Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM

104 posts, read 149,021 times

Advertisements

Please don't **** off Broadripple Guy! LOL You wouldn't like him when he's angry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM

105 posts, read 144,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenPro View Post
AMEN! I couldn't get out of Indy fast enough for all the reasons outlined above. People who live in Indy are just too narrow-minded to look in the mirror. I have lived all over the world, and Indy was BY FAR the worst in terms of bigotry, sexism, chauvinism, and religious fundamentalism. I lasted in Indy for 4 years before I moved my family away. I was afraid that my children would become narrow-minded, uncultured Jesus freaks if we stayed a minute longer. I have found something positive to take away from every other place I have lived... not Indy. I'd think twice before moving to this city.

Can BRG PLEEEEEEEESE respond to this? PRETTY PLEEEEESE???? Haha!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,735,312 times
Always guaranteed vaudeville on the Indy forum. A completely certainty.

Most of you make fun of BRG...while still being within 2 (maybe 3) standard deviations of his baseline for ALL things Indy.

Not being able to accept someone else may not like Indy is proof of this. Just tell them they are the problem. Keep in mind...NY is not for everyone, Seattle is not for everyone, Miami is not for everyone....Chicago is not for everyone...it's actually accepted in these cities if someone wants to say that city is not for them.

Surely not the case with Narnian cities. Yes, they do exist.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM

629 posts, read 768,398 times
Ill address 2 of the OP complaints. Nature, sure Indianapolis and the surrounding areas isnt exactly a beautiful mountain range or even a thick forest like I came from in Upper Michigan. It is surround by countryside however and if you get out into the right places you would find some interesting things about this countryside. For instance, there was all kinds of wild life in upper Michigan but most people never saw it because they didnt get into the woods. In a thick forest you have to get into the forest to see wild life because thats where most of it stays to avoid people. I was driving down an old country road a couple summers ago and I look into the harvested cornfield next to me and there is about 6 deer running as fast as my car and hurdling each property fence as it came up. for probably 2 miles I drove along side these deer while ran through the country side, it was stunning. I had never seen white tail in such away. Up north you might catch them a dawn or dusk on the edge of a field or if you bait them into your blind in a swamp. I live on a Lake wiht a couple creeks that feed into sow we have wildlife all the time around where I live. Ive seen beaver, deer, raccoons, opoosom snakes, fox coyote, hawks all kinds of different birds. And thats the point, I see the wild life just driving in my car because its not a foresxt its country side

Ok then Indiana is also a very old state with a huge amount of history. My wife is very Catholic and likes to take us to Terre haute to attend mass at ST mary of the Woods. Mother Theodre Guerin arrive in that area in the 1600s and established an outpost and mission before most Europeans new where this place was. So im driving on Morrisville pike a couple months ago and I hit a T in the road where im looking at this old delaplated building. It looked kind of odd like an old trading post or somethng so I stopped (no ones around) to just look for a second. As I check traffic coming from the left to leave I notice a huge old Concrete pillar with a plaque on it. On this plaque is written a little history about the building im looking at being the oldest general store in Hancock county dating how far back I dont remember. I just think its cool the history that this state has within its borders. Its been around along time and a;lot has happened that Hoosiers take enough pride in to make note of or mark like tthat pillar on the side of the road. And dont get me started about French Lick and W Baden.

As far as Museams and Culture I look at Indys location and how close so many other cities are that have various cultural offerings. Take for instance Louisville. I have a friend who loves Broadway shows. He tells me that Louisville has a teeming theatre community and history and alot of off broadway shows actually open there. He says if you were going to see a broadway show outside of NY that Louisville is the place to do it. St louis, Chicago, Cincinatti and Indy itself. Ive been absolutely on the go since I moved here (small town just outside) 4 years ago.

We go to the Symphony Orchestra for a couple shows a year, and on and on ... in late November it will be the Survival series at the Field house, my 7 and 8 year old love Smackdown

You need to get out more

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM

218 posts, read 460,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

Not being able to accept someone else may not like Indy is proof of this. Just tell them they are the problem. Keep in mind...NY is not for everyone, Seattle is not for everyone, Miami is not for everyone....Chicago is not for everyone...it's actually accepted in these cities if someone wants to say that city is not for them.
Except that it really isn't accepted at all. People defend their cities left and right in every forum on here when some random schmoe comes out of nowhere with both arms swinging. By that same token, every city forum has posters who get indignant at the slightest turn of phrase, and others who are reasonable who can admit that their city has its warts and virtues. And then those who are mindless cheerleaders without even living in the city and have dubious statistics to back up their city's inherent perfection while going to other city's forums to flame them--who in turn get deeply offended by the trolling. (Okay, maybe only Indy has one who belongs to this last typology, but you get the idea)

I mean, what are we supposed to do? Usually these people show up once and disappear, or they are persistently negative and have no intention but to troll. Should we say: "OHHHHHH, BrenPro, wise one, I'm so sorry we humble Hoosiers failed to impress you! Clearly we just don't measure up to your sophistication--teach us how to comb down our cowlicks and fill the gaps between our teeth. Be a missionary of your superior culture, and we, your grateful students, will lap up every lesson!"

Sheesh.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,480,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Except that it really isn't accepted at all. People defend their cities left and right in every forum on here when some random schmoe comes out of nowhere with both arms swinging. By that same token, every city forum has posters who get indignant at the slightest turn of phrase, and others who are reasonable who can admit that their city has its warts and virtues. And then those who are mindless cheerleaders without even living in the city and have dubious statistics to back up their city's inherent perfection while going to other city's forums to flame them--who in turn get deeply offended by the trolling. (Okay, maybe only Indy has one who belongs to this last typology, but you get the idea)

I mean, what are we supposed to do? Usually these people show up once and disappear, or they are persistently negative and have no intention but to troll. Should we say: "OHHHHHH, BrenPro, wise one, I'm so sorry we humble Hoosiers failed to impress you! Clearly we just don't measure up to your sophistication--teach us how to comb down our cowlicks and fill the gaps between our teeth. Be a missionary of your superior culture, and we, your grateful students, will lap up every lesson!"

Sheesh.
BenPro has two posts on C-D, and the OP three. So, yeah, I'd say they were trolling. Ronnie is a very experienced troller.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM

LOL @ that.

I have nothing but praise for Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Miami (hated cities by many on C-D...but it's ok to hate them of course). The only thing I've done is point out certain things about "Narnian" cities. I don't even dislike "Narnian" cities - I just think they have a special dynamic about them which should be pointed out. That makes people in these cities upset, and it's just not my fault.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,173,721 times
Quote:
Always guaranteed vaudeville on the Indy forum. A completely certainty.

Most of you make fun of BRG...while still being within 2 (maybe 3) standard deviations of his baseline for ALL things Indy.

Surely not the case with Narnian cities. Yes, they do exist.
Go to the Seattle forum and call them a group of bigoted bible-thumping chauvinistic woman-haters.

If they react 75% favorably, I'll buy into your theory.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM

There's dozens of threads about people not liking Seattle, or the "Seattle Freeze". While some people do get upset, the problem of someone not liking is never blamed on that individual person to the extent it would be in a Narnian cities, which are way too sensitive about someone not liking their city.

It wouldn't make sense to compare Seattle to Dixieland either, knowing it's the complete opposite.

To the original point I wanted to make. A lot of people really do pick on BRG, to my understanding the kid is still in high school and you guys should give him a break.

He may think Indianapolis really is the most impressive city in the world...but most of you fall within 3 standard deviations of this. Admitting that Indy doesn't offer the urban experience of NYC, but it has ethnic food and art galleries, so it's really not that different and Marion County went for Obama by 0.9% in 2008 so Indy is really liberal too just like those cities.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,173,721 times
Quote:
There's dozens of threads about people not liking Seattle, or the "Seattle Freeze". While some people do get upset, the problem of someone not liking is never blamed on that individual person to the extent it would be in a Narnian cities, which are way too sensitive about someone not liking their city.
In this thread, the venomous reactions were geared someone calling Indianapolis and its people bigoted bible-thumping chauvinistic woman-haters. He wasn't offering constructive commentary. If you go to the Seattle forum and say that to them, and they react favorably, I'll give you credence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis