Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

174 posts, read 528,651 times

Advertisements

You are exactly right, Toxic Toast. I have been approched many times and I always just tell the person where the nearest shelter or soup kitchen is located. Of course, that is never what they want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

I'm never really sure if these people and their stories are true or not. After finding many of them to be liars telling falsehoods, I immediately began to distrust all of them. There are homeless shelters in Indianapolis. There are programs and people who work to help homeless or struggling people get back on their feet. Food stamps and welfare exist for a reason. If you've hit rock bottom and still can't survive off of food stamps, welfare, unemployment, what have you, then you're probably living beyond your means.
I have worked in downtown Indy for 5 years, and often walk on my lunch break. I see some of the same people with different signs in different locations on different days. There are scammers, and there are those who are truly homeless or in need.

I also work as a volunteer server at a few of the homeless shelters. I know that ANYONE can walk in and get a free hot meal during meal hours. There are some shelters that serve meals to men only and some shelters serve women and children. The meals are well balanced, each has two vegetables, meat, bread, fruit and dessert.

Mostly I serve in one of the men's shelters. The clients are treated very respectfully, there is a nice dining area, and the food is hot and fresh. They are offered clean clothes and a hot shower before the meal.

Don't give to the panhandlers, donate to the mission kitchens and shelters.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 AM

406 posts, read 1,039,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Would that get rid of the people at Keystone and 86th Street? There is ALWAYS someone there.
I don't care much about the ones who stand quietly at intersections. A couple of days ago I was approached by a nicely dressed older gentleman, he gave me a piece of paper that said he was deaf and wanted money to support his family, I waved him away. Also, I don't like the aggressive ones who make up stories about needing $10 for gas because they're stranded in Indy and need to get to Boston or somewhere. I noticed the ones in downtown tend to be more aggressive than the ones who stand at keystone and 86th.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times

Is this a pan handler? Or does he only become one if he makes up a story and asks for money? Indianapolis does have a real problem with these types of people loitering around the downtown area.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
As the Dionne Warwick song goes, "Walk on By". If a panhandler dares to confront me after I say "no thanks", then the pepper spray comes out.

Whining about pan handlers is like complaining about stray cats after you leave food out for them.

Don't engage and they will go away. If a pan handler knows they won't "get fed", they move along.

I remember when I lived in downtown Chicago, there was a guy that was literally, laying on a street corner with a cup in his hand. All you saw was the cup up in the air. This lady walked by and was aghast at his condition and offered him her cup of pop. A burly dude came out of the alley and admonished her ... they were team! I laughed and crossed the street. Again, don't engage!

Last edited by domergurl; 03-10-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Is this a pan handler? Or does he only become one if he makes up a story and asks for money? Indianapolis does have a real problem with these types of people loitering around the downtown area.
who cares? Ignore.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM

486 posts, read 863,205 times
Desperate people do desperate things. Pan handling is nothing new especially in cities. I don't feel threatened by them
but I wouldn't advise anyone to argue with someone either. You'd be taking a risk that one day you might confront
a person who can be violent.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
I wouldn't advise anyone to argue with someone either. You'd be taking a risk that one day you might confront
a person who can be violent.
That's very important. Just ignore them, who knows what drugs they're on, or if they hear "voices". I know for a fact that some of them carry machetes or similar weapons hidden in their clothes. I really don't see why panhandling shouldn't be banned in all its forms.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 PM

38 posts, read 57,784 times
I live in L.A., and one certainly has to quickly develop a game plan for dealing with panhandlers around here. I've found that the best thing to do is to say no, but in a polite manor. I usually just keep walking, smile and say "Sorry, not today" or "No thank you," and they don't bother me. Even then, situations can arise, but they'll usually just move on.

About 10 years ago, I was coming right out of work onto Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, and an approximately 6'6" guy listening to his Walkman, who was pretty intimidating, asked me for a dollar, and I politely said no. Well, he followed me, continually harassing me about it, until finally I stopped and let my judgement get the best of me and said, "Sure, I'll give you a dollar for your Walkman." That didn't go over well with him, and he got in my face, cursing about my "momma" and whatnot, and I nearly had to have a street fight with this guy, but he thankfully backed down. I've kept it civil ever since.

On the other hand, there was an old guy named "Sammy" in a wheelchair that was clearly on the tail end of his life, and he was always in the same place on my walk home from the grocery. He was largely incoherent and had mental issues, so my roommate and I would frequently give him food and drinks from our grocery bags. It's tough, because the homeless out here are a mixture of con artists, mentally disabled, and good people down on their luck, so it does pull at your heart strings from time to time, but the safest thing is to just say no politely and move on.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post

On the other hand, there was an old guy named "Sammy" in a wheelchair that was clearly on the tail end of his life, and he was always in the same place on my walk home from the grocery. He was largely incoherent and had mental issues, so my roommate and I would frequently give him food and drinks from our grocery bags. It's tough, because the homeless out here are a mixture of con artists, mentally disabled, and good people down on their luck, so it does pull at your heart strings from time to time, but the safest thing is to just say no politely and move on.
Some of these mentally ill, disabled, and down on their luck panhandlers are worth $2.5 million dollars . That S550 parked around the corner might belong to one of those panhandlers .

Bogus Beggar Gary Thompson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis