Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 12,270 times

Advertisements

More than diversity, its the quality of education I am more concerned with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 AM

anymore feedback on clark pleasant schools is appreciated.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
have you looked at the dept. of education's website??

Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM

yeah, i looked at that and great schools.org

basically from the data and greatschools rating, CG has a 9/10 CP has a 8/10 and Greenwood schools have a 7/10. i am just wondering if thats really true.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
it's not the ratings, but the comments ... I always read those rather than the rating.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM

218 posts, read 462,662 times
I've been to that subdivison once. My friends have a dog and there's a pretty nice park/forest preserve in the middle of Homecoming, with a great dog park. Homes are large and look of average construction quality--not great, not bad.

I don't know about the "old style Indiana thinking" when it comes to the school district, but the Mayor of Greenwood has been welcoming the diversity, and that subdivision has a very large concentration of Sikhs. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the homeowners are Sikh, and there are also some African American, Hispanic, other Asians. It seems like a safe, diverse area, and the park in the middle (with a playground) is a big plus. There's still plenty of room for it to grow, too. Also, there's a smaller sub-section with a bunch of "active adult" housing or so it would seem, which makes for a nice contrast from the more family-oriented main section of the subdivision.

The negatives I can think of is that its sort of isolated on the other side of I-65 from the rest of Greenwood. The City has installed some sidewalks and jogging trails, but they are inconsistent. I also noticed it is seriously lacking in lighting on the streets around there, but that's something you could petition to change. A lot of trucking and warehouses sit to the west of the subdivision, but that shouldn't be a problem--it just means there's not much in the way of shopping close by. You'd have to get in a car. But even then, the retail on the other side of I-65 is abundant, and that's probably no more than a 5-6 minute drive. And eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if other neighborhoods start to pop up around Homecoming, and maybe then it won't feel so removed.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. I drove around the community over the weekend and found it pretty peaceful,away from city buzz, yet is only 5min drive to all the retail.I work in downtown,so this is a much less drive 10-15min and I don't think I wil have the same commute time on the center grove area. I found lot of construction taking place, 5-6 homes currently being built.I remember driving across a street completely empty 4-5 months ago, now its full of houses.I think many are buying there. The sales guy for Ryan homes says,it's their best selling community in the entire Indy area. So if Clark pleasant schools are good,may be next to center grove or as good as them,that would help me make a decision

Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
The difference between school districts at some point becomes insignificant. The education your kids receive isn't up to the schools. It's up to you. Test scores are not everything. We're not talking about a poor city school versus a wealthy suburban school. You're asking about two suburban school districts.

When we moved our kids were in grade school. We ended up purchasing in an area with a "middling" grade school for our district. I also recognized that about 1/3 of the kids were economically disadvantaged. My kids did great because my H and I made their education a priority. That means making sure they always have books to read, do homework, volunteering at school, meeting their teachers, etc. That "middling" school is now one of two four star schools in our district btw. What exists today may not exist tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
I have a family member who is a former school board member for Clark-Pleasant. They have lived in the area going on 30 years, and all of their children attended CP schools.

While there were some initial issues with assimilation for some of the ethnic groups that moved into the area, it has done a lot to improve the district. There are are a wealth of educational resources in CP now as a result of expansion and demands by the residents, so I would say that you should have no qualms about sending your children to CP schools.

The most important thing is your involvement with your child's education. Statistics show that the more parental involvement, the more successful the student is. And the socioeconomic status of the school and area does little to affect the results.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis