of the entire Midwest and Northeast/New England. All those areas were orders of magnitude more green than Indianapolis, where I saw entire city parks seemingly without a single green blade of grass.

I like greenery and trees so was just wondering if Indiana is more similar to Wisconsin or, say Oklahoma in terms of arid summer climate. I assumed the former, but was left wondering after my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
Okay then, thanks for the unnecessary obnoxious attitude. Are you assuming I don't live in the United States? I stated that I've lived my entire life in MN, WI and IL, states not too far from IN. While this was a very hot summer in MN it is actually greener than most years.

In addition, I drove cross country a couple weeks ago from MN out to the East Coast, by a northern route on the way out and a slightly more southern route on the way back taking me through Indianapolis. So I got to see a huge sampling of the entire Midwest and Northeast/New England. All those areas were orders of magnitude more green than Indianapolis, where I saw entire city parks seemingly without a single green blade of grass.

I like greenery and trees so was just wondering if Indiana is more similar to Wisconsin or, sa y Oklahoma in terms of arid summer climate. I assumed the former, but was left wondering after my visit.

Indiana is as green as MN, WI and IL but unfortunately the Hoosier state is experiencing an unusually rare dry spell. According to the USDA drought designation counties map more than 75 percent of the continental United States is experiencing drought conditions. Dadr I'm not trying to be disrespectful but you make it appear as if Indiana is the Mojave Desert of the Midwest which of course is an error in fact. During your cross country drive you must have either been completely blindfolded or bypassed the 23 drought-stricken counties across southern Wisconsin that USDA declared as natural disaster areas, making farms in those areas eligible for low-interest emergency loans. In Illinois, 98 of its 102 counties are part of this disaster area, with Cook, DuPage, Kane and Will counties not part of the designation. 79 of 99 Iowa counties have the drought disaster area designation. Missouri is experiencing the most severe drought conditions; 99 percent of the state's pastures, 84 percent of its corn crop and 78 percent of its soybeans are rated poor to very poor. Eighty-two counties in Kansas are drought disaster areas. 116 counties in Kentucky have the drought disaster area designation. All counties in Nebraska are on the drought disaster list. To date, USDA has designated 1,792 counties as disaster areas—1,670 due to drought. Once again I want to reiterate that I’m not spitting venom but just pointing out that Indiana isn’t the only cornbelt state that is experiencing these unfortunate harsh drought conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis