Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Indianapolis area - hubby is already there. We have children - middle school and high school age, so for this reason we have ruled out living in one of the more historic downtown areas.
I love the idea of being able to walk/bike to local shops, restaurants, etc. I have lived in neighborhoods like this in the past. Are there neighborhoods within walking distance of the A&D District. Is the A&D district a vibrant area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,590,113 times
I would not describe it as a vibrant area yet, but it is heading in that direction. There are restaurants and shops to walk to, but it still lacks a convenience or grocery store and many other daily needs. With that said, it would be a very quick drive to those stores or a fairly quick bike ride. Plus, the kids you have in high school could easily walk to the school and the public library. For Indianapolis standards, Carmel's Arts District is probably the 4th most vibrant area after Downtown, Fountain Square, and Broad Ripple. It's a great place to live and only getting bigger, so buying a house in the neighborhoods surrounding it would most likely make you money if you sold it a few years later.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM

3,394 posts, read 3,428,749 times
The a&d district in carmel has a butcher shop and theres a yr round famers maket a mile down rangeline at rangeline and city center. It is a older neighborhood but the nightlife in carmel a&d is growing.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 PM

Thank you so much for the information. If I am doing online searches for available homes for sale in this area, are there certain neighborhoods or streets I should be looking for? Any I should stay away from?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,804,532 times
There is a Kroger, Walgreens, Ace Hardware, bank and many restaurants just a few blocks away from tbe A&D district.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,804,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltoakgirl View Post
Thank you so much for the information. If I am doing online searches for available homes for sale in this area, are there certain neighborhoods or streets I should be looking for? Any I should stay away from?
Any street or neighborhood in Carmel will be fine. If you are interested in a townhouse there are beautiful, recently built ones downtown. They are convenient to everything, a great location. Take a walk or drive through downtown Carmel any evening of the week and you will see a thriving, vibrant area where you can walk after dark without some of the safety concerns you will find in other areas.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 AM

3,394 posts, read 3,428,749 times
Oh and carmel police are everywhere... Do not speed in carmel ever!! If its 35... Dont do more than 40...

Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Thank you for all the information thus far.

That said, I am trying to figure out where we should be looking for homes that will give us the ability to walk/bike, if we choose, to City Center or Arts and Design District from our home for a bite to eat, glass of wine, boutique shopping, etc. I love the idea of the City Center and Arts District and being in between both. Are their certain neighborhoods or street names I should be looking for? I am not necessarily looking for a new build home/condo/townhouse, although I am not necessarily opposed. However, the idea of being able to buy into an area before it is the "it" place to be is appealing from a financial standpoint. I like the idea of something that will increase in value as the area becomes more popular. I have seen how revitalization projects like this can really transform an older area of town and it is really an exciting thing to be a part of!! I don't mind a home that needs a remodel, I just need a neighborhood/home that has potential at a good price to factor in a renovation.

I would really appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,203 times
My husband and I rented there back when it was just known as "Old Town Carmel", almost 10 years ago. We were in the numbered streets NE, and it was a nice mix of families and quiet renters. The houses are definitely smaller than many you'll find in the newer subdivisions, but I loved the character of the neighborhood. Even back then, we felt like there was enough to do. It was fantastic to walk to the library or restaurants. You are also really close to the Monon Trail, which we rode the 1.5 miles to the then-brand-new Clay Terrace mall. You referred to this as a "revitalization" project...I wouldn't even go that far. It was a cute little neighborhood to start with, now just more people will know about it, and there will be more things to do. I think you'll make a good choice by moving there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis